Will Lawrence Become Too Expensive

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm leaning this way also........especially if stays healthy and continue playing at his current level for the next 6-7 games. We have seen flashes over the last couple years........
He would not sign now. He's on pace for a banner year. We don't know what coaches know in the way of how risky an investment he'd be. We've seen his stellar play so far, impressive stats and he's said the right things. It's a long season but he's building his case by the week

Aven8

Reaction score
Dlaw is a way better talent than Crawford. Bad comparison.

It worked out with Scandrick. You see how that works...

Oscan was consistent the moment he stepped on the field here. That's a bad comparison. Crawford and Dlaw have been very inconsistent.

robjay04

Reaction score
I'm always sceptical when players surprisingly have their best season when it's a contract year.

I get what you’re saying but I trust the team knows the player enough to make that judgement.

He looked like a stud in his sophomore season, many were predicting last year to be his breakout season. The suspension and injuries derailed what looked to be a promising season in preseason.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Dlaw is a way better talent than Crawford. Bad comparison.

It worked out with Scandrick. You see how that works...

And it didn't work out real well with Jay Ratliff. It looks like it won't work out with Dez either. I'm just saying...let's sign guys long term if they are physically and MENTALLY stable. If not, then don't and look at other alternatives: franchise tag, free agency, etc...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I would wait on him for now. He's struggled to stay healthy and consistent. I think it's fair to say that he should have been labeled as more of a project when we drafted him and he's starting to get everything to gel. But, I want to see some sustained production for an entire year before I start giving an extension.

YR

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
And it didn't work out real well with Jay Ratliff. It looks like it won't work out with Dez either. I'm just saying...let's sign guys long term if they are physically and MENTALLY stable. If not, then don't and look at other alternatives: franchise tag, free agency, etc...
It worked out real well with Tyron. We can do this all day. Look around the league. Teams all over have given out extensions early for ascending players. This isn't exclusive here in Dallas.

MagicMan

Reaction score
I stand locked arm in arm with the Cowboydom that feels at worst, franchise the guy.... make him prove to you his back can stand more than ONE season and earn the money he will make. Then pay him if he does deserve it. Simple as that.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Signing him long term is a terrible idea.

He is never healthy and has already been suspended. I have no issue letting him go especially at 15 million a year.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Breaking Out: Will DeMarcus Lawrence Become Too Expensive for Cowboys?

Jess-Haynie.jpeg

https://insidethestar.com/breaking-will-demarcus-lawrence-become-expensive-cowboys/
By

Jess Haynie

Published on September 24, 2017
With 3.5 sacks in just his first two games of 2017, defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence is on his way to a breakout season. With his rookie contract expiring this year, what does this mean for his financial future and his potential to remain with the Dallas Cowboys?

Big things have always been expected for Lawrence, who Dallas who with the 34th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. Dallas surrendered their third-round pick that year to Washington to move up 13 spots and draft DeMarcus. While he didn’t have to be Reggie White or even DeMarcus Ware to live up that investment, the Cowboys certainly expected him to become a key part of their defense......

FYI ..........here are franchise tag numbers 2017 ( he'll cost us $17M for another year )

The NFL announced the franchise tag salaries for the 2017 season. Any player tagged receives a one-year, fully-guaranteed contract valued at the five highest paid at the position.

NFL Scouting Combine 2017: Who are Jets watching on Day 1
The set figures are below:

Quarterback: $21.268m
Running back: $12.120m
Receiver: $15.682m
Tight end: $9.780m
Offensive line: $14.271m
Defensive end: $16.934m
Defensive tackle: $13.387m
Linebacker: $14.550m
Cornerback: $14.212
Safety: $10.896m
Kicker/punter: $4.835m

Jesus cant we enjoy him for half a season before even thinking about the future, sheesh

Wood

Reaction score
He's only 25 years old, and in his one healthy season he had 8 sacks. Now he's on pace for a monster season in his second healthy season.

If he puts up double digit sacks this year I franchise him for sure. Make him do it two years in a row, and if he does that then he deserves the monster deal we would then give him.

Bad backs rarely get better. If he has break-out season Dallas should franchise him AND sign tier 1-2 FA DE. I would be surprised to see Dallas extend him on large contract.

wilfred

Reaction score
Future big money is a great painkiller, I'm sure once he signs, the back pain will be unbearable.
It's a tough call