News: Will the Dallas Cowboys go after a top free agent?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Will the Dallas Cowboys go after a top free agent?
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/01/31/dallas-cowboys-go-after-top-free-agent/

If Dallas does add a veteran player, it’s usually someone that’s inexpensive, a career role player or a former high draft pick who never lived up to their billing. It seems like the concept of bringing a quality free agent who can actually become a star on the team is an absolute foreign concept to this current regime.

But just maybe, the Cowboys brass learned a valuable lesson from last season. In 2017, Dallas brought in free agent veterans like cornerback Nolan Carroll, defensive tackle Stephen Paea, defensive end Damontre Moore and safety Robert Blanton. By midseason, every single one of them was off the team. It was a complete disaster.But also, kinda par for the course. The offseason before, Dallas brought in former Philadelphia defensive tackle Cedric Thornton on a four-year, $18 million deal. Thornton was released during final cuts last September.

The Cowboys shopping the clearance aisles for free agents has resulted in some terrible signings. An, at some poin,t Dallas has to learn that building a roster is about balance. Completing ignoring free agents that can help your team simply because of their price tag isn’t always the wisest course of action...

According to NFL.com’s Gregg Rosenthal, here are just some of the top 25 free agents scheduled to hit the open market this offseason.

6. Allen Robinson, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars
8. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Seattle Seahawks
9. Ziggy Ansah, DE, Detroit Lions
10. Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami Dolphins
11. Sammy Watkins, WR, Los Angeles Rams
12. Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S, Los Angeles Rams
13. Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams
15. Andrew Norwell, G, Carolina Panthers
16. Malcolm Butler, CB, New England Patroits
17. Dontari Poe, DT, Atlanta Falcons
19. Justin Pugh, G, New York Giants
20. Nate Solder, T, New England Patroits
22. Star Lotulelei, DT, Carolina Panthers
23. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Washington Commanders
24. Morgan Burnett, S, Green Bay Packers

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys will return to 2016 free agency strategy
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/02/01/dallas-cowboys-return-2016-free-agency-strategy/

...Dallas took a year off from retaining their own key free agents and the consequences stung more than they anticipated.

In March 2016, a year prior, the Cowboys also faced multiple free agent departures. Instead of gambling on their wits they re-signed several key contributors. Jack Crawford (DL), James Hanna (TE), Kyle Wilber (LB), Lance Dunbar (RB), Morris Claiborne (CB), and Rolando McClain (LB) were all retained.
Dallas stuck to a protective strategy which resulted in 13 wins and a playoff berth. Expect a return to this strategy after departing from it led to seven losses.

NEW OFFSEASON, OLD APPROACH
Five starters could possibly exit this offseason…Anthony Hitchens (LB), David Irving (DL), DeMarcus Lawrence (DE), Jonathan Cooper (OG), and L.P. Ladouceur (LS)...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They'll have enough issues keeping their own, much less worry about signing anyone else's.

The only move I could see possibly changing their strategy would be for Earl Thomas if he is somehow made available.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I think they will re-sign Hitchens...after getting DLaw done.
I could see a team taking a chance on David Irving and willing to give up a pick.
Martin gets done.
Hitch will be the big f/a surprise for us....keeping him when most thought we'd lose him.

CCBoy

Reaction score

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think they will re-sign Hitchens...after getting DLaw done.
I could see a team taking a chance on David Irving and willing to give up a pick.
Martin gets done.
Hitch will be the big f/a surprise for us....keeping him when most thought we'd lose him.
With guard and safety already top priorities, Hitchens return would push linebacker down the list. A few will be drafted, but likely in the middle rounds unless a gem falls.

https://thelandryhat.com/2018/02/01/dallas-cowboys-return-2016-free-agency-strategy/

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

ksadler1

Reaction score
Yet, the Pats can sign any scrub off their couch and not miss a beat. What does that tell us???

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm in complete disagreement with this article, how about you?

I'd much prefer Cooper back for offensive line cohesiveness than that crazy money he's talking about for Hitchens!

My concern would be quality of depth...from beginning to end.

Me...I'd upgrade cheaper on Cooper, and then sign Cooper as a backup if he wanted to come back.

