Will Zeke ever eclipse 1000 yards again?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Actually he did miss the Washington game after the foot injury.
Ahh right. I flip flopped NYG in my head.

That aside, that injury can be tricky long term. I wouldn't give him a second contract but I see that coming.

Wouldn't give any RB a second deal ever again but Jerry has triplets on the brain, so.....

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Its hard to rush for 60 yards a game when you have backup offensive linemen being pushed back into Zeke on running plays as soon as Dak hand the ball off to him. I'm not blaming the offensive linemen solely because i do believe Zeke has lost a step, but if he has decent blocking, i believe he's still a 1000 yard back.

I will always come back to those first 5 weeks before he got hurt when he was second in the NFL in rushing and averaging like 5.5 yards per carry.. and the line wasn't necessarily playing all that well .. He and Pollard were simply making lemonade out of lemons before the injuries set in. All those plays where we leave the backside DE and the play side ILB unblocked the backs were able to wriggle through for positive yards anyway but over time their bodies betrayed them. It hurts to repeatedly get hit by 300 pound men and it takes a toll. Fix that and both back will shine..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I would say it depends more on the health of his offensive line

Oh that's a factor, no doubt. But one thing I read somewhere about Zeke is that with the torn PCL, if he's hit by a defender he can't maintain his balance, and just falls down. Don't know if that's true, far as I know I've never had a partially torn PCL. But also not sure that even if he had holes to run through with the injury he could have gotten a lot of yards.

His health and the o-line's health are probably about - 50/50 as far as his being effective.

One more thing to consider is that Pollard had never been the bell cow back, a lot of people said Zeke got the carries he did because Jerry wanted to get his money's worth out of Zeke, or that Jerry didn't want people to think he made a mistake drafting/extending Zeke, which to me is unlikely, Pollard just may not have been thought to be able to handle a ton of carries all season long.

We'll never know the truth probably, could be either situation...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
By whose standard did "We run plenty of running plays?" We ran more plays than our opponent on average because we won 12 games.. which means we were ahead in a lot of games and handed off to Pollard and the other backups late in garbage time. Especially in those games where we blew teams out. Even at that we threw it 643 to 479. Because we also PASSED it more than our opponent on average.

But the telling numbers are what happened after the New England game.. Here are the pass/run breakdowns by game.

Minnesota 41 pass 24 run, 3 sacks so 44-24.
Denver 39 pass 16 run, 2 sacks. 41-16
Atlanta 37 pass 39 run (40 point blowout, nuff said)
KC 43 pass 16 run, 5 sacks = 48-16
Vegas 47 pass 20 run, 1 sack = 48-20
NO 40 pass, 24 run, 1 sack = 41-24
WASH 39 pass 34 run 2 sacks (24-0 game at half)
NYG 37 pass 30 run, 3 sacks 40-30
WASH 42 pass, 24 run, 3 sacks 45-24 (42 point blowout and still 2-1 pass run ratio)
AZ 39 pass 17 run, 1 sack 40-17 ..
PHI 28 pass, 32 run 1 sack 29-32 blowout win.

So in the last 10 games they ran more than they passed only twice and in fact the insistence on continuing to pass late in the first Washington game allowed them back in it with the turnovers by Dak. Several games exceeded 2-1 pass run ratio which should never happen unless you're behind big.. which only happened once.
Show me late game rushing statistics with a lead which illustrates Pollard and Clement got all the carries in the mystical and fairytale "garbage time."
I mean, you said yourself we won 12 games so there should be substantial evidence.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Barely got there last season. Missed the year before. Looks pretty shot at 26 to me. Big Mac and Moore prefer to sling it. I say he is done as a 1000 rusher in Dallas. Thoughts?
He did eclipse 1K last year. His suspension year and the "no Dak" year where the only times he did not go +1K.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He did eclipse 1K last year. His suspension year and the "no Dak" year where the only times he did not go +1K.
1,000 yards would be impressive if the season was 10 games and not 17.
60 yards a game is bush league.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Show me late game rushing statistics with a lead which illustrates Pollard and Clement got all the carries in the mystical and fairytale "garbage time."
I mean, you said yourself we won 12 games so there should be substantial evidence.

Fine...

Sample #1 Philly at Dallas.. Cowboys entered the 4th quarter up 27-14 and scored early in the quarter to go up 34-14

4 quarter carries

Elliott - 1 (final carry with 13:51 left)
Pollard - 1
Clement - 4

Sample #2 Giants and Dallas .. end of 3rd quarter Cowboys 30 - Giants 13

4th quarter carries.

Elliott - 4 (final carry with 7:40 left)
Pollard - 7

Sample #3 ATL at Dallas end of 3rd quarter Cowboys 36 - Falcons 3

4th quarter carries

Elliott - 0 (final carry with @ 1:23 left of 3rd quarter )
Pollard - 1 ( negated by penalty so technically none)
Clement - 6

Sample #4 Cowboys @ Giants end of 3rd quarter score Cowboys 21 - Giants 6

4th quarter carries

Elliott - 1 ( @ 14:16 left)
Pollard - 5

Sample #5 Cowboys hosting WFT end of 3rd quarter score 49-7 Cowboys

4th quarter carries

Elliott - 0 ( final carry with 8:55 left in the 3rd)
Pollard - 1
Clement - 4

So that's 5 blowout games where the Cowboys entered the 4th quarter ahead by at least two scores.. In those 5 games Elliott totaled 5 4th quarter carries. FIVE! Pollard had 14 and Clement also had 14.

Put in perspective that means over 10% of Pollard's 130 carries came in garbage time. While for Zeke it was 5 of 237. Zeke essentially had 4 games in which he was sippin Gatorade (and icing his knee) the entire 4th quarter.

You do the math. It's not hard to imagine that had the Cowboys let Zeke take even half of those garbage time carries against defenses that were in give up mode his numbers on the year would have looked a lot better. But nobody should care about any of that. I only care that he is able to play at a high level all season. If that means letting Pollard and Clement eat in the 4th quarter when the game has been salted away I'm fine with that. It will bring out the soft heads who will look at his final numbers and cry "he sucked" but as long as we win I don't really care.. I suspect neither does he.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Fine...

Sample #1 Philly at Dallas.. Cowboys entered the 4th quarter up 27-14 and scored early in the quarter to go up 34-14

4 quarter carries

Pollard - 1
Clement - 4

4th quarter carries.

Pollard - 7

4th quarter carries

Clement - 6

4th quarter carries

Pollard - 5

4th quarter carries

Pollard - 1
Clement - 4

So that's 5 blowout games where the Cowboys entered the 4th quarter ahead by at least two scores.. In those 5 games Elliott totaled 5 4th quarter carries. FIVE! Pollard had 14 and Clement also had 14.

Put in perspective that means over 10% of Pollard's 130 carries came in garbage time. While for Zeke it was 5 of 237. Zeke essentially had 4 games in which he was sippin Gatorade (and icing his knee) the entire 4th quarter.

You do the math. It's not hard to imagine that had the Cowboys let Zeke take even half of those garbage time carries against defenses that were in give up mode his numbers on the year would have looked a lot better. But nobody should care about any of that. I only care that he is able to play at a high level all season. If that means letting Pollard and Clement eat in the 4th quarter when the game has been salted away I'm fine with that. It will bring out the soft heads who will look at his final numbers and cry "he sucked" but as long as we win I don't really care.. I suspect neither does he.
So you're banking on Elliott didn't get touches in garbage time. Why is that? Because he had one leg. They should have sat him and healed. Maybe some fans were right, it's all about his salary.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So you're banking on Elliott didn't get touches in garbage time. Why is that? Because he had one leg. They should have sat him and healed. Maybe some fans were right, it's all about his salary.

How exactly am I "banking" on anything? It's an irrefutable fact that earlier in his career those carries would have almost ALL gone to him and he would have run up some impressive numbers with them. It's also irrefutable fact that he got to 1000 yards last season on one left for the last 11 games and with the line in shambles AND while not really seeing the ball a lot in the blowout wins OR losses. Cause you know, we didn't run the ball a whole lot when we were behind either. So even if he was in the game in the 4th quarter of those games.. he wasn't getting the ball if the Cowboys were trailing. In fact he had a total of TWO carries in the final 4 minutes of games when trailing. For what it's worth Pollard had a whole ONE.. In all Zeke had 73 of his 237 (29.5%) carries while trailing. Pollard had 40 of his 130. (30.7%) .. So basically when training this team wasn't handing the ball off to anybody. For a little perspective on that Derrick Henry had 94 