News: Will McClay not interested in Texans GM job

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Exactly right. That brings up a point made by a former GM now on the radio. (It may have been Mark Domenick). He mentioned how difficult it is for a GM to get that second chance once he's been fired, and mentioned that it's rare that guys get that second chance.

McClay has a great gig in Dallas. If he's being paid anywhere close to 'GM money', he's got a better deal than any of them. As long as he's putting together good boards with good scouting, he's set. He can't be fired for any decisions that he ultimately didn't make.

Yes. All the blame still gets tossed on Jerry, while when we hit on players, it's all because of McClay. If ego doesn't get in the way, that's a good deal if the money is GM-like.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
rocyaice must be disappointed -- he had high hopes that McClay would either get Jerry's GM title or jump ship for Houston.

Looks like maybe that's not happening -- but, hey, cheer up, dude . . . he'll probably be doing just fine with the Cowboys! ;)

Last edited:

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
They do when he throws the bank at them.
I personally would've taken the Texans job.

No you wouldn't, you dont know what goes on within that FO. Jerry could have given you any kind of deal that could have steered you away from the texans.

Talk is the only thing cheap. I have no doubt that mcclay is overpaid.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The next GM in Houston is going to be a guy with a history of working with Bill O'Brien. That's not Will McClay, and McClay was never going to get the job this go around. He made it clear the last time that job was available in Houston, that he was not interested. He is content with his current situation in the Dallas front office.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Thank the Lord. The adult in the room will stick around a while longer.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Good. I think he does a great job for us and can get along with JJ and SJ. Likely don’t hurt that he is highly paid.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
McClay is probably paid well with zero accountability. Why would he leave again?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
McClay is probably paid well with zero accountability. Why would he leave again?

Come on alex.

I like your posts. You have always something to say that has value, but this...

He is good at his job and we are lucky to have him. Dont discredit his good work with empty catchwords.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Come on alex.

He is good at his job and we are lucky to have him. Dont discredit his good work with empty catchwords.
Like Leave and Why?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Come on alex.

How did I discredit him?