Will Romo's commentating get him into the HOF?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Romo will never be a HOF'er unless he gets there as a Coach, GM or Owner at this point. His playing career fell decently short of HOF consideration and commentating doesn't get you there. Nothing wrong with it.

The HOF is reserved for the very best. It's the "Hall of Fame" not the "Hall of pretty dang good!"

Better numbers than Kurt Warner.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Bwahahahahahahaha...I bet you use a lot of chap stick. Romo was as fragile as a piece of glass, he made Sean Lee look like titanium. He was physically challenged and made several mental mistakes when it mattered most. At least when he’s wrong in the booth it doesn’t cost the Cowboys a W.
He was fragile at the tail end of his career. Before that he played with significant injuries on multiple occasions.

SSoup

Reaction score
I definitely think it would help him from a popularity and relevance standpoint (especially if he, as expected, doesn't get voted in early and relies on a renewed push decades down the line).

Assuming he sticks with it? And maintains a high-profile #1 announcing team job (doesn't get demoted to the 2nd or 3rd team to make room for Brady or Brees or whoever the next flavor of the week is)? And has the good luck of calling lots of great playoff and Super Bowl games, so he's embedded in people's memories of great football experiences? Yeah, he can improve his popularity and that only helps his chances.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
If Tony was the qb of a team like Atlanta or the jets he definitely would get talked about for HOF consideration.

Cowboy quarterbacks won’t get in unless they got a Lombardi or three. The precedent has been set

Also doesn’t help that his teams Mensa level group think fanbase hated him for most of his career.
Matt Ryan isn’t a hall of famer and has a better career than Tony Romo statistics and record wise.

He quietly threw 5,000 yards 35 touchdowns and 7 interceptions this year and yet nobody really cares.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Are you saying Romo can one day be nominated as a broadcaster? That's the issue here....
Yes, he would be a "contributor."

Or he could go as a player and people could be influenced by his announcing.

Though, I suspect coaching will also be on his resume when all is said and done.

fredp22

Reaction score
yeah ok- I heard Babe Laufemberg was doing an ok job at broadcasting and he retired sooner so he will have to get in before Romo
Marino and Emmitt sort of sucked at broadcasting so they should be taken out

Sometimes I really think some of these threads are put in as a joke- this is one of them

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Um. That is not completely true.

Have you ever reviewed the Pro Football Hall of Fame website?

Actually, I did but didn't look at the list of members but now see contributors list. But the issue is OP question and whether or not Romo can get in as a broadcaster. Doesn't change my answer coz even all were directly under NFL umbrella. Hell, as great of broadcaster as Madden was, he's in the HOF only as a coach.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Kevinicus, post: 8996556, member: 856"]Yes, he would be a "contributor."

Or he could go as a player and people could be influenced by his announcing.

Though, I suspect coaching will also be on his resume when all is said and done.[/QUOTE]

I've reviewed the contributor list and still disagree .......all members on that list were directly part of the NFL. Like I said earlier, even Madden is only in as a coach.

*** this I agree with, 100%

Reaction score
Maybe the broadcaster HOF. He definitely should never qualify for Canton. If Cliff Harris isn't there, Romo should never be

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Unless he becomes a successful coach, I don't see him getting in the HOF.
Ring of honor, yes.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
IDK about the HOF, but he is on his way to make Madden type money with his broadcast future..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, I did but didn't look at the list of members but now see contributors list. But the issue is OP question and whether or not Romo can get in as a broadcaster. Doesn't change my answer coz even all were directly under NFL umbrella. Hell, as great of broadcaster as Madden was, he's in the HOF only as a coach.
I mostly agree as I stated in another thread that I linked to within this thread's #15 post:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/will-romos-commentating-get-him-into-the-hof.427661/#post-8995681