Will Jerry get rid of McCarthy at end of the year or drag his feet?

fivetwos

Reaction score
It would be nice if they actually knew what a young, up and coming coach looked like, who is innovative and is strong enough to set his culture despite the Jones interference.

im not sure the Jones twins watch enough football outside the Cowboys to find a Vrabel, do they even know who Eric Bienemy is? They know Lincoln Riley, were they seriously aware of Matt Rhule’s background?

comfort (campo, Garrett), name retread coaches (McCarthy, Phillips) are the way they operate. Unless they need a stadium built (parcells).
A Sean McVay type that can handle both of the idiots and command a locker room at the same time.

People thought Garrett was that, but his personality (if you want to call it that) wasnt strong enough, and I dont believe that he related to players very well.

He seemed like a robot, not a person. Disingenuous.

Rams players love McVay and would kill for him.

Never got the impression Dallas players felt that way about Garrett, and then it became a paycheck culture.

We do kind of need that type around here....and Bienemy definitely fits....but MM was brought in to win now with a supposed roster that was ready to do the same.

If the circumstances have changed, maybe the coach should as well... but I dont at all believe Jerry and son think we are at that point.

Its debatable whether this is fixable or blow it to shreds.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Not my argument. Mike Greenberg said it on the radio..

I would definitely do my best to get away from Zeke's contract as well as Dak's.

Dak and Zeke are terrible value.

I also said I would've signed Tom Brady to a 2 year deal but a lot on this forum hated it because he was just too old.. Tampa is looking like a Superbowl favorite right now.

you will get your wish around 2023/2024.

Zeke will be 28/29 and near the end of his prime years as a RB.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/

fivetwos

Reaction score
Simple....

He was brought in to win now.

Everyone gets one mulligan, so bring him back next year.

If he doesnt get it headed in the right direction you blow it up and start new when all those deadweight contracts can be after 2021.

I just wish as an organization they pick a defensive philosophy and hire a guy that runs it. Not spend all these premium picks drafting for Nolans scheme then dump him.

Swagger

Reaction score
I will be horrified if he is not sacked at the end of the season. The guy is done in the NFL. Washed up. Finished. Prehistoric. Only a matter of time before he starts working on the radio somewhere.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Everyone's who is screaming for his head should bear in mind that the Dallas head coaching job becomes much less attractive to stellar prospects if the previous guy was dumped without having been given a fair shot.

Valkyr

Reaction score
The fact that Mike was hired so quickly after meeting with Jerry always concerned me. It sounded for all the world like Mike spun a tale that a football simpleton like Jerry bought hook, line, and sinker.

But I am certainly not willing to give up on the guy yet. If Garrett got ten years, Mike should get at least two.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy was a bad choice. I said that before we hired him and I don't see any signs for optimism with McCarthy going forward.

The reasons he was fired for in GB raised a lot of red flags for me and the fact he had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his QB's and knowing we didn't have that here concerned me.

Also, the Packers have been better without him..

My concern with Jerry is he likes to make sure things are really this bad. He likes to sacrifice extra seasons and make sure he was wrong. We have to see failure sometimes 2 or 3 seasons with players before ownership makes a move.

Now to be fair to McCarthy the injury bug hit us and it hit us hard and the pandemic happened as well. It would've been tough to overcome.. But.. What can we even point to as a single positive?

The country club move is to keep McCarthy and let everyone know Jerry will pay you millions. I think they like McCarthy a lot and make every excuse imaginable for him.

I heard Greenberg on the radio this AM saying he expects Dallas to completely hit the blow up button. He said he thinks Zeke and Dak are gone and the reasoning was that the cap will actually be shrinking when they expected it to go up.

We also need a lot and we don't have the resources to put a team on the field with a championship ceiling.

I always thought Cowherd was a member of Cowboys Zone and he is Catch-17. Anyway I think Jerry is too stubborn to admit he made a mistake with MM. To be honest this is Garrett’s team that Jones built for 10 years. Big Mike needs to get his guys in there. I don’t think Belichick could coach these guys. Jerry has to make a decision, if he keeps MM he will need to get rid of the players. I would actually include Dak in the getting rid of the players because he is leader of the team.

Loso86

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy was a bad choice. I said that before we hired him and I don't see any signs for optimism with McCarthy going forward.

The reasons he was fired for in GB raised a lot of red flags for me and the fact he had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his QB's and knowing we didn't have that here concerned me.

My concern with Jerry is he likes to make sure things are really this bad. He likes to sacrifice extra seasons and make sure he was wrong. We have to see failure sometimes 2 or 3 seasons with players before ownership makes a move.

Now to be fair to McCarthy the injury bug hit us and it hit us hard and the pandemic happened as well. It would've been tough to overcome.. But.. What can we even point to as a single positive?

The country club move is to keep McCarthy and let everyone know Jerry will pay you millions. I think they like McCarthy a lot and make every excuse imaginable for him.

I heard Greenberg on the radio this AM saying he expects Dallas to completely hit the blow up button. He said he thinks Zeke and Dak are gone and the reasoning was that the cap will actually be shrinking when they expected it to go up.

We also need a lot and we don't have the resources to put a team on the field with a championship ceiling.

I agree to some of this, but 1 year with no real offseason, and a new scheme = hes going no where

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
McCarthy will be here next year, and we will look unprepared and have a rash of injuries again, just like this year. His Green Bay teams always had a slew of injuries too.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Jerry looking for a Yes man.. and i don't see MM as a disciplinarian he is more like Wade Philips

things JJ has to do :
1-a new disciplinarian coach
2- a new quarterback
3- trade or cut lazy players .
start fresh

Swagger

Reaction score
Jerry looking for a Yes man.. and i don't see MM as a disciplinarian he is more like Wade Philips

things JJ has to do :
1-a new disciplinarian coach
2- a new quarterback
3- trade or cut lazy players .
start fresh
Agree.

It's also about credibility. Would the players adopt the same approach if Bellichick was in charge?

Obviously not.

The players seemingly think McCarthy is a clown.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I didn't like the choice either, still don't, but I don't see Jerry pulling the plug after one season.

Between Covid and Dak's injury he'll have plenty of rationalizations as to why his great hiring decision looked like a total flop.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I didn't like the choice either, still don't, but I don't see Jerry pulling the plug after one season.

Between Covid and Dak's injury he'll have plenty of rationalizations as to why his great hiring decision looked like a total flop.
He is coming back for at least next year.

Nolan will take the fall.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who's Jerry going to be able to hire if he shows a coach only has one season to prove himself, even in a season with next to no training camp and no preseason games to install his ideas? I'm leery of McCarthy myself at this point, but he will and should get a 2nd season.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
JC, CATCH17 is the most simplistic, reductionist poster on this site. MM had Favre and Rodgers hence he was just a dumb mook that backed into a SB even though both of those guys have come out in defense of MM in the last two weeks. Just a dumb fat mook that couldn’t coach his way to a title in an 8th grade middle school league.

Here’s a clue and MAYBE you’ll get it but we both know you probably won’t. Get this in your head. There isn’t a lot of difference between the worst staff in the league and the best staff in the league. The gap is not huge. What really really matters is having talent on the field and a competent FO capable of consistently acquiring that talent. When it comes to football knowledge and translating that to the field, the gap between staffs in this league is not huge. Any staff would struggle with the injuries we’ve had and the dearth of defensive talent we have on the roster.

What matters to you and why you are constantly starting brain dead threads like this is that YOUR OPINION is validated. It’s about the ridiculous, groundless assertions that you’re making from your couch in wherever the hell you live and not about what is actually best for the team. Like a fan boy, you want Urban Meyer because you’re convinced he’d be THE ANSWER. The next Jimmy Johnson. It’s similar to how you want to jettison Dak because he’s not Pat Mahomes and you’ve convinced yourself Trevor Lawrence is. These are groundless assertions from an opinionated fanboy. You don’t KNOW any of this and yet want to blow up a staff seven games in because you think you know. This is the type of reactionary decision making that Jerry Jones has been accused of and blasted for his entire time with the Cowboys.

MM is not getting fired after one season with the train wreck off season and the injuries we’ve sustained. It’s not happening and further more, it’s the RIGHT thing to do. Sure, there will be some staff turnover undoubtedly. However, you have nothing to justify firing MM other than your “feels” which lets lot forget, your “feels” led to you proclaiming Dalton the equal of Dak lmao.

You’re a “right fighter” and you want everyone to know you’re right even when you’re demonstrably wrong. Stop littering the board with dumb threads.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
With how often you post Cowherd videos. I’m starting to think you are him.

Lmao. I was going to say the same thing. The same Cowherd video that told us how Dalton was not a drop off from Dak at all and it would actually be a blessing in disguise. Cowherd is a blowhard moron.

mrmojo

Reaction score
He 100% didn't do his due diligence at all.

He followed the Rooney rule and then quickly hired McCarthy.

I was all for the high upside coaching hire like Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley. That is where I would've gone.

McCarthy hire was about as bland and boring of a hire as they could've made but McCarthy is a NFL family member and they wanted to get him back in the league. A complete Retread that has a ring because he coached one of the best QB's of all time.
It was the Wade Phillips hiring all over again. Although I wanted someone younger and hungrier (if that possible with MM) Jerry will give him another year because of all that's happened in 2020, then maybe changes will be made, but I'm not counting on it.

Last edited: