Will Jerry get rid of McCarthy at end of the year or drag his feet?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It would be nice if they actually knew what a young, up and coming coach looked like, who is innovative and is strong enough to set his culture despite the Jones interference.

im not sure the Jones twins watch enough football outside the Cowboys to find a Vrabel, do they even know who Eric Bienemy is? They know Lincoln Riley, were they seriously aware of Matt Rhule’s background?

comfort (campo, Garrett), name retread coaches (McCarthy, Phillips) are the way they operate. Unless they need a stadium built (parcells).

I'd be scared to hire Eric Bienemy. It's like hiring an assistant that works with Belichick and Brady.

John813

Reaction score
It's a 5 year deal. Probably over 6mil a year.

Jerry ain't eating ~24mil next year.

We held onto Garrett, Rod, and other coaches way too long. They won't cut this one early unless McCarthy wants to get fired and does dumb stuff.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Listen.. IF you tell me McCarthy was put in a horrible position with the offseason and and the injury bug then sure I will buy it.

My problems though are as stated above.. Packers getting better.. Having 2 NFL Goats at QB for him..

I think McCarthy is just a good ole boy buddy hire and I have seen nothing that makes me think he is an answer and not a problem. Like there is nothing to point to.

It upset me he didn't want to call plays. Especially after he said he would never do that again after giving it up in GB.

I agree with the last part. That stunned me after his interview saying he would never give it up. Guess he was trying to keep continuity.

As for the rest, I can read him. This is still a guy who had a long tenure, win many seasons and took them to a SB where they had like 20 injuries. In fact this board used to use him as an example of what Garret was not.

But I can’t read him now. But from the players speaking out I’m assuming they didn’t like a “tough” guy. They don’t like being pushed.

It’s funny we always complained that our D was so simplistic etc where teams could predict. Now we have a guy coaching D where guys are saying it’s too much. Overall I just think we have lazy players

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Mike was the safe Jerry hire. Not the best choice for what really needed to be done but the best choice out of the choices that Jerry was really going to make. I was all in on Urban Meyer but Jerry was never going that route.

I view Mike much like Wade, happy to have a head coaching job and willing to roll with what ever that entails. The organization of the front office ends up compromising the HC, that's just how it is here.

That all said, he is going to get next year to right the ship for all the reason everyone has listed. Something major would have to implode for him not to survive this year. Hopefully Mike can reshape the locker room over the off season, much like Parcells had to do, bring in guys who can lead by example and know what it takes to win at the top level of play. No one on the current roster knows those things. They've been to a play off game or two under Garrett and he had no clue how to win.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy was a bad choice. I said that before we hired him and I don't see any signs for optimism with McCarthy going forward.

The reasons he was fired for in GB raised a lot of red flags for me and the fact he had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his QB's and knowing we didn't have that here concerned me.

Also, the Packers have been better without him..

My concern with Jerry is he likes to make sure things are really this bad. He likes to sacrifice extra seasons and make sure he was wrong. We have to see failure sometimes 2 or 3 seasons with players before ownership makes a move.

Now to be fair to McCarthy the injury bug hit us and it hit us hard and the pandemic happened as well. It would've been tough to overcome.. But.. What can we even point to as a single positive?

The country club move is to keep McCarthy and let everyone know Jerry will pay you millions. I think they like McCarthy a lot and make every excuse imaginable for him.

I heard Greenberg on the radio this AM saying he expects Dallas to completely hit the blow up button. He said he thinks Zeke and Dak are gone and the reasoning was that the cap will actually be shrinking when they expected it to go up.

We also need a lot and we don't have the resources to put a team on the field with a championship ceiling.

you had a good argument going until you mentioned Dak and Zeke leaving.

both are at their prime.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Mike was the safe Jerry hire. Not the best choice for what really needed to be done but the best choice out of the choices that Jerry was really going to make. I was all in on Urban Meyer but Jerry was never going that route.

I view Mike much like Wade, happy to have a head coaching job and willing to roll with what ever that entails. The organization of the front office ends up compromising the HC, that's just how it is here.

That all said, he is going to get next year to right the ship for all the reason everyone has listed. Something major would have to implode for him not to survive this year. Hopefully Mike can reshape the locker room over the off season, much like Parcells had to do, bring in guys who can lead by example and know what it takes to win at the top level of play. No one on the current roster knows those things. They've been to a play off game or two under Garrett and he had no clue how to win.

Something major has happened.

the season imploded.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Thats what sucks about being a fan of this team..

We sacrifice seasons for Jerry's ego and his unwillingness to quickly correct a mistake. It has to be an obvious failure to everyone for him to do something.

Unfortunately we have to make sure it's this bad again in 2021 and Jerry has nothing to sell that McCarthy is the guy for this job other than his own optimism about it.

JBS

Reaction score
You are asking for Jerry to dump about 20-25m by firing mccarthy after 1 year..never going to happen

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I agree with the last part. That stunned me after his interview saying he would never give it up. Guess he was trying to keep continuity.

As for the rest, I can read him. This is still a guy who had a long tenure, win many seasons and took them to a SB where they had like 20 injuries. In fact this board used to use him as an example of what Garret was not.

But I can’t read him now. But from the players speaking out I’m assuming they didn’t like a “tough” guy. They don’t like being pushed.

It’s funny we always complained that our D was so simplistic etc where teams could predict. Now we have a guy coaching D where guys are saying it’s too much. Overall I just think we have lazy players

except Nolan’s coaching history is a defensive train wreck.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
you had a good argument going until you mentioned Dak and Zeke leaving.

both are at their prime.

Not my argument. Mike Greenberg said it on the radio..

I would definitely do my best to get away from Zeke's contract as well as Dak's.

Dak and Zeke are terrible value.

I also said I would've signed Tom Brady to a 2 year deal but a lot on this forum hated it because he was just too old.. Tampa is looking like a Superbowl favorite right now.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
No. Just like he didn't get rid of Jimmy Johnson in his first season with only ONE win!

conner01

Reaction score
This is random but I’ll post it in this thread since we are speaking about what to do at the end of the year.

This was posted in the draft zone by another user.

It’s a radio segment discussing how to get Trevor Lawrence to Dallas.

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/c...n-for-the-cowboys-to-acquire-trevor-lawrence/
There is only one way to get lawrence
Sux worse than the rest
I would gut 2-3 drafts to get him when a 30 year old Tom Brady couldn’t win with this defense
We have to fix this defense
If we end up winning the sux race then you have to take Lawrence but I’m not trading a ton of picks to get him if it was my decision

conner01

Reaction score
It's a 5 year deal. Probably over 6mil a year.

Jerry ain't eating ~24mil next year.

We held onto Garrett, Rod, and other coaches way too long. They won't cut this one early unless McCarthy wants to get fired and does dumb stuff.
That’s part of it
But also not many owners out there would fire a veteran coach after just one year
Let alone a year with an off season and injuries like this year
Someone may get fired but I doubt it’s McCarthy

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he regrets firing Gailey after only 3 years, why would he fire McC after 1?

Flamma

Reaction score
Listen.. IF you tell me McCarthy was put in a horrible position with the offseason and and the injury bug then sure I will buy it.

My problems though are as stated above.. Packers getting better.. Having 2 NFL Goats at QB for him..

I think McCarthy is just a good ole boy buddy hire and I have seen nothing that makes me think he is an answer and not a problem. Like there is nothing to point to.

It upset me he didn't want to call plays. Especially after he said he would never do that again after giving it up in GB.

Sadly, I think the Texas Frog is right in regards to the time frame. But I'm not a BigMac fan so it's easy for me to be on your side. But I think they'll give him 3 years. The only way I see him being gone is if Dallas shows little to no improvement from here on out. Then I think BigMac is a 2nd year cut.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Seriously, he is here at least into next year and probably should be.

Nolan OTOH is gonna have to fall on the sword.

No choice there....and it's the right move.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It would also require the Jones Boyz to admit they made another in a line of bad decisions, which would hurt them in the place they least like it--their egos. McCarthy is going nowhere this year. Too many built in excuses and the Jones Boyz will do their best to convine themselves they are on the right track. They did it for ten years with Garrett.
That's pretty much where things are at the moment.

Well said.

Verdict

Reaction score

Hard to evaluate MM. This offense was historically good while Dak was healthy. Historically good. That’s good, right? The reason they are not now is :injuries.

Now the defense is historically bad, but that’s not a new deal. Maybe that’s coaching, or maybe that’s players or maybe that’s both. But he just chopped two pieces of dead wood and traded another starter off. So he’s not standing pat.

Im not sold on Nolan, but I’m not writing him off either. I think the culture has been really bad here. Mediocrity has been enough. I don’t think it is with MM. We will see. How many rings does Rodgers have since MM left? That knife cuts both ways.

Im in wait and see mode on MM. But I do like the fact that he is making changes. I like our draft picks this past year. I think we are about to se them all play.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hard to evaluate MM. This offense was historically good while Dak was healthy. Historically good. That’s good, right? The reason they are not now is :injuries.

You won't get anyone outside of the Jones's and people on this forum to buy into that.

Especially when we started out offensively like we did against the Rams and then played 3 of the worst pass defenses and just did what everyone else was doing against bad defenses while struggling in the first half of some of those games.

We've barely had a lead this year. Like barely. So save me the historically great offense. The situation is the cause of the big numbers.