News: Will the Dallas Cowboys go after a top free agent?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm on the opposite end. Keep Cooper and let someone else pay a "good player" in Hitchens " great player" money.

To me, Stash, the linebacker positional is both critical to have strong depth...and the injury potential changing the make-up of that group too fragile to gamble other wise. There is cap room, but I just wouldn't gamble with for cash flow when the linebackers are in the cross hairs. To me, the linebackers are that important. He would prove his worth right now, in the top of his career potentials...better or worse. Me, I'm gambling...he's a real NFL linebacker and a hustler.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I agree with you, this is a trend with Jerry. He comes out almost every year and talks about not overpaying for top free agents and waiting for the "bargains". I can't say I totally disagree with him either. But IMO, this is not a "top tier" player issue. This is more of a coaching / GM issue than anything else. Until things change at that level, things will not change at all...

I don't think it's a flawed plan in principle, but their execution sucks.

They choose not to retain McClain at DT, fine. But then they pay nearly the same money for Thornton and Paea and end up with a big, fat nothing! Fail!

And they decide not to pay Carr $6 million or Claiborne $5 million, fine. But then they pay Nolan Carroll $4 million for one frickin' game?

Meanwhile, the Eagles get Patrick Robinson - a guy Dallas had looked to sign for two years - for a $1 million deal and the guy has played great for them.

It's not just that they were cheap, you can be cheap and still get some quality talent, it's that they were cheap and dumb. And pinched pennies and ended up with stiffs who couldn't play.

Swanny

Reaction score
Will the Dallas Cowboys go after a top free agent?
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/01/31/dallas-cowboys-go-after-top-free-agent/

If Dallas does add a veteran player, it’s usually someone that’s inexpensive, a career role player or a former high draft pick who never lived up to their billing. It seems like the concept of bringing a quality free agent who can actually become a star on the team is an absolute foreign concept to this current regime.

But just maybe, the Cowboys brass learned a valuable lesson from last season. In 2017, Dallas brought in free agent veterans like cornerback Nolan Carroll, defensive tackle Stephen Paea, defensive end Damontre Moore and safety Robert Blanton. By midseason, every single one of them was off the team. It was a complete disaster.But also, kinda par for the course. The offseason before, Dallas brought in former Philadelphia defensive tackle Cedric Thornton on a four-year, $18 million deal. Thornton was released during final cuts last September.

The Cowboys shopping the clearance aisles for free agents has resulted in some terrible signings. An, at some poin,t Dallas has to learn that building a roster is about balance. Completing ignoring free agents that can help your team simply because of their price tag isn’t always the wisest course of action...

According to NFL.com’s Gregg Rosenthal, here are just some of the top 25 free agents scheduled to hit the open market this offseason.

6. Allen Robinson, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars
8. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Seattle Seahawks
9. Ziggy Ansah, DE, Detroit Lions
10. Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami Dolphins
11. Sammy Watkins, WR, Los Angeles Rams
12. Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S, Los Angeles Rams
13. Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams
15. Andrew Norwell, G, Carolina Panthers
16. Malcolm Butler, CB, New England Patroits
17. Dontari Poe, DT, Atlanta Falcons
19. Justin Pugh, G, New York Giants
20. Nate Solder, T, New England Patroits
22. Star Lotulelei, DT, Carolina Panthers
23. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Washington Commanders
24. Morgan Burnett, S, Green Bay Packers
Allen Robinson would be a pipe dream but man would that make me excited.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me, Stash, the linebacker positional is both critical to have strong depth...and the injury potential changing the make-up of that group too fragile to gamble other wise. There is cap room, but I just wouldn't gamble with for cash flow when the linebackers are in the cross hairs. To me, the linebackers are that important. He would prove his worth right now, in the top of his career potentials...better or worse. Me, I'm gambling...he's a real NFL linebacker and a hustler.

Yeah but aren't you a biased former linebacker?
:laugh:

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Will the Dallas Cowboys go after a top free agent?
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/01/31/dallas-cowboys-go-after-top-free-agent/

If Dallas does add a veteran player, it’s usually someone that’s inexpensive, a career role player or a former high draft pick who never lived up to their billing. It seems like the concept of bringing a quality free agent who can actually become a star on the team is an absolute foreign concept to this current regime.

