Will McCarthy have us better than 8-8 or worse?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
let’s be real.

that why he hired Nolan. It isn’t because Nolan is some elite DC.

that why Edwards was brought in from the Vikes. And given the Senior Defensive assistant title, whatever that means.

let’s be honest.

By all means, let's try to be real if you can. Nolan was responsible for the Saints' defense recovering from the sorry state they were in before they were introduced into being a contender. Guys like you are why some Dallas Cowboys fans are considered hopeless cases. If someone gave you a 100 dollar bill, I'll bet you'd likely complain if it were wrinkled. Nolan hasn't even had a chance to participate in game one with the Cowoys before he's already being condemned as a failure by the likes of one like yourself. Try being enough of a good sport to allow him a fair chance to prove himself.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
By all means, let's try to be real if you can. Nolan was responsible for the Saints' defense recovering from the sorry state they were in before they were introduced into being a contender. Guys like you are why some Dallas Cowboys fans are considered hopeless cases. If someone gave you a 100 dollar bill, I'll bet you'd likely complain if it were wrinkled. Nolan hasn't even had a chance to participate in game one with the Cowoys before he's already being condemned as a failure by the likes of one like yourself. Try being enough of a good sport to allow him a fair chance to prove himself.

ask your ATL buddies what they think about Nolan.

he wrecked their defense.

there’s a reason he hasn’t been a DC since 2014, the year he was FIRED as DC.

he stinks.

just because M hired his old buddy, who gave MM a job as OC back in 2005, doesn’t mean we fall in line and head down the Bend But Don’t Break road again, which is the scheme Nolan uses.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just saying that is not an easy schedule and after the Jets game, there are no easy games in the league, this is no Alabama playing The Citadel here on that schedule. Now looking at that schedule right off the begals may be the easiest game.

We also don't have that Garrett anchor weighing down the ship any longer. 'The Jets game' doesn't happen under this coaching staff.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
We also don't have that Garrett anchor weighing down the ship any longer. 'The Jets game' doesn't happen under this coaching staff.

Agree, was under the last regime so long, I have to pinch myself to make sure I am not on an episode of the Twilight Zone and they are still here.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I'm glad Garrett is gone but the Jets finished 7-9 after losing 3 games with a 3rd string QB signed off the street.

People talk about "the Jets game" like they were the 1989 Cowboys. Still glad Garrett is gone, though.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

he stinks.

just because M hired his old buddy, who gave MM a job as OC back in 2005, doesn’t mean we fall in line and head down the Bend But Don’t Break road again, which is the scheme Nolan uses.

I don't have any ATL buddies -- perhaps you do, though. You might try waiting for just cause to assume he'll be a failure in Dallas before jumping to such conclusions. I'm not interested in the least what he's done in the past. What he does with the Cowboys is infinitely more important to me. I'll wait to see him with them before jumping to the preconceived assumptions that you so favor. If he fails with them, there's no doubt that you'll be delighted. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score

he stinks.

I don't have any ATL buddies -- perhaps you do, though. You might try waiting for just cause to assume he'll be a failure in Dallas before jumping to such conclusions. I'm not interested in the least what he's done in the past. What he does with the Cowboys is infinitely more important to me. I'll wait to see him with them before jumping to the preconceived assumptions that you so favor. If he fails with them, there's no doubt that you'll be delighted. :rolleyes:

I’m playing the odds.

his coaching record stinks.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Still so much time trying to defend Garrett. That veil of 'objectivity' is shattered. You've outed yourself.

Who is defending Garrett? I said others will be blaming him this coming season if the team fails to better their record with the same players.

I think it is fairly laughable that so many here discount wins under a staff but hammer away at their failings. I just believe the Cowboys in general are not close to as talented as so many on here and the media (whose job it is to sell excitement) purport. Keep blathering away about my supposed defense of Garrett though since you feel you know my intent so well.

The thing is, I believe this team is pretty good-ish. Pretty well put together. Definitely better at offensive line play ever since they drafted Tyron, Travis, and Zack (though age and health are starting to shake that up). This coincides with less impact from the defensive front (though that could be because of Marinelli not having top notch all pros littered across the line to protect his rep). They may have a key injury or two that hurts their chances, and they do not have top notch depth to cover. Or it could go the other way, and the Cowboys benefit from another team's misfortune. They do not seem to have the necessary talent to beat the best teams at any greater rate than they currently do, and I doubt the new head coach will be taking this squad to the NFC championship or SB any time soon. They look like also rans with about 15 other teams hovering around the same level. Maybe 8 teams are the top of the league, 15 or 16 mid tier teams, another 8 or so bottom feeders. You sometimes have to shake the boat hard to snap out of that mid pack. The ownership of this team has no trouble selling the mid tier as a SB hopeful squad. Much of this fanbase has no issues buying the same crap year after year, as long as they basically never have to spend time with the bottom feeders (which the league hates just as much. Messes up TV ratings and possibly revenue).

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I’m playing the odds.

his coaching record stinks.

He had a good year in 2014 with the Falcons. His last 2 years there were marred by very poor defensive talent. That'll get any DC in trouble every time. We've had the same exact problem with the Cowboys for years. It wouldn't be at all surprising if it happened there again as well -- until at least such time as that situation changes for the better.

I won't hold my breath for a miracle until their talent is much better off than it is at present. Without a doubt, that might take a while, from the looks of things. The Cowboys haven't afforded their defense the talent it takes in quite some time, especially with Marinelli being allowed to call the shots there. That's really on the Cowboys' management as much as anything else.

Coaches are only as good as the talent available for them to coach. Like I've said before, I don't expect miracles, especially so, when the talent isn't conducive to success. Reasonable fans don't expect miracles when the defensive talent is sorely lacking. You probably shouldn't, either.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Consensus is that coaching is what held us back, right? Then consensus should be that McCarthy, being a Superbowl winning coach in his own right, gets us over the hump. NFCCG here we come.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is a decent football coach with a lot of experience. The Cowboys have too much talent to go 8-8 and I would fully expect this team to be 10-6 or 11-5. I like the way McCarthy has assembled his own staff because that tells me he has been given some control. He has better leadership quality to him than Garrett and I hope he believes in scheming for opponents. Biggest issue for McCarthy I see is I think Daks reached his ceiling and can McCarthy get enough consistency and accuracy out of him to win in the playoffs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm glad Garrett is gone but the Jets finished 7-9 after losing 3 games with a 3rd string QB signed off the street.

People talk about "the Jets game" like they were the 1989 Cowboys. Still glad Garrett is gone, though.

But let's be honest, they certainly weren't a team that was good enough to have beaten the Cowboys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Consensus is that coaching is what held us back, right? Then consensus should be that McCarthy, being a Superbowl winning coach in his own right, gets us over the hump. NFCCG here we come.

Sure, make every excuse on the book for your failed hero for over a decade and then make immediate demands of the new head coach. Put your hypocrisy on full display, in case there's anyone out there that still doesn't know.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is defending Garrett? I said others will be blaming him this coming season if the team fails to better their record with the same players.

Newsflash! You are. And I don't care what yiu choose to admit or deny. I'm telling you exactly what you ARE doing.

I think it is fairly laughable that so many here discount wins under a staff but hammer away at their failings. I just believe the Cowboys in general are not close to as talented as so many on here and the media (whose job it is to sell excitement) purport. Keep blathering away about my supposed defense of Garrett though since you feel you know my intent so well.

And I think you're "utterly laughable", with your constant defending of a decade long failure coupled with a denial in doing it.

The thing is, I believe this team is pretty good-ish. Pretty well put together. Definitely better at offensive line play ever since they drafted Tyron, Travis, and Zack (though age and health are starting to shake that up). This coincides with less impact from the defensive front (though that could be because of Marinelli not having top notch all pros littered across the line to protect his rep). They may have a key injury or two that hurts their chances, and they do not have top notch depth to cover. Or it could go the other way, and the Cowboys benefit from another team's misfortune. They do not seem to have the necessary talent to beat the best teams at any greater rate than they currently do, and I doubt the new head coach will be taking this squad to the NFC championship or SB any time soon. They look like also rans with about 15 other teams hovering around the same level. Maybe 8 teams are the top of the league, 15 or 16 mid tier teams, another 8 or so bottom feeders. You sometimes have to shake the boat hard to snap out of that mid pack. The ownership of this team has no trouble selling the mid tier as a SB hopeful squad. Much of this fanbase has no issues buying the same crap year after year, as long as they basically never have to spend time with the bottom feeders (which the league hates just as much. Messes up TV ratings and possibly revenue).

They didn't have the coaching talent. They certainly had the player talent. And everyone that covered the NFL knew it, or do you conveniently forget that anytime anyone talked about the Cowboys they said that? What they never said, and rightfully so, was that the Cowboys ever got great coaching under the Garrett regime, because they didn't.

And it finally got to the point where the head cheerleader and chief excuse maker even had to realize it. And chase his adopted son out of the building, kicking, screaming, and begging. And provided Garrett hasn't managed to completely squander the championship window, this group of actually capable coaches will do great things with the player talent they still do have and hopefully manage to retain.

I'll remember that "anytime soon" line regarding the new coach, from yet another guy trying to defend Garrett's decade of failure and not coming close to the same level yiu immediately expect out of the new coach. Double standards on full display.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amen. And that's not the only one. At a minimum the Cowboys should have been 10-6.

I'm loving these people putting their hypocrisy and double standards on display for the world to see. Excuses for Garrett for a decade, but big expectations and requirements from McCarthy in year one. Exposing themselves.

:laugh:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Anyone else think this is pretty hard schedule?
Cowboys Home: Commanders, Giants, Eagles, 49ers, Cardinals, Steelers, Browns, Falcons
Away: Commanders, Giants, Eagles, Seahawks, Rams, Ravens, Bengals, Vikings