Will we have a let down, or is this team different?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the present make up of the starting roster, I don't think so. They have some plyers that want to hold onto their starting jobs and playing time when others return. Think Steele doesn't know all eyes are on him, Osa and Cedric? Think those players not there because of injury, protocol or suspension aren't watching closely? No player wants to see his team doing well without him.

They look at film in meetings and see how many pass plays they're giving up and that turnover margin is a lot of the reason they're 2-1, they know they haven't arrived yet. Nothing to be complacent about, no teams to overlook and they're just starting to get a little respect.

This team could be a coach's dream. Doing enough right to have a winning season and enough wrong to get coached.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
This team feels different from past Cowboys teams.

They had the Super Bowl champs almost beat on the road. Then they beat what looks like a very good Chargers team on the road. And at home they did what great teams should do to not-so-great teams by routing the Eagles.

Yes, it's still early, but the overall "feel" of this team is the direct opposite of 2020; when everything seemed off and even the wins felt empty.

CWR

Reaction score
In years past, this team couldn't handle success and often faltered when they got to full of themselves and started to believe the hype.
This weeks game against Carolina would be one of those type games where the team would lay an egg and lose to an inferior opponent.
It's a small sample size but this team seems to have a different mentality and won't allow themselves to play down a level.
We have plenty of "DOGS" on this roster who's killer mentality permeates throughout the team and raises the level of play and desire of others.

I forget the rosters numbers, but I think we've turned over something like 22 players. For all intents and purposes this is a different team. I believe they showed us that vs the Chargers and the Eagles. Had it not been for the fact Tom Brady is a transcendent talent at QB, we may have got a win week 1 as well.

It's easy to have that pit in your stomach though, history has taught us its reasonable. Fortunately, as you said this team has some real Dawgs and I don't believe they will let up.

It's a great test, but I think we walk away with another convincing win.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Probably a bit of a let down, a little nibbling of the cheese, but still a tight win. I think some will underestimate Carolina based on their schedule, but I bet they give us a test, especially their defense.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
In years past, this team couldn't handle success and often faltered when they got to full of themselves and started to believe the hype.
This weeks game against Carolina would be one of those type games where the team would lay an egg and lose to an inferior opponent.
It's a small sample size but this team seems to have a different mentality and won't allow themselves to play down a level.
We have plenty of "DOGS" on this roster who's killer mentality permeates throughout the team and raises the level of play and desire of others.

Is it a "let down," if the team loses? Teams dont go undefeated. This is the NFL and on any given day a team can beat you. The Panthers are 3-0. Now they havent played great teams, but you dont win 3 in a row if you suck.
You are putting the reasons on losses into what you wanted it to be... the team got too full of themselves is just made up crap. You think an NFL coach doesnt prepare hard for each game? Listen to these guys speak... for the most part, these guys are pretty darn smart. They know and understand there are no freebies in the NFL. Sometimes you just get beat.

Big_D

Reaction score
This is very different. Finally a team you can get excited about.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coming in late here and haven't looked at the odds, but I bet the Cowboys are the underdogs this week. People seem to love the Panthers right now.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Hard to judge 2 years removed from Garrett because last year was basically a mulligan for McCarthy. If he has them ready to play Sunday I would say we’ve finally turned over a new leaf in regards to the Garrett let down games after a blowout

Praxit

Reaction score
This team is definitely different.

Does anyone see Micah Parsons slacking off?

How about Trevon Diggs?

How about Dak, Zeke or Pollard?

How about Schultz, CeeDee or Amari?

How about Gregory, Odighizuwa and our Dline?

How about our Oline?

How about our free agent D-secondary or our LBS?

No way! No way!!

This team has a dog in them. They are built to smell blood and attack. They love it. They look for it. They create a feast like a group of hungry predators. No way do they have the Garrett traits of old of slacking off. Those Cabo ways are over!
..MM carries a different culture aptitude. JG was structured business like. MM is a football guy. The farmer who actually had to plow his fields to earn his bread.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
This team feels different because this team is different. A ton of new starters on this defense, Mike's real full year, Dan Quinn, Dak's back, the offensive line is mainly in tact... And so after an injury riddled season last year, we sort of get a look at the real Mike McCarthy team. We still have a ton of injuries and missing personnel, but in the most important parts of the team, we're reasonably healthy. OLine, QB, D line.

Our new defensive acquisitions are paying HUGE dividends. I always said, this team goes as it's QB goes and it's offensive line goes, and it's defense goes. Finally and hopefully, the defense has shown up.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The letdown is coming... but not in the regular season, it will come in the playoffs. I expect to lose a few games in the regular season but those losses won't be enough to spoil our season. Our divisional opponents are too weak to prevent us from winning the NFCE championship. We have bigger aspirations.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Every year is a different team.

Big_D

Reaction score
Hard to judge 2 years removed from Garrett because last year was basically a mulligan for McCarthy. If he has them ready to play Sunday I would say we’ve finally turned over a new leaf in regards to the Garrett let down games after a blowout

the makeup of this team is night and day. Young talent developing and a D that has definitely turned a corner. And it’s only been 19 games since the Garrett debacle. The major difference is how this team is being built. There’s talent and competition plus a complete change of attitude and approach!

AyeAtey

Reaction score
No let down. This team is just getting started and Dak the driver is on a mission and players really want to play. Sorry to say, not just yet.

So far, totally different team. Haven't seen this much team energy in quite awhile.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This is very different. Finally a team you can get excited about.
so this team is easier to get excited about than in 2014 when we were 12-4? or in 2016 when we were 13-3?
2014 we walked into Seattle and beat them in their house with their vaunted 12th man.

2016 we went into Pitt and smacked them in the face in their house.... i was pretty excited about those teams.