But just maybe, the Cowboys brass learned a valuable lesson from last season. In 2017, Dallas brought in free agent veterans like cornerback Nolan Carroll, defensive tackle Stephen Paea, defensive end Damontre Moore and safety Robert Blanton. By midseason, every single one of them was off the team. It was a complete disaster.But also, kinda par for the course. The offseason before, Dallas brought in former Philadelphia defensive tackle Cedric Thornton on a four-year, $18 million deal. Thornton was released during final cuts last September.

The Cowboys shopping the clearance aisles for free agents has resulted in some terrible signings. An, at some poin,t Dallas has to learn that building a roster is about balance. Completing ignoring free agents that can help your team simply because of their price tag isn’t always the wisest course of action...

According to NFL.com’s Gregg Rosenthal, here are just some of the top 25 free agents scheduled to hit the open market this offseason.

6. Allen Robinson, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars
8. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Seattle Seahawks
9. Ziggy Ansah, DE, Detroit Lions
10. Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami Dolphins
11. Sammy Watkins, WR, Los Angeles Rams
12. Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S, Los Angeles Rams
13. Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams
15. Andrew Norwell, G, Carolina Panthers
16. Malcolm Butler, CB, New England Patroits
17. Dontari Poe, DT, Atlanta Falcons
19. Justin Pugh, G, New York Giants
20. Nate Solder, T, New England Patroits
22. Star Lotulelei, DT, Carolina Panthers
23. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Washington Commanders
24. Morgan Burnett, S, Green Bay Packers
zck3eju0ncntbmoamagv.gif

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First, I'd like to see the 'Boys grab a very good run stopping 1 tech. There are some FA guys available that will help shore the DL and stop these long running plays up the middle. With a very good 1 tech collapsing the middle of the line, our edge rushers become better and our DB's become better.

Second, I'd love to see a defensive QB safety, much like Woodson. Not sure if this position will be available or affordable in FA, but the addition of a safety with these capabilities will go a very long way to helping this D.

Third, a good swing OT or G.

Chuck A

CCBoy

Reaction score
:) Guilty as charged...
...In 2015, 2016 and 2017 the front office failed in finding a permanent “Brian Urlacher type” MLB to drive this defense. Sean Lee is indeed best at WLB. Rafael Vela and I were musing on this the other night how the entire D performs differently when a dominant guy is in the middle. Rolando McClain was that beast. A freak of nature with incredible wingspan and the ability to change direction on a dime while running sideline to sideline. This holds down the running game and protects the middle passing zone. Just like Urlacher used to do in Chicago. Thow in Sean Lee on the weak side with such a dominant MLB presence and you’ve got an entirely new ball game for the Cowboys defense.

Not the case however as purple-dank took McClain away and the team worked at replacing him with mid-round picks and players with devastating, career-threatening, knee injuries.Bottom line the MLB position has been woefully understaffed while “potential” players have watched from the trainer’s table or limped through a sub-par effort on the field. In the corporate world, they call that a fail...

http://profootballtalkline.com/nfl/...boys-winning-formula-missing-key-pieces.html/

conner01

Reaction score
Depends on what you consider a top free agent
Most listed will never hit the market
We will sign a couple guys, they won’t be huge signing but they could be a name fans recognize
And by the time we sign them they could be the top free agents since any way you rank them it moves someone up every time one is signed

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Just sign a mid-tier 1 tech and quit messing around there! I know they aren't going to sign a Poe, Logan or Star Lotulelei like i wish they would but they need to at least get a good starting 1T that can stuff the run.
Think McClain minus the durability issues.

visionary

Reaction score
Don't believe they're even remotely interested in Thomas. He's almost 30, he won't be capable of producing the production of the contract he'll demand and he's already talked of retiring. He's exactly what they have said you don't sigh in free agency for the last 20 years!

That is said for mediocre players or even good players
Thomas is a difference maker with experience at a critical position still expected to play at a very high level for a few years
If he WANTS TO play (that is the key) then I sign him to a contract he deserves (not crazy money)