Will Hernandez (UTEP) - Combine

ksg811

Reaction score
I'd be sort of on board with getting an OL in FA, but I'm not seeing a lot of quality OL that are likely to hit the FA market. I think we can get WR later in the draft. This draft is loaded at WR. Same goes with safety, and there's a linebacker that I like that will likely be there in round 4. With the 19th pick, we do also get the 5 year option, and I think that Hernandez or Wynn will warrant the need for the option.

The draft is also loaded at interior OL and they fall year in and year out. Forrest Lamp was a top 20 lock last year and fell to the 2nd, it's just not a valued position. Being sandwiched between two all-pros, their isn't a need for a guy to stand out on his own, he just needs to be adequate. James Daniels, Billy Price, Braden Smith,Frank Ragnow, Mason Cole, Will Clapp, and Austin Corbett are all guys I'd be more than happy with in rounds 2 or 3 that could be solid starters from day 1.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There will be some decent, vet OGs out there. Slauson from the Chargers. Older guys who won't cost an arm and a leg.

Using the 19th pick on an OG is just a complete waste of resources and value at that pick, which is why I wouldn't be stunned to see us do it.

I suppose so with Slauson, but I also don't want Dak getting battered like he did last season.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The draft is also loaded at interior OL and they fall year in and year out. Forrest Lamp was a top 20 lock last year and fell to the 2nd, it's just not a valued position. Being sandwiched between two all-pros, their isn't a need for a guy to stand out on his own, he just needs to be adequate. James Daniels, Billy Price, Braden Smith,Frank Ragnow, Mason Cole, Will Clapp, and Austin Corbett are all guys I'd be more than happy with in rounds 2 or 3 that could be solid starters from day 1.

If Hernandez falls to us at 50, then that'd be PERFECT.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Because we have a ton other needs and have already invested way more in the OL position that just about any other team in the NFL.

We shouldn't need yet another first round OL to "fix" the OL. Go get a good vet, draft a mid to later round project and use your prime picks on bigger needs - WR, TE, DT, DE, LB, S.
we wont make it far until,and only until we properly fix the oline.

Rayman70

Reaction score
sorry guys...I just cant trust Cooper. No reason why we shouldn't be able to fix multiple spots in this draft and free agency. Hernandez at 19, DJ Moore at 50....then draft defense and so on. Justin Reid in round 3 is lookin pretty good.

rkell87

Reaction score
He's not getting out of the first round.
If all the blue chip defensive players are off the board it's a lock either him or Wynn is a Cowboy.
I don't agree at all with at least Hernandez. I think he goes between 28 and 37, possibly to us but I don't think he'll grade out as worthy of our 19th. Seriously the league doesn't value guards in the draft.

bpfred

Reaction score
Again.

What you are saying is that without Hernandez, we can't impose our will on defenses even though the four other OL are first round talents as well. Oh and we have a Top 5 picked TB too.

What's really going to make us impose our will on defenses is adding that 5th stud OL. Only then, can we start to maul defenses.

As I said before, if the difference between this OL mauling people and not mauling people is another OG at 19, then the problem isn't the players on the OL to begin with.

The four returning starting lineman are all better run blockers than pass blockers. At this point, Lael Collins has been quite a bit better as a run blocker, the other three marginally better.

Cooper was a solid run blocker, but he's a free agent and not on the team anymore. Cooper was a terrible pass blocker. This offense really needs a left guard that is a decent pass blocker. There are a number of guys in the draft that may be able to fill that role:

Nelson, Wynn, Daniels, Hernandez, Price, Corbett, Ragnow

I personally also like Rod Taylor of Mississippi. Some of those guys may be a significant improvement in pass protection, and an improvement in run blocking over Cooper.

Our run blocking was fine last year. We ran the ball well, even when Elliot was out. Run blocking isn't the reason we want to upgrade left guard, and why the position may be considered in the 1st round.

For me personally, I would take Taven Bryan in the 1st, if available, and try to get one of the above guys in the second, depending on who else is available. Seven guards going by 50 would be a lot. My guess is that one would be there, particularly guys that are still injured like Wynn and Price. Wynn is coming off shoulder surgery, shoulders tend to be tough rehabs, and he may drop. Shoulders tend to be pretty important for OL...

Sydla

Reaction score
The four returning starting lineman are all better run blockers than pass blockers. At this point, Lael Collins has been quite a bit better as a run blocker, the other three marginally better.

Cooper was a solid run blocker, but he's a free agent and not on the team anymore. Cooper was a terrible pass blocker. This offense really needs a left guard that is a decent pass blocker. There are a number of guys in the draft that may be able to fill that role:

Nelson, Wynn, Daniels, Hernandez, Price, Corbett, Ragnow

I personally also like Rod Taylor of Mississippi. Some of those guys may be a significant improvement in pass protection, and an improvement in run blocking over Cooper.

Our run blocking was fine last year. We ran the ball well, even when Elliot was out. Run blocking isn't the reason we want to upgrade left guard, and why the position may be considered in the 1st round.

For me personally, I would take Taven Bryan in the 1st, if available, and try to get one of the above guys in the second, depending on who else is available. Seven guards going by 50 would be a lot. My guess is that one would be there, particularly guys that are still injured like Wynn and Price. Wynn is coming off shoulder surgery, shoulders tend to be tough rehabs, and he may drop. Shoulders tend to be pretty important for OL...

Hernandez is a question mark as a pass blocker. UTEP was a predominant run team.

That doesn't mean he can't pass block but if you are looking for an OG that will hit the ground running and be an excellent pass blocker, Hernandez might not be that guy.

condoin125

Reaction score
Cooper was garbage and definitely needs to be replaced...just not sure I want to do it in round one at 19....round two I would prefer. Actually, I would really prefer to move Collins back to LG and draft a RT to replace him instead.

I'm sure Hernandez is fine but stop comparing him to Martin and DeCastro; those two are in the convo with Yanda for best Guard in the NFL....Hernandez doesn't belong in that discussion.

Sydla

Reaction score
Also note, that despite some claims in this thread, Hernandez hasn't really climbed the mocks like some suggested. He's most definitely not in the same class as Nelson.

And if I had a gun to my head and had to take an OL at 19, it would be Wynn or even one of the OTs.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Hey, he's a lifter. We had one of those once. Lifted 600 pounds and little kicker off his feet and told him to do his ******* job!! Dat Larry guy

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Went heavy in defense last year while holding onto D-Law and Irving on top of bringing in Richards to coach gives me the Wynn/Hernandez gut feeling. Kinda pushes the Dak friendly narrative only with a exclamation point.