Will you now trust "the process"?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doesn't someone say this every successful year then the Cowboys proceed to lay an egg the next season.

Someone please check back mid next season would you?

Proof

Reaction score
Gotcha. Weeden was the best we could do and McGee the only one we could draft. You got it my man.

Murray was the offensive player of the year, and third in the league rushing this year. He was an excellent receiver (nearly twice as many catches) and a great blocker. I love Zeke and am glad we have him but "hell of an upgrade" is a big stretch currently. Also they cost a similar amount but no premium pick associated with keeping Murray.

Proof

Reaction score
Doesn't someone say this every successful year then the Cowboys proceed to lay an egg the next season.

Someone please check back mid next season would you?

Exactly. Just some sustained success. Weve got two winning seasons during the Garrett era and none back to back

windjc

Reaction score
Garrett has been great. He has built a culture that wins. He has found people good at what he isnt good at and he manages Jerry better than any coach in history.

I love his process. He'll win coach of the year this year and will deserve it. I don't care if immature posters on any forum say otherwise. Truth is truth.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Gotcha. Weeden was the best we could do and McGee the only one we could draft. You got it my man.

Murray was the offensive player of the year, and third in the league rushing this year. He was an excellent receiver (nearly twice as many catches) and a great blocker. I love Zeke and am glad we have him but "hell of an upgrade" is a big stretch currently. Also they cost a similar amount but no premium pick associated with keeping Murray.

I think you're also forgetting what the Eagles gave him. His contract was 42 mill when he left Dallas.

He's also turning 29 in February, I'll be surprised if he can remain a top 5 back for 3 more years. Being in Tennessee will help with that OL, but he should fall off. It's statistically pretty typical.

Zeke is 7 years younger, faster, a more skilled RB, and probably already one of the best blocking RB's in the league.

When Murray starts floating around the league on short contracts, Zeke will still be rushing for 1500 yards. Definitely a "hell of an upgrade", imo.

Proof

Reaction score
Garrett has been great. He has built a culture that wins. He has found people good at what he isnt good at and he manages Jerry better than any coach in history.

I love his process. He'll win coach of the year this year and will deserve it. I don't care if immature posters on any forum say otherwise. Truth is truth.

Having a difference of opinion is immature?

Jerry loves Garrett and has given him a longer leash than any coach not named Jeff fisher. He's failed and underperformed consistently but kept his job and had responsibilities stripped. Maybe he's responsible for the turn around. Maybe it's in spite of him. Maybe it's both. That's my biggest reservation with heaping praise on him. Call it what you will

waving monkey

Reaction score
I think you're also forgetting what the Eagles gave him. His contract was 42 mill when he left Dallas.

He's also turning 29 in February, I'll be surprised if he can remain a top 5 back for 3 more years. Being in Tennessee will help with that OL, but he should fall off. It's statistically pretty typical.

Zeke is 7 years younger, faster, a more skilled RB, and probably already one of the best blocking RB's in the league.

When Murray starts floating around the league on short contracts, Zeke will still be rushing for 1500 yards. Definitely a "hell of an upgrade", imo.
thank you and it's not even close

Proof

Reaction score

No I'm not forgetting, the eagles didn't even come into play until Dallas lownalled him and left him hanging. You're talking about the future I'm talking about currently and at the time. YOURE forgetting that we had to also utilize the 4th pick for Zeke when we could have still had demarco and a first rounder elsewhere.

thank you and it's not even close

Clearly it's close considering the production both here and elsewhere. You're talking about years in the future when I'm talking about now and when we had demarco. Whether Murray falls off in the next few years is irrelevant.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

A 4 year $25 million contract is about what Dallas did offer him after the 2014 season (which he signed with the Titans after the 2015 season - notice not the same off-season). And most of the fans and the Cowboys would have been completely fine with that signing. However, he signed a 5 year $42 million dollar contract with the Eagles instead. We didn't low ball him - we offered him more than any team his was interested in playing for until Chip Kelly decided to further ruin the Eagles by offering him an insane amount no other team was even considering. But don't let that fact get in your way.

To recap: Dallas offered him a similar contract before the 2015 season that he signed with the Titans before the 2016 season - about $6.25 million per year.

Note - we did try to trade for him last off-season before the draft (at the 4/25 rate or close I would presume).

Last edited:

waving monkey

Reaction score

Jerry loves Garrett and has given him a longer leash than any coach not named Jeff fisher. He's failed and underperformed consistently but kept his job and had responsibilities stripped. Maybe he's responsible for the turn around. Maybe it's in spite of him. Maybe it's both. That's my biggest reservation with heaping praise on him. Call it what you will

Garrett didn't fail. Through mutual agreement the Cowboy front office agreed to begin a total rebuild starting with the offensive line.
Garrett got his OJT which is what pisses you and your tribe off but here we are today having paid the price and we are entering
the glory years but there are a type of personality that can't enjoy it. It takes all types.

windjc

Reaction score

The grass is always greener on the other side. Coaches need time. Jerry made the rIght call. You'll just have to keep dealing with that.

robjay04

Reaction score

I liked Murray and wanted him back but HELL OF AN UPGRADE is right. Right now, Zeke is bringing everything Murrray brought to the table in 2014 but he is a homerun threat.

If he improves at the pace Murray did between year 1 and year 4, we will be in for a treat.

I don't get why people are bringing up 2015. Yes it was an awful season but we lost a lot of close games playing short handed. As miserable as I was last year at this time, this year makes it worth it. Offensively, we are realistically set to compete for a championship for the next 5 seasons or more. Murray/Romo couldn't have done that for us.

waving monkey

Reaction score
No I'm not forgetting, the eagles didn't even come into play until Dallas lownalled him and left him hanging. You're talking about the future I'm talking about currently and at the time. YOURE forgetting that we had to also utilize the 4th pick for Zeke when we could have still had demarco and a first rounder elsewhere.
Murray didn't want to play in our financial structure and he got to move on, we upgraded
The patriots do the same thing but hey,their only the best managed team in the NFL

gmoney112

Reaction score

Clearly it's close considering the production both here and elsewhere. You're talking about years in the future when I'm talking about now and when we had demarco. Whether Murray falls off in the next few years is irrelevant.

He was offered a great contract, the Eagles overpaid.

And what kind of reasoning is that? We're trying to build a team, and you say the future doesn't matter. Solid logic.

Proof

Reaction score
A 4 year $25 million contract is about what Dallas did offer him after the 2014 season (which he signed with the Titans after the 2015 season - notice not the same off-season). And I would have been completely fine with that. However, he signed a 5 year $42 million dollar contract with the Eagles instead. I am glad we didn't sign him for that amount. So to say the cost a similar amount is not exactly accurate. But don't let that fact get in your way.

They finally upped it to 4 and 25 (from 4 for 16 and 4 for 20). It was too late that's the figure I'm using for the comparable salaries not the Eagles obviously. You can save the snark. And you're ignoring the premium pick on top of it. Had they handled the situation different from the beginning we likely don't get to that point and the Eagkes certainly don't poach him. Regardless I'm not really here to argue the merits of Murray vs Elliot, More so the bungling of the situation and the supposed contingency

Proof

Reaction score
The grass is always greener on the other side. Coaches need time. Jerry made the rIght call. You'll just have to keep dealing with that.

Dealing with it? I could care less I'm offering an opinion on a message board. The team is winning and I'm ecstatic and it doesn't matter to me who is responsible. If a question is posed though I will give my thoughts and yours are no more valid

Proof

Reaction score
He was offered a great contract, the Eagles overpaid.

And what kind of reasoning is that? We're trying to build a team, and you say the future doesn't matter. Solid logic.

I didn't say the future doesn't matter and certainly don't believe it. I said it's irrelevant in the context. Had we kept Murray we'd be weighing an additional 2 years currently as far as his value. Of course a phenom NOW in his rookie year has a brighter outlook.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They finally upped it to 4 and 25 (from 4 for 16 and 4 for 20). It was too late that's the figure I'm using for the comparable salaries not the Eagles obviously. You can save the snark. And you're ignoring the premium pick on top of it. Had they handled the situation different from the beginning we likely don't get to that point and the Eagkes certainly don't poach him. Regardless I'm not really here to argue the merits of Murray vs Elliot, More so the bungling of the situation and the supposed contingency

If we signed him for the contact he got from the Eagles and he had the season he did last season, we would all be posting about what a horrible signing it was. Period. End of story. You have no idea how he would have played last year. So to say we bungled it could be completely wrong, it is all conjecture at that point.

He could have signed that 4/25 and stayed in Dallas he knew how Garret, Tony and others felt about him. He had over a week to look at that contract. Instead HE went to Chip and practically begged the Eagles to sign him (from reports). Instead he went with the money, that was his decision. I get where you are coming from but from where many look at it, the team is much better off with the situation as it is now regardless of the use of a "premium" pick.

Proof

Reaction score
Garrett didn't fail. Through mutual agreement the Cowboy front office agreed to begin a total rebuild starting with the offensive line.
Garrett got his OJT which is what pisses you and your tribe off but here we are today having paid the price and we are entering
the glory years but there are a type of personality that can't enjoy it. It takes all types.

You're making quite a bit of assumptions about me and about the inner workings of the front office. Believe me I'm enjoying the hell out of the season, I'm not a bitter or negative fan in any capacity. I don't necessarily buy in completely that Garrett is responsible for all of this. And that's ok. I haven't even said anything negative about him. You're starting to strike me as someone who can't formulate an argument. That's ok too. I want all fans to enjoy being a fan.