Will Jerry get rid of McCarthy at end of the year or drag his feet?

Dre11

Reaction score
you can't compare McCarthy tenure to Garrett, McCarthy has no ties to the Cowboys Garrett had ties to the Cowboys since before the 90's he was brought up a cowboy of course that played a part in his long tenure, I don't see Mike getting longer than 2 to 3 years, although I think he probably should get at least 5

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
JC, CATCH17 is the most simplistic, reductionist poster on this site. MM had Favre and Rodgers hence he was just a dumb mook that backed into a SB even though both of those guys have come out in defense of MM in the last two weeks. Just a dumb fat mook that couldn’t coach his way to a title in an 8th grade middle school league.

Here’s a clue and MAYBE you’ll get it but we both know you probably won’t. Get this in your head. There isn’t a lot of difference between the worst staff in the league and the best staff in the league. The gap is not huge. What really really matters is having talent on the field and a competent FO capable of consistently acquiring that talent. When it comes to football knowledge and translating that to the field, the gap between staffs in this league is not huge. Any staff would struggle with the injuries we’ve had and the dearth of defensive talent we have on the roster.

What matters to you and why you are constantly starting brain dead threads like this is that YOUR OPINION is validated. It’s about the ridiculous, groundless assertions that you’re making from your couch in wherever the hell you live and not about what is actually best for the team. Like a fan boy, you want Urban Meyer because you’re convinced he’d be THE ANSWER. The next Jimmy Johnson. It’s similar to how you want to jettison Dak because he’s not Pat Mahomes and you’ve convinced yourself Trevor Lawrence is. These are groundless assertions from an opinionated fanboy. You don’t KNOW any of this and yet want to blow up a staff seven games in because you think you know. This is the type of reactionary decision making that Jerry Jones has been accused of and blasted for his entire time with the Cowboys.

MM is not getting fired after one season with the train wreck off season and the injuries we’ve sustained. It’s not happening and further more, it’s the RIGHT thing to do. Sure, there will be some staff turnover undoubtedly. However, you have nothing to justify firing MM other than your “feels” which lets lot forget, your “feels” led to you proclaiming Dalton the equal of Dak lmao.

You’re a “right fighter” and you want everyone to know you’re right even when you’re demonstrably wrong. Stop littering the board with dumb threads.

That's a lot of typing just to say you like doing things the Jerry Jones way and CATCH17 is looking at trends that win Titles around the league and I would rather ignore them and do things the Jerry Jones way.

When I say things in the offseason like we should move up in the draft for Herbert, Burrow, or Tua you're the guy calling me an idiot.

When I say things like i'd sign Tom Brady on a 2 year deal and let Dak walk you're the guy calling me an idiot.

When I say things like McCarthy is a lackluster hire and the fact GB is doing better without him and we should take a risk on someone like Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley you're the type calling me an idiot.

You like doing things the Jerry way... I get it.. And Jerry's way will provide a lot of exciting Sundays and a nice 50/50 brand of football for you to enjoy.

I would rather do something radical and draft Pat Mahomes even though Alex Smith is not my problem.

I'd rather give up on the league leader passer in Jameis Winston and go sign a Tom Brady and go all in for 2 years.

I would rather give up EARLY on someone like Josh Rosen if I feel like I got a better option looking at me in the draft.

These radical moves are paying dividends for those teams.

OR we can do the smart thing like you and Jerry like to do.. The secret sauce type of stuff and watch our Superbowl continue to be a wildcard win once every 5 years.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Agree.

It's also about credibility. Would the players adopt the same approach if Bellichick was in charge?

Obviously not.

The players seemingly think McCarthy is a clown.
MM is a good man for sure and he sure knows football but he lacks vision and creativity

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
That's a lot of typing just to say you like doing things the Jerry Jones way and CATCH17 is looking at trends that win Titles around the league and I would rather ignore them and do things the Jerry Jones way.

When I say things in the offseason like we should move up in the draft for Herbert, Burrow, or Tua you're the guy calling me an idiot.

When I say things like i'd sign Tom Brady on a 2 year deal and let Dak walk you're the guy calling me an idiot.

When I say things like McCarthy is a lackluster hire and the fact GB is doing better without him and we should take a risk on someone like Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley you're the type calling me an idiot.

You like doing things the Jerry way... I get it.. And Jerry's way will provide a lot of exciting Sundays and a nice 50/50 brand of football for you to enjoy.

I would rather do something radical and draft Pat Mahomes even though Alex Smith is not my problem.

I'd rather give up on the league leader passer in Jameis Winston and go sign a Tom Brady and go all in for 2 years.

I would rather give up EARLY on someone like Josh Rosen if I feel like I got a better option looking at me in the draft.

These radical moves are paying dividends for those teams.

OR we can do the smart thing like you and Jerry like to do.. The secret sauce type of stuff and watch our Superbowl continue to be a wildcard win once every 5 years.

That’s a lot of typing trying to justify being a reactionary fan boy who thinks running an NFL franchise is like playing Madden on easy mode lol

And yes I think you’re an idiot lol

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That’s a lot of typing trying to justify being a reactionary fan boy who thinks running an NFL franchise is like playing Madden on easy mode lol

And yes I think you’re an idiot lol

I pointed to specific examples that NFL teams did. Nothing Madden about it.

The only thing "Madden like" is drafting a QB that we would have to move up for to get which looks like won't be a problem this year.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
I pointed to specific examples that NFL teams did. Nothing Madden about it.

The only thing "Madden like" is drafting a QB that we would have to move up for to get which looks like won't be a problem this year.

Yeah? Because Dak just sucks so bad, right?

At some point in your strategic fantasy world of delusion we will have the best player at every position playing on a rookie contract lmao

Dre11

Reaction score
Agree.

It's also about credibility. Would the players adopt the same approach if Bellichick was in charge?

Obviously not.

The players seemingly think McCarthy is a clown.

even if Belichek was here they wouldn't adapt. Bill's big stick that he carry would be a twig in Dallas, Jerry looms large and larger than anybody in that building. They follow the beat of his drum. He again made that loud and clear just a couple days ago.

Brax

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy was a bad choice. I said that before we hired him and I don't see any signs for optimism with McCarthy going forward.
The reasons he was fired for in GB raised a lot of red flags for me and the fact he had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his QB's and knowing we didn't have that here concerned me.
Also, the Packers have been better without him..
My concern with Jerry is he likes to make sure things are really this bad. He likes to sacrifice extra seasons and make sure he was wrong. We have to see failure sometimes 2 or 3 seasons with players before ownership makes a move.
Now to be fair to McCarthy the injury bug hit us and it hit us hard and the pandemic happened as well. It would've been tough to overcome.. But.. What can we even point to as a single positive?
The country club move is to keep McCarthy and let everyone know Jerry will pay you millions. I think they like McCarthy a lot and make every excuse imaginable for him.
I heard Greenberg on the radio this AM saying he expects Dallas to completely hit the blow up button. He said he thinks Zeke and Dak are gone and the reasoning was that the cap will actually be shrinking when they expected it to go up.
We also need a lot and we don't have the resources to put a team on the field with a championship ceiling.

To much $$$$ invested in MM contract coupled with JJ age doesn't make a full rebuild attractive to Jerry at this time IMHO. I believe MM is here 1 more year and Dak is here at least 1 more year (unless they have the first or second pick in draft which I don't see) then the ultimate decision will be made on what to do, I may be all wet but just can not see Jerry admitting he was so wrong and if you think some folks on this board have excuses Jerry has a lot more and has no problem using them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
even if Belichek was here they wouldn't adapt. Bill's big stick that he carry would be a twig in Dallas, Jerry looms large and larger than anybody in that building. They follow the beat of his drum. He again made that loud and clear just a couple days ago.

When guys like a Belichick or Brady come into your building the standards go up and teams and other players on the roster move mountains in order to try and Win.

When you under perform like we do here and you reward guys for that then that is the standard you set.

Players in Dallas know that they can be treated like Superbowl champs and paid like it without ever doing what it takes to accomplish that.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
To much $$$$ invested in MM contract coupled with JJ age doesn't make a full rebuild attractive to Jerry at this time IMHO. I believe MM is here 1 more year and Dak is here at least 1 more year (unless they have the first or second pick in draft which I don't see) then the ultimate decision will be made on what to do, I may be all wet but just can not see Jerry admitting he was so wrong and if you think some folks on this board have excuses Jerry has a lot more and has no problem using them.

MM can be fired with cause, such as incompetence.

getting out of the contract is not a problem.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You think there is a provision in McCarthy's contract where Jerry can just say he is incompetent and not pay him?

Brax

Reaction score

Just not happening and there is no out in his contract unless he punches Jerry out.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I’d hope not....mm deserves another year to see what he can do. Change position and assistant coaches sure- but mm should get 1 more year

doomsday9084

Reaction score
IMO there is a good chance Dallas blows it up and sucks again next year. In that situation, Jerry will be paying MM if he fires him or not. Might as well keep him around as a fall guy and then hire another coach when the team starts to progress.

Nolan is a goner though.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
@CATCH17 from your lips to God's ears, but I don't believe it. Jerry stuck with Garrett for nearly 10 years and he's loathe to make quick decisions. We're stuck in a permanent purgatory, with no escape.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Listen.. IF you tell me McCarthy was put in a horrible position with the offseason and and the injury bug then sure I will buy it.

My problems though are as stated above.. Packers getting better.. Having 2 NFL Goats at QB for him..

I think McCarthy is just a good ole boy buddy hire and I have seen nothing that makes me think he is an answer and not a problem. Like there is nothing to point to.

It upset me he didn't want to call plays. Especially after he said he would never do that again after giving it up in GB.

the biggest red flag in my opinion is the team has quit on McCarthey...when a team quits on a coach you gotta fire him....as much as we all hated Garrett...the team never quit on him

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think about the severance checks Booger would have to write with coaches in their first year. He's already shown a reluctance to pay coaches to leave.

basel90

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy was a bad choice. I said that before we hired him and I don't see any signs for optimism with McCarthy going forward.

The reasons he was fired for in GB raised a lot of red flags for me and the fact he had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his QB's and knowing we didn't have that here concerned me.

Also, the Packers have been better without him..

My concern with Jerry is he likes to make sure things are really this bad. He likes to sacrifice extra seasons and make sure he was wrong. We have to see failure sometimes 2 or 3 seasons with players before ownership makes a move.

Now to be fair to McCarthy the injury bug hit us and it hit us hard and the pandemic happened as well. It would've been tough to overcome.. But.. What can we even point to as a single positive?

The country club move is to keep McCarthy and let everyone know Jerry will pay you millions. I think they like McCarthy a lot and make every excuse imaginable for him.

I heard Greenberg on the radio this AM saying he expects Dallas to completely hit the blow up button. He said he thinks Zeke and Dak are gone and the reasoning was that the cap will actually be shrinking when they expected it to go up.

We also need a lot and we don't have the resources to put a team on the field with a championship ceiling.

looks like jerrry will give him at least 2-3 years and is taking the blame and credit for the players talent .

Jerry is going to be active in the trade and FA and draft day .

Dak deal could end up not being done if jerry wants the money to change the current roster. There is already a lot of dead cap money .

Either way , we have arrived at the rock bottom this year , so it really cannot get worse than a 5-11 or 4-12 year at this stage.