Will the Regular Season be meaningful for you?

75boyz

Reaction score
Okay, try this.....

Give me 5 plays from a single game in the regular season, any season, even this season. Now, if you were watching the team in the 90's or before, give me 5 plays from a playoff game of your choice.

Which one is easier for those who watched the Cowboys in the playoffs during the 20th century?

Nobody remembers regular season games with the exception of an extraordinary event most likely on Thanksgiving or December.

Regular seasons are qualifying matches.

It's not how you got there that will be remembered. It's what you did when you got there.

Yes, this is exactly what Michael Irvin told Parsons.

He emphasized how legacies are born in the post season.

Another prime example here is moderator Bob Haze's meme "Respect is earned in the playoffs."

Me personally, I don't believe one and done seasons accomplish anything.
This team only averages making the playoffs about once every 3 years in the last 25 so this further emphasizes just how much a waste of time those type seasons lack in accomplishing anything.

I'd prefer a higher draft pick quite honestly.

jmo

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
While you typically need a good regular season record to enter the tournament, I would like to see an improved post season record.

noletime95

Reaction score
Yes the regular season is still meaningful. We saw the warning signs against the better teams Dallas played after the hot start. We even saw warning signs of the offense falling off in wins against the division, aside from playing Philly backups and Covid WFT.

The regular season told us Dallas would fail against batter teams. And fail they did

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The irony is that winning week 17 vs Philly's scrubs added a win and piled up Dak's stats (and even broke a record) but it probably made us exit the playoffs earlier.
I suspect Dallas would've beaten the spiraling Cardinals, instead of playing one of the hotter teams in the league.
Could've delayed our pain a week
:facepalm:

it was a slow roll to the Train Station!

giphy.gif

lukin2006

Reaction score
Nope. I will not be wasting my weekends on this team until this team starts respecting fans and quits trying to con us..

Shane612

Reaction score
If their regular season record is good enough to take them into the playoff, the regular season means very little.
If their regular season record ISN'T good enough to take them into the playoff, it means this team is terrible.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Where are you guys at when it comes to caring about the regular season moving forward?

For me it’s just ruined. There is nothing we can really learn about this team that would give me any confidence headed into the playoffs.

If you want to get hyped by Dallas beating bad teams and brag about their stats then be my guest but unfortunately for the Cowboys they won’t get to play many bad playoff teams.

I think Jerry has to do something that will get fans at least interested in regular season football again and just a status quo off-season with no real acquisitions but rookies is not going to cut it.

He has to find a way to give fans hope and right now it looks like the plan is to do nothing and just line up and try the same thing.
I havent cared about the regular season for years

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve always said that 16 now 17 meaningful regular season games is the most important thing.

I havent missed a Cowboy game in over 57 years , maybe longer, and nothing worse than the years when we are out of the playoff race early with unmeaningful games to end season.

But losing in the playoffs doesn’t ruin the regular season as I see them as two different entities. But losing can leave a bad taste in your mouth.

75boyz

Reaction score
I’ve always said that 16 now 17 meaningful regular season games is the most important thing.

I havent missed a Cowboy game in over 57 years , maybe longer, and nothing worse than the years when we are out of the playoff race early with unmeaningful games to end season.

But losing in the playoffs doesn’t ruin the regular season as I see them as two different entities. But losing can leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I am the exact opposite.
Not an enjoy the journey, one game at a time, gotta make the playoffs first if you're gonna win anything type of guy.

I guess I was spoiled early by all the Landry success years.

My starting point of expectation was NFC championships so I guess I am tainted by that standard to the point I never recovered.

You could just as well fast forward regular seasons to me.
I am now expected to wait on those so called Cinderella, all the balls bounced the Cowboys way, fluke of a lifetime, all the stars aligned, law of averages and luck filled one year wonders type seasons that never happen with this team..

That's the new standard.

Unfortunately I guess I didn't adapt to change as well as other fans, but that's just me, lol

jmo

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am the exact opposite.
Not an enjoy the journey, one game at a time, gotta make the playoffs first if you're gonna win anything type of guy.

I guess I was spoiled early by all the Landry success years.

My starting point of expectation was NFC championships so I guess I am tainted by that standard to the point I never recovered.

You could just as well fast forward regular seasons to me.
I am now expected to wait on those so called Cinderella, all the balls bounced the Cowboys way, fluke of a lifetime, all the stars aligned, law of averages and luck filled one year wonders type seasons that never happen with this team..

That's the new standard.

Unfortunately I guess I didn't adapt to change as well as other fans, but that's just me, lol

jmo
Being in it for only the culmination or result to me means you don’t really enjoy the spirit of the competition or sport itself.

Theres also fans who don’t watch other games . That to me means they don’t really enjoy watching football . They are only interested in their team winning. Not really sure if they are football fans ?

I enjoy watching college and high school games too. Shoot I get a kick out of watching the neighborhood kids throwing the ball around or a pickup game.

75boyz

Reaction score
Being in it for only the culmination or result to me means you don’t really enjoy the spirit of the competition or sport itself.

Theres also fans who don’t watch other games . That to me means they don’t really enjoy watching football . They are only interested in their team winning. Not really sure if they are football fans ?

I enjoy watching college and high school games too. Shoot I get a kick out of watching the neighborhood kids throwing the ball around or a pickup game.

Nah, just different personal standards of success laid down by "truly" successful people that rubbed off on me.

Being Im in my 50s and a Bama kid the same type standards hold true. You had Bear Bryant establish a certain winning culture for the 60s-80s and now Saban that same standard to even higher heights.

Jimmy did a short tenured version of returning the Cowboys to their Landry level of standards.

Could the word entitled possibly be used, , probably so. Guilty as charged I guess but at the heart of it is wanting to see the Cowboys have the best assemblage of ALL the factors that go into a winning culture or standard. With that said my general viewing of this team could be characterized by a little negativity.

Comparatively speaking, I kinda bet UConn girls basketball fans have a certain level of expectation that's somewhat different from your average girls basketball fan.

Or maybe a Patriot fan expectation level after all the success of the Brady era.

And yeah I enjoy the games, but just more from an entertainment perspective nowadays.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Where are you guys at when it comes to caring about the regular season moving forward?

For me it’s just ruined. There is nothing we can really learn about this team that would give me any confidence headed into the playoffs.

If you want to get hyped by Dallas beating bad teams and brag about their stats then be my guest but unfortunately for the Cowboys they won’t get to play many bad playoff teams.

I think Jerry has to do something that will get fans at least interested in regular season football again and just a status quo off-season with no real acquisitions but rookies is not going to cut it.

He has to find a way to give fans hope and right now it looks like the plan is to do nothing and just line up and try the same thing.
Im surprised its taken you guys this long.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
My take -

Home: Eagles, Giants, Washington, Bears, Lions, Bucs, Colts, Texans, Bengals

Away: Eagles, Giants, Washington, Packers, Vikings, Rams, Jaguars, Titans

How well we play against the teams bolded (give or take because things change of course) matters a ton to me.If these teams are good again next year and we perform against them it means something. If we lose to them and beat up the Bears, Lions and NFCE I won't fall for it.

We'd be no better than the Jaguars if we lose in the 1st round of the playoffs again. At least the Jags will get a higher draft pick:facepalm: So even going into the playoffs 17-0 then losing in the first round? really??? You can't beat the Dogs? Better run with the cats. As in scary cat.

JayFord

Reaction score
Its just entertainment

i just give them 3 hours a week and thats enough