We once were losing linebackers because Jerry would not pay one over a $1 million bucks. Pay Hitchens his money...match offers, and move need and depth down the listing.

Right this second, safety and guard are top on the list.

Again, me, I'd trade down in one and pick up an additional starter...perhaps DT/S.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yet, the Pats can sign any scrub off their couch and not miss a beat. What does that tell us???
Player acquisition has become better, despite last year's hiccup, due to positioning for a balancing of cap room starting this season.

The bargain bin free agents, last season, bit them in their butts...as depth wasn't adequate for positional deficiencies. Dallas couldn't match Philadelphia then.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Player acquisition has become better, despite last year's hiccup, due to positioning for a balancing of cap room starting this season.

The bargain bin free agents, last season, bit them in their butts...as depth wasn't adequate for positional deficiencies. Dallas couldn't match Philadelphia then.

While I agree with you, this is a trend with Jerry. He comes out almost every year and talks about not overpaying for top free agents and waiting for the "bargains". I can't say I totally disagree with him either. But IMO, this is not a "top tier" player issue. This is more of a coaching / GM issue than anything else. Until things change at that level, things will not change at all...

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I think they will.

I am hoping they resign some players, get a high end FA or two, than let the draft fall to them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My concern would be quality of depth...from beginning to end.

Me...I'd upgrade cheaper on Cooper, and then sign Cooper as a backup if he wanted to come back.

We once were losing linebackers because Jerry would not pay one over a $1 million bucks. Pay Hitchens his money...match offers, and move need and depth down the listing.

Right this second, safety and guard are top on the list.

Again, me, I'd trade down in one and pick up an additional starter...perhaps DT/S.

I'm on the opposite end. Keep Cooper and let someone else pay a "good player" in Hitchens " great player" money.

exciter

Reaction score
They'll have enough issues keeping their own, much less worry about signing anyone else's.

The only move I could see possibly changing their strategy would be for Earl Thomas if he is somehow made available.
Don't believe they're even remotely interested in Thomas. He's almost 30, he won't be capable of producing the production of the contract he'll demand and he's already talked of retiring. He's exactly what they have said you don't sigh in free agency for the last 20 years!

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Will the Dallas Cowboys go after a top free agent?
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/01/31/dallas-cowboys-go-after-top-free-agent/

If Dallas does add a veteran player, it’s usually someone that’s inexpensive, a career role player or a former high draft pick who never lived up to their billing. It seems like the concept of bringing a quality free agent who can actually become a star on the team is an absolute foreign concept to this current regime.

But just maybe, the Cowboys brass learned a valuable lesson from last season. In 2017, Dallas brought in free agent veterans like cornerback Nolan Carroll, defensive tackle Stephen Paea, defensive end Damontre Moore and safety Robert Blanton. By midseason, every single one of them was off the team. It was a complete disaster.But also, kinda par for the course. The offseason before, Dallas brought in former Philadelphia defensive tackle Cedric Thornton on a four-year, $18 million deal. Thornton was released during final cuts last September.

The Cowboys shopping the clearance aisles for free agents has resulted in some terrible signings. An, at some poin,t Dallas has to learn that building a roster is about balance. Completing ignoring free agents that can help your team simply because of their price tag isn’t always the wisest course of action...

According to NFL.com’s Gregg Rosenthal, here are just some of the top 25 free agents scheduled to hit the open market this offseason.

6. Allen Robinson, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars
8. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Seattle Seahawks
9. Ziggy Ansah, DE, Detroit Lions
10. Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami Dolphins
11. Sammy Watkins, WR, Los Angeles Rams
12. Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S, Los Angeles Rams
13. Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams
15. Andrew Norwell, G, Carolina Panthers
16. Malcolm Butler, CB, New England Patroits
17. Dontari Poe, DT, Atlanta Falcons
19. Justin Pugh, G, New York Giants
20. Nate Solder, T, New England Patroits
22. Star Lotulelei, DT, Carolina Panthers
23. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Washington Commanders
24. Morgan Burnett, S, Green Bay Packers

Highly Unlikely

Kaiser

Reaction score
I could definitely see a WR or DT added in free agency, but I think its much more likely they add to those positions high in the draft.