Will Hernandez (UTEP) - Combine

Sydla

Reaction score
I prefer Hernandez over Wynn. Maybe this is unsound logic but Wynn's scouting report is really similar to Cooper's. In fact they both played at 6'2" 302 lb. I think. I know Cooper was hurt but he has generally underperformed. I just think Hernandez will be far better in the long run. I want road grader power at left guard. With that line Zeke would have huge holes.

Wynn can and has played OT. Hernandez can’t.

The flexibility gives him the nod IMO.

Centex

Reaction score

At shorter than 6'3 will he really be able to play it well beyond college?

I would rather not count on it.

Sydla

Reaction score
At shorter than 6'3 will he really be able to play it well beyond college?

I would rather not count on it.

I am not counting on him to be a starting OT for us. But having flexibility in case on injuries gives him more value to me if I am taking an OL at 19.

Hernandez is a pure OG. He’s nothing like Martin who also could play OT in a pinch.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The Combine can get you excited about prospects and even tunnel vision.
I will say this, if you had never seen, heard, or knew anything about Hernandez prior to the Combine...
He is clearly a man amongst boys.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Again.

What you are saying is that without Hernandez, we can't impose our will on defenses even though the four other OL are first round talents as well. Oh and we have a Top 5 picked TB too.

What's really going to make us impose our will on defenses is adding that 5th stud OL. Only then, can we start to maul defenses.

As I said before, if the difference between this OL mauling people and not mauling people is another OG at 19, then the problem isn't the players on the OL to begin with.

I agree to a point, but Hernandez will be such a boost for our already potent oline. Plus, like I said, he'd be the safe choice at 19.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I prefer Hernandez over Wynn. Maybe this is unsound logic but Wynn's scouting report is really similar to Cooper's. In fact they both played at 6'2" 302 lb. I think. I know Cooper was hurt but he has generally underperformed. I just think Hernandez will be far better in the long run. I want road grader power at left guard. With that line Zeke would have huge holes.

Exactly, and that's what Hernandez would give us.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Still, I'm not so sure about our LG position. Cooper is listed as an UFDA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys#Current_roster, other than that, we don't really have a lot of options at LG. So, Hernandez becomes the smart choice if available because A. he's the safe pick, and B. He's a mauler of a LG. Though, with that being said, I'd also be fine with Wynn. If we get either Wynn or Hernandez at 19, I'd be excited.

DanA

Reaction score
I just think you improve your weakest players that play the most snaps. Guard is right up there in that regard.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Suddenly Hernandez at 19 doesn’t seem so crazy. Add Settle at 50 and I would be happy

Not understanding posters wanting Hernandez BUT not at 19. Some wanna pull back a bit. The difference between 19 and let say 25 or 28 isn't worth the risk of losing your # 1 target IMO. If he's your guy, why not pull the trigger and be done.

ghst187

Reaction score
If your arguement is he is a 2nd round guy...ok..I am running his draft card up at 50 and high fiving everyone. He may be the best olineman in this draft period. I dont say that lightly. Love the 2 Notre Dame kids..but this beast belongs in that same convo.

yep for sure, NO WAY he lasts till 50. Feel confident saying he'll be gone in Rd 1. If we don't take a OG in round 1 and this guy is there to start day 2 we should burn up the phones to move up and get him.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am still hoping they sign an OG and make this all moot.

diefree666

Reaction score
Hernandez is a larger Zack Martin with very similar skillsets. My LORD..to have 2 starting guards who are punishing and nasty would be almost like having another weapon.
He is nowhere near Martin in actual playing ability