Will McClay comments on possible draft strategy shift with Zimmer as DC

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
This is fine and I like when they address needs but I won’t like it if they feel like rookies and draft picks will be plug and play guys and come in and get this team over the hump. I just have a feeling that’s what they’ll do…sign a jag veteran lineback and hope a rookie pans out at the position.

Of course when they approach the draft looking for needs only and not best player available - it can end with them picking duds

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is fine and I like when they address needs but I won’t like it if they feel like rookies and draft picks will be plug and play guys and come in and get this team over the hump. I just have a feeling that’s what they’ll do…sign a jag veteran lineback and hope a rookie pans out at the position.

Of course when they approach the draft looking for needs only and not best player available - it can end with them picking duds
Well you build a team through the draft

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Well you build a team through the draft
You’re missing the point completely. The draft is always important lol but the cowboys have a habit of hoping guys pan out or relying on rookies to step in and immediately contribute at positions of needs when in actuality it typically takes young players a year or 2 to make major contributions in the way we need these guys to. This over reliance on hope ie the hope lve stays healthy, the hope mazi smith is plug and play usually bites them in the butt.

The core of the team is already built. The cowboys need to plug holes that are stopping them from advancing in the post season and competing against championship caliber teams .The entire off season should be about advancing in the post season and getting the team to the next level- while you obviously don’t neglecting the draft or the future, I just hope they don’t fall into the false hope trap again and look at proven veterans at certain positions of need

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You’re missing the point completely. The draft is always important lol but the cowboys have a habit of hoping guys pan out or relying on rookies to step in and immediately contribute at positions of needs when in actuality it typically takes young players a year or 2 to make major contributions in the way we need these guys to. This over reliance on hope ie the hope lve stays healthy, the hope mazi smith is plug and play usually bites them in the butt.

The core of the team is already built. The cowboys need to plug holes that are stopping them from advancing in the post season and competing against championship caliber teams .The entire off season should be about advancing in the post season and getting the team to the next level- while you obviously don’t neglecting the draft or the future, I just hope they don’t fall into the false hope trap again.
I was being sarcastic unlike you to me, I hear exactly what you're saying!!!!

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I for one am glad the OC and DC are not there. Let the scouts scout. No more falling in love with a certain player..

MikeT22

Reaction score
wonderful..... another talking clown from our front office....sure why don't you just announce to the whole freaking league our draft strategy!!!
Like clockwork for these guys. No wonder we always see teams moving up a spot or two ahead of us taking a player we want.