Will Lawrence Become Too Expensive

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Franchise him and if he puts up another good year show him the money. A 26 year old DE with this type of production is worth signing. If he can put up two years of injury free play I feel confident in his back.

I do not like signing him now long term. Health risk is still too concerning with it being a back.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well I wonder if he will still be on the left side when Irving returns. Both are really LDEs, haven't really seen anything good out of DLaw on the right.

Maybe they will put Irving at DT on passing downs, although I really don't like him there. We still aren't getting alot of production or pressure from the RDE.

cml750

Reaction score
Well we have not played any top offensive lines so far but the kid has looked amazing. Can he do this on the other side? Can he stay healthy? Is this just another contract year effort or are we finally seeing what a healthy Lawrence can do? We have to answer those questions before we spend big money on him. If we make a mistake like we did with Crawford it will really hurt our cap. We almost have to franchise him next year to see if he can keep this up(assuming he keeps it up the rest of this year).

superonyx

Reaction score
I don't see that happening. Do you?
Not a chance in the world.
But it sure is fun to watch. I’m surprised how easily he has made it look to dominate pro level RT’s these last 3 games. Maybe he hasn’t played against pro bowl Tackles but they have at least been average players. Think about how many near sacks he has on top of his sacks. It’s bizarre.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Yea and Claiborne would be our best CB if he were still here. Instead, we have Nolan Bum Carroll starting and getting torched every snap
giphy.gif

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can work out a good deal now do it if not franchise

HanD

Reaction score
I've always vocalized that i preferred dallas not trade up for dlaw and had gone after tra turner and kony ealy instead with those picks. i ate those words last night and loved every minute of it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
1. With his injury history, you make him prove it all season.

2. A true pass rusher is never too expensive; if he ends up with 12-15 sacks and stays healthy, he gets paid, whatever it takes.

You don't whine about pass rush for years and watch your secondary exposed and then pinch pennies over a true pass rusher.....but DLaw hasn't proven he's overcome his history yet.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Maybe we should have extended Irving after the GB game he dominated.

DLaw's issue has been his health; he has to complete the season to prove he deserves to be paid.

John813

Reaction score
Well I wonder if he will still be on the left side when Irving returns. Both are really LDEs, haven't really seen anything good out of DLaw on the right.

Maybe they will put Irving at DT on passing downs, although I really don't like him there. We still aren't getting alot of production or pressure from the RDE.

With how D-Law is playing, I doubt they move him for Irving. If it is working, don't change it.

Maybe we'll see Irving subbed in more at LDE and then at DT on obvious passing downs.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
For all the posters saying franchise him ........notice below at a $17M tag would make him the 2nd highest paid DE in the NFL. Not only that, the tag would then be his floor for any future contract talks. I'm thinking if we can get to sign let say 3-year deal averaging 13-14M .........we should do it. We save $3-5M, plus minimize our risk a bit with only a 3-year deal.

2017 Defensive End Cap Hit Rankings

PLAYER
CAP HIT

Muhammad Wilkerson
DEFENSIVE END $18,000,000
Olivier Vernon
DEFENSIVE END $16,000,000
J.J. Watt
DEFENSIVE END $14,500,000
Ezekiel Ansah
DEFENSIVE END $12,734,000
Cameron Jordan
DEFENSIVE END $12,047,000
Michael Bennett
DEFENSIVE END $11,268,750
Akiem Hicks
DEFENSIVE END $10,706,450
Calais Campbell
DEFENSIVE END $10,500,000
Jerry Hughes
DEFENSIVE END $10,450,000
Tyrone Crawford
DEFENSIVE END $10,350,000

Franchising him is just another tool in the tool box. Its not the best case scenario by any means, however if he demands big guarenteed money based on one year of elite production we may have no other choice. Not sure if hed sign the deal you speak of and guaranteed money will be the biggest sticking point.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, they'd franchise him or sign him.

Honestly if he gets 13-15 sacks, I'd rather they tag him than sign him long term. If ever there was a candidate for a "Show me it's not a fluke" deal it would be him. Looks amazing right now however, hope he keeps killing it. He looks so good on the left side I wonder where you play Irving when he comes back since that is primarily his side when he's not inside.

kevm3

Reaction score
If you franchise him, he is gone the following year. He wants to be hete and we might be able to get him pn a reasonable deal.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
When I saw him multiple times on the sideline at some crucial moments I thought if he wants big $$$ he should be out there for these moments in addition to the sacks ... might be a point against him .. Lee never takes himself out and he tackles more than anyone in the world

:cool:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
When I saw him multiple times on the sideline at some crucial moments I thought if he wants big $$$ he should be out there for these moments in addition to the sacks ... might be a point against him .. Lee never takes himself out and he tackles more than anyone in the world

:cool:

Pretty sure that's the coaches call.

LittleD

Reaction score
Besides the Crawford extension, the Cowboys have gotten steals with all of their extensions.

Tyron, Scandrick, and Lee were extended and are bargains at their current contracts.

I don't think 3 years gets it done, but I like your thinking.

No way, at this point, he would sign a 3 year deal and his agent wouldn't let him. If he keeps up an All Pro pace, he's either going to
be franchised or we'll get two no. 1's for him. He would probably only sign a 5yr 110mil 60mil guaranteed deal at minimum. If you want
a War Daddy, you have to figure out how to pay the man.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right now just happy he is healthy and making the impact many of us hoped he would. As for contract for me that should be discussed at the end of the year DLaw still has to show he can bring it game in and game out through out the season.
Real pleased thus far.

LittleD

Reaction score
If you franchise him, he is gone the following year. He wants to be hete and we might be able to get him pn a reasonable deal.

He might want to be in Dallas but, money talks and BS walks. His agent will be fielding offers all day and twice on Sunday. He is not going to come cheap even if this is just a contract year. Probably will have trouble paying Martin and Lawrence the quan.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
I like most of the comments here. However, I like trend analysis and one outlier isn't going to sway me. If the contract is reasonable, then fine sign him. However, numbers don't lie. He is having a really productive sack year thus far. But what about pressures? What about stopping the run or funneling traffic back to other defenders? These are my questions and I can't tell you enough to speak intelligently about it. However, it hasn't passed my eye test. Did he JUST get it? Has his motivation been solely about money? If so, let him walk. I want a player that is seemingly motivated by success and has an internal drive. If it's just about money, then perhaps a series of one year contracts would be in order?

Just my random thoughts, but I am fine with letting him walk if others on the team step up, particularly the younger players. We can't afford everyone and I believe we may have needs elsewhere that need to be addressed.