Will Lawrence Become Too Expensive

perrykemp

Reaction score
It worked out real well with Tyron. We can do this all day. Look around the league. Teams all over have given out extensions early for ascending players. This isn't exclusive here in Dallas.

Tyrone was good on Day 1.

D-Law has a total of 12.5 so far in his career and averaged 2.8 sacks per season until this year.

This screams BE CAREFUL are it relates to contract extension.

Section446

Reaction score
He's easily replaced, not worried about losing him. Maybe slap him with the franchise tag for a year, we aren't going to spend much in FA anyway.

btcutter

Reaction score
Bad backs rarely get better. If he has break-out season Dallas should franchise him AND sign tier 1-2 FA DE. I would be surprised to see Dallas extend him on large contract.

I agree. Back is tricky. They don't get better. Ask Romo and Tiger.

Verdict

Reaction score
Talent wise, Lawrence is a pretty solid player who is sort of how Crawford was viewed when he was extended. That hasn't turned out well.

I would extend Lawrence if we got him for what he is currently, not what he may become and let the team have the upside for free. You can't pay him as if he is going to get 20 sacks this year since that's not realistic. He is low sack guy historically, with potential, injury concerns and a suspension. You don't pay top dollar for that ****.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Tyrone was good on Day 1.

D-Law has a total of 12.5 so far in his career and averaged 2.8 sacks per season until this year.

This screams BE CAREFUL are it relates to contract extension.
Tyron was not great day 1. Struggled some at RT

But your point stands.

This is an obvious situation where you tell DLaw...we can make you a rich man but you're not setting the market today or we can franchise you and you can bet on yourself.

Dlaw's call.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Really worked out well with us and Tyrone Crawford lol

If he can actually stay healthy all season and produce I'm in

kumizi

Reaction score
Let's see what he can do over a whole season first.

He has played against two bums the first two weeks. Encouraging but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Verdict

Reaction score
Don't worry! If we let Lawrence walk we still have the LONG TERM PROJECT Taco that should start playing decent in his contract year!!!

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Maybe.

Not sure I would ink and extension now... With his back issues you may want to see how he finishes the season.

Then you could either resign him or let him do the free agency thing and maybe get a comp pick.

The other option is to franchise him, let him play the '18 season under the franchise tag and then make a decision.

Cowboys may need the franchise tag in the '19 season for Martin.
Whats the best comp pick we could receive for Lawrence if he continues to have a breakout season?

John813

Reaction score
Far too early to talk numbers.

If he breaks double digit sack totals, which shouldn't be too hard having 4 already in 2 games, then maybe franchise him.

Injury history and only having 1 possible good/very good season are factors in holding off a big deal.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Breaking Out: Will DeMarcus Lawrence Become Too Expensive for Cowboys?

Jess-Haynie.jpeg

https://insidethestar.com/breaking-will-demarcus-lawrence-become-expensive-cowboys/
By

Jess Haynie

Published on September 24, 2017
With 3.5 sacks in just his first two games of 2017, defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence is on his way to a breakout season. With his rookie contract expiring this year, what does this mean for his financial future and his potential to remain with the Dallas Cowboys?

Big things have always been expected for Lawrence, who Dallas who with the 34th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. Dallas surrendered their third-round pick that year to Washington to move up 13 spots and draft DeMarcus. While he didn’t have to be Reggie White or even DeMarcus Ware to live up that investment, the Cowboys certainly expected him to become a key part of their defense......

FYI ..........here are franchise tag numbers 2017 ( he'll cost us $17M for another year )

The NFL announced the franchise tag salaries for the 2017 season. Any player tagged receives a one-year, fully-guaranteed contract valued at the five highest paid at the position.

NFL Scouting Combine 2017: Who are Jets watching on Day 1
The set figures are below:

Quarterback: $21.268m
Running back: $12.120m
Receiver: $15.682m
Tight end: $9.780m
Offensive line: $14.271m
Defensive end: $16.934m
Defensive tackle: $13.387m
Linebacker: $14.550m
Cornerback: $14.212
Safety: $10.896m
Kicker/punter: $4.835m

What are the odds that all of a sudden Lawrence is REALLY this good? I think what we are seeing is not only a contract year, but he has played against low end tackles the first two weeks. Ill be very interested to see if he can keep this up. But if the guy has like 15-17 sacks this year and keeps up the pace I dont see how we let him walk. I might franchise the guy for one year and see if he can continue it. As opposed to giving him like 13 million/year for 5 years and running that risk.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Cap guys can chime in, but looking at the next 3-4 years, if we don't sign him the cap isn't a valid excuse.

I'm not saying the cap won't be the excuse, but even with Martin and Zeke and Dak coming up, the cap space is there. For the record, I think DLaw is a slightly above average DE, so no way would I pay him a huge deal, and there is little doubt some team will offer him a huge deal. I wouldn't argue against using the tag if he beasts all year.

FaSho

Reaction score
I'm always sceptical when players surprisingly have their best season when it's a contract year.

I really think it has less to do with the fact that it's a contract year, and more to do with him being healthy finally. The contract year certainly doesn't hurt, but he's always given a lot of effort on the field.

TheHerd

Reaction score
When is Crawford contract done?

His contract runs through 2020. But there's a slight cap gain in cutting him next offseason (1.8M) and a bigger savings the year after (5.9M). Both years would involve a fair amount of dead money of course, the savings is just the difference between the cap hit if he stays vs. if they cut him. The part everyone always seems to forget is that if you cut him and get the savings, you still have to replace the roster spot and that costs cap money too.

The coaches love him and seem to value position flex over anything else, so I'd be a little surprised if he's cut this offseason at least.