Will Lawrence Become Too Expensive

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Right now just happy he is healthy and making the impact many of us hoped he would. As for contract for me that should be discussed at the end of the year DLaw still has to show he can bring it game in and game out through out the season.
Real pleased thus far.

Is he 100% healthy? He seemed winded last night. I wasn't sure if it was a back issue or that he just couldn't get in shape due to the back and he's getting there. I figure 6.5 sacks in 3 games is pretty good. It just looked like he needed more rest than I would have expected. However, that's just my opinion. Is this normal in perhaps players that are going all out?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Is he 100% healthy? He seemed winded last night. I wasn't sure if it was a back issue or that he just couldn't get in shape due to the back and he's getting there. I figure 6.5 sacks in 3 games is pretty good. It just looked like he needed more rest than I would have expected. However, that's just my opinion. Is this normal in perhaps players that are going all out?

Sure he was winded, he was playing his ars off. I think much of the endurance issue is a result of the NFLPA and their rules about cutting practice and players not having the overall endurance they need at the start of the season because they are not getting the work in that is needed in this game

jrumann59

Reaction score
1. With his injury history, you make him prove it all season.

2. A true pass rusher is never too expensive; if he ends up with 12-15 sacks and stays healthy, he gets paid, whatever it takes.

You don't whine about pass rush for years and watch your secondary exposed and then pinch pennies over a true pass rusher.....but DLaw hasn't proven he's overcome his history yet.
Suggs is not a huge sacks guy, but he does provide a lot of pressure when not injured.

TheHerd

Reaction score

Pretty good? This is the third time in NFL history a player opened the season with 3 multiple sack games. Ever. This is better than pretty good so far.

Not saying he needs to get war daddy money right now, but he's been way beyond pretty good so far this year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Too expensive or not, it's not my money -- I'll just let Stephen and Jerry worry about that. I likely wouldn't complain if they decide to franchise him if he keeps it up, though. As things now stand, I strongly admire his talent and will do so even more if he sees fit to continue playing hard in seasons when he's not in his contract year. It seems like forever since we've had a pass rusher with anything approaching that kind of ability. If he's able to maintain what he's doing now, we'll really have something special. :)

Last edited:

diefree666

Reaction score
Health. Its all about how healthy he is and can maintain and we really have no clue there. His back problems are NOT going to get better.
I would franchise him next season if he continues to shine this season; and if he shows that he can stay on the field then NEXT year we try and sign him.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Pretty good? This is the third time in NFL history a player opened the season with 3 multiple sack games. Ever. This is better than pretty good so far.

Not saying he needs to get war daddy money right now, but he's been way beyond pretty good so far this year.

Well I don't want to get in a war of words. I just want to see how he ends the year. I can call him awesome (not thinking he is), but okay better than good in the sack department. :thumbup:

I left another post about my concerns. I just don't want to overpay or pay off of one year. Seems the team is drafting better, so I will accept him walking if the front office deems it the right thing to do.

Something tells me that he is not going to be worth the money in this scheme. Will he stay on the field most of the time or will be want to rotate linemen making it perhaps more important to spread the wealth?

Anyhow, yeah better than good, but enough to warrant a huge pay day? Don't know yet.

Verdict

Reaction score
The Giants OTs and the Cards OTs aren't very good. I don't know what to think about Denvers OTs and that game in general.

It is nice to see DLaw dominate inferior OL. That's a great start but you don't pay DEs top money for that. You pay them the big bucks to see them get a crutial sack against a top level OT when you really need it. Let's hope DLaw becomes so dominant we have to pay him.

Right now he isn't DWare. Let's see if he can become DWare.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hard to let a 25-year-old, double-digit sack guy walk. Those are the guys every team is always trying to find.

yep, if he keeps this up, he will be getting a huge payday from the Cowboys.

irishline

Reaction score
Maybe we should have extended Irving after the GB game he dominated.

DLaw's issue has been his health; he has to complete the season to prove he deserves to be paid.

Irving is an RFA after this year. So we have him on the cheap for two more years. Why extend him now or last year?

Last regular season: 2 games against "Bay" teams (2.5 sacks), 14 games against non-"Bay" teams (1.5 sacks). Let's see how well he performs against teams who don't end in "Bay" this year first. :D

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/david-irving-17136/http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/david-irving-17136/

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Unless Dallas gets a sweetheart deal it makes no sense for them to do anything.
Tank is ours for the season and likely would at worst get tagged.
17 is a large cap hit but it's also a pittance compared to guaranteeing 30-40 M to a guy with severe back issues.

Besides he's one flare up away form being much, much cheaper to re-sign.

The dumbest thing you can do is re-sing a guy at his very highest point which is now as he leads the league in sacks.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Well I don't want to get in a war of words. I just want to see how he ends the year. I can call him awesome (not thinking he is), but okay better than good in the sack department. :thumbup:

I left another post about my concerns. I just don't want to overpay or pay off of one year. Seems the team is drafting better, so I will accept him walking if the front office deems it the right thing to do.

Something tells me that he is not going to be worth the money in this scheme. Will he stay on the field most of the time or will be want to rotate linemen making it perhaps more important to spread the wealth?

Anyhow, yeah better than good, but enough to warrant a huge pay day? Don't know yet.

Yup, we absolutely don't know yet. But he's balling at a ridiculous level for three games. But it's only three games.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Giants OTs and the Cards OTs aren't very good. I don't know what to think about Denvers OTs and that game in general.

It is nice to see DLaw dominate inferior OL. That's a great start but you don't pay DEs top money for that. You pay them the big bucks to see them get a crutial sack against a top level OT when you really need it. Let's hope DLaw becomes so dominant we have to pay him.

Right now he isn't DWare. Let's see if he can become DWare.

True to a point.

No he is not DWare.

But DWare never had a statistical start to the season a good as this one. This one has been historic. And I'm sure DWare played his share of lousy OT's.

That being said, no, the Cowboys should not resign him now.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It's a great start, but want to see him get consistent pressure throughout the season. I hope we finally found a War Daddy, he has the rest of the season to prove he deserves the title and the money.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Unless Dallas gets a sweetheart deal it makes no sense for them to do anything.
Tank is ours for the season and likely would at worst get tagged.
17 is a large cap hit but it's also a pittance compared to guaranteeing 30-40 M to a guy with severe back issues.

Besides he's one flare up away form being much, much cheaper to re-sign.

The dumbest thing you can do is re-sing a guy at his very highest point which is now as he leads the league in sacks.
Spending 17m in one cap hit is the worst way to go about it

You give him 4/40m and spread the hit over 5-6 years.....1st year hit of 5m

If you go to the tag then you immediately set the 17m as the floor and not the ceiling...look at Cousins

drawandstrike

Reaction score
I'll never understand this mindset.

"I'm SORRY guyz, I *can't* enjoy this season, what's happening right now. Because I'm keeping it real yo....so I'm focusing almost exclusively on WORRYING about losing Lawrence next season!"

I worry about the offeseason.....when the offseason gets here. Never, ever even waste a thought on it before then.