Will you now trust "the process"?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Forgot to add Marty b to the patriots list. It's edited now
:dance::dance::dance:

The patriot way is to try to make moves to better your team while having the best QB and coach in the NFL. They also like to bend rules hehehehe

robjay04

Reaction score
Patriots have traded for and signed many high dollar free agents. Some have worked, some haven't, and done were controversial players.

• Albert Haynesworth
  • Randy Moss
  • Corey Dillon
  • Brian Cox
  • Alge Crumpler
  • Roman Phifer
  • Darelle Revis
  • Junior Seau
  • Brian Waters
  • Rodney Harrison
  • Mike Vrabel
  • Woodhead, Edelmen, and Amedoela :muttley:
  • Chad Brown
  • Joey Galloway
  • Shawn Springs
  • Deltha o Neil
  • Fred Taylor
  • Christian Fauria
  • Marty B

They've taken their shots at free agents
:starspin::starspin::starspin:
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Without doing any homework, I assume a lot of those were value deals. Getting a veteran with something left in the tank at a discount or renting a player for a year isn't comparable to the huge contracts given out on the first day of free agency. Very rarely do you see the Patriots handing out huge guaranteed money for anyone.

We have still signed some guys ourselves the past few seasons but what we haven't done is hand out long contracts with large guarantees that we regret a year later.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Without doing any homework, I assume a lot of those were value deals. Getting a veteran with something left in the tank at a discount or renting a player for a year isn't comparable to the huge contracts given out on the first day of free agency. Very rarely do you see the Patriots handing out huge guaranteed money for anyone.

We have still signed some guys ourselves the past few seasons but what we haven't done is hand out long contracts with large guarantees that we regret a year later.
There's some long contracts in there, some short ones too. Some big money contracts with decent guaranteed monies, and some great value ones. The thing with long contracts- most NFL contracts are really just 1-3 year contracts with a bunch of back loaded money to make them look and sound good. The patriots tend to cut guys before their production to contract value starts looking bad.

I don't mind signing a big contract guy with guaranteed money if h can produce, and I don't mind signing a good value free agent as well. But teams build through the draft and sprinkle some good free agents in as well.

Proof

Reaction score
Getting "cute" drafting the BPA and possible MVP hum, that's certainly not "selective interpretation".

I'm referring to letting Murray leave and whiffing in the 2015 "deep rb" draft and having to resort to signing McFadden. Those things along with not adequately addressing back up qb cost us a season and resulted in being in position to take Zeke.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Nice post, they did sign DE Hardy last year with mixed results.
I would like to see them resign Leary and trade Guard Collins for a good young established Pass rushing DE.

I'd rather keep both, and give Collins one more shot at RT. He has the potential to be elite at guard, but at the same time, Leary is earning that playing time. Potential is just what you haven't accomplished yet. If football is a meritocracy like Romo says, than Leary earned that spot at guard by his performance by looking better than Collins did. However, that was early in the year, and perhaps Collins would have gelled with the line just like Leary did. I just want to keep both of those players, and have our starting line for the next 4-5 years and continue this run.

haleyrules

Reaction score
There's some long contracts in there, some short ones too. Some big money contracts with decent guaranteed monies, and some great value ones. The thing with long contracts- most NFL contracts are really just 1-3 year contracts with a bunch of back loaded money to make them look and sound good. The patriots tend to cut guys before their production to contract value starts looking bad.

I don't mind signing a big contract guy with guaranteed money if h can produce, and I don't mind signing a good value free agent as well. But teams build through the draft and sprinkle some good free agents in as well.
Amen. That is how its done.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Forgot to add Marty b to the patriots list. It's edited now

The patriot way is to try to make moves to better your team while having the best QB and coach in the NFL. They also like to bend rules hehehehe
The Patriots snd Belichick make the most of what they have to work with. Great organisation. Sign and release as required. Real pros. The Cowboys could take some notes. Its obvious that Belichick has no emotional attachments to players and that is the best policy!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
"The Process" is what every coach preaches. Stacking good days on other good days on top of another is not a unique Garrett quality.

We just happened to draft a stud in Elliott and get a gem in Prescott.

One quality Garrett does have that helps the team is his patience. Not a lot of coaches have the job security that allows them that latitude.

robjay04

Reaction score
I'd rather keep both, and give Collins one more shot at RT. He has the potential to be elite at guard, but at the same time, Leary is earning that playing time. Potential is just what you haven't accomplished yet. If football is a meritocracy like Romo says, than Leary earned that spot at guard by his performance by looking better than Collins did. However, that was early in the year, and perhaps Collins would have gelled with the line just like Leary did. I just want to keep both of those players, and have our starting line for the next 4-5 years and continue this run.

It just comes down to price with Leary unfortunately. I want him back but with Martin due, we can only allocate so much to one position. I can't see having 4 top paid players at one position.

Qbert

Reaction score
I'm all for this style of team building, but you have to draft well for it to work, and until this year our drafts have been sub par for that kind of grow your own talent and pick up a free agent here and there

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
FA is overpaying by design......you still have to get some bang for your buck

If you spend 10m you want to get at least 7-8m in value
Spending 10m and getting 3-5m like Carr produced hurt but it wasn't a killer
It was the same as trading a 1st and 2nd and getting Claiborne......it hurt more because of the 2nd

Extending or own guys can be just as scary....RW11 and RW31, Austin, Ratliff2, MBIII, Spencer, Hamlin were pretty bad returns

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I trust Garrett if he has a juggernaut offense that can impose its will and not rely on its 1970s pass designs.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I'm referring to letting Murray leave and whiffing in the 2015 "deep rb" draft and having to resort to signing McFadden. Those things along with not adequately addressing back up qb cost us a season and resulted in being in position to take Zeke.
Letting Murray go was obviously there correct move. The had no legs. And over priced himself.
Tell me please who was available to them in the 2015
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501986/article/ranking-backup-qbs-from-no-1-to-32

Proof

Reaction score
Letting Murray go was obviously there correct move. The had no legs. And over priced himself.
Tell me please who was available to them in the 2015
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501986/article/ranking-backup-qbs-from-no-1-to-32

Had no legs? You mean incorrectly used and behind a porous line? Have you seen him this year?

He wasn't overpriced until they allowed someone else to swoop in. They low balled him and played games thinking they could draft his cheap replacement or steal AP.

Whether they should have let him walk is besides the point, they let him walk, got caught with their pants down in the draft, and were put in a position to go dumpster diving. That's not a process it's a blunder

You're proving my point for me asking who was available in 2015... a more concerted effort should have been made prior to that. Not try to pluck the best trash off the heap once disaster strikes. "the process" should have been well ahead of that.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Had no legs? You mean incorrectly used and behind a porous line? Have you seen him this year?

He wasn't overpriced until they allowed someone else to swoop in. They low balled him and played games thinking they could draft his cheap replacement or steal AP.

You're proving my point for me asking who was available in 2015... a more concerted effort should have been made prior to that. Not try to pluck the best trash off the heap once disaster strikes. "the process" should have been well ahead of that.
he got his legs back this year he didn't have last year.this been discussed here and other places.
ya we wear him out,so be it. Our guy today is a hell of an upgrade.
Who were the other QB's available? please name them

Proof

Reaction score
he got his legs back this year he didn't have last year.this been discussed here and other places.
ya we wear him out,so be it. Our guy today is a hell of an upgrade.
Who were the other QB's available? please name them

Considering Murray had 1800 yards ill withhold judgement on the hell of an upgrade. That's really out of scope though because it has nothing to do with what I said. Actually the point was that we only were gifted this team / season as a byproduct of a botched season.

As far as naming the qbs, I'm not going to play that game, nor is it necessary. It's their job to pursue who they can, or draft accordingly.

Zman5

Reaction score
If this "Process" was any good, we would have been better prepared last season. There is no excuse for the kind of season we had last year.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Considering Murray had 1800 yards ill withhold judgement on the hell of an upgrade. That's really out of scope though because it has nothing to do with what I said. Actually the point was that we only were gifted this team / season as a byproduct of a botched season.

As far as naming the qbs, I'm not going to play that game, nor is it necessary. It's their job to pursue who they can, or draft accordingly.
OK please withhold judgement on the upgrade at RB.Really?
Well as your said It's their job to pursue who they can. They did just that.The availability of starting QB's isn't very good.
The availability of back up QB's therefore isn't going to provide much.

Edit; here are Murray's stats for his good season with us please note that the 1845 yards so made by having 392 carries

DAL 16 16 392 1,845 4.7 51 13 57 416 7.3 34 0 5 5

Last edited: