Will McClay comments on possible draft strategy shift with Zimmer as DC

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
They got big boys in the middle Hankins and Mazi. It’s not like we didn’t have two big boys. Need better obviously but I’m not buying this it’s all figured out now crap

Jarntt

Reaction score
The good news is they are finally seeing what even fans from their couch have seen for over a decade. The bad news is it took too long. On another bad note, I guess McClay has finally succumbed to the Jerry and Stephen method of pretty much just telling everyone what we are looking for on draft day

12+88=7

Reaction score
Extend Prescott and sign Lamb. 40m

Restructure Martin, Lawrence, Diggs, Steele, or Wilson. 50m

Place Gallup and LVE on June 1st cut. 12m

Resign, T. Smith, Pollard, Hankins, and Lewis. 25m

Sign DJ Reader, Lavonte David, and CJ Henderson. 25m

Draft JPJ or OT in 1st. Draft Sweat, Cooper, or Benson in 2nd. McKinney, LB, or Allen in 3rd

Some combination of those players and positions.

FanSince71

Reaction score
One of the big problems with our run defense is that Quinn had the linemen stunting themselves right out of the running lanes. Any RB with vision and patience could find a gaping hole.

I believe Hankins and Mazi (assuming he puts the weight back on) can handle sitting down in the gaps and holding the line.

Quinn, as good as he is, wanted pass rushers. Zimmer wants a balanced defense. I still want a T Sweat because he I can be a game-wrecker, but we might be better off than we think, with the players we already have, because of the new scheme.

Maybe. Just maybe.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

what an idiot. so he's the super draft guy here and didn't want a big guy in the middle for years and now since we got some old washed-up guy he's going to look for a big guy in the middle. And a lb now. how far up jerry's butt has his head been for decades? He just now noticing we need these guys. wow, why not get a TE.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We will see if they actually do it. So far they’re meeting with the right guys.
What suggests they wont? It seems clear that Will's openly saying they formulate the draft strategy to accommodate the Co-Ordinators/HC playing styles/wants.

What is interesting in what he says there and putting it in the context of drafting Mazi......and then the team making him lose weight.

plasticman

Reaction score
The draft isn't going to fix the run defense unless they get a generational player at DT. it generally takes a few seasons for DTs to develop into reliable run stoppers.

The Cowboys would have better odds of Mazi having a breakout season.

It would take a couple of quality free agent moves to improve the run defense for 2024.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’re goin all the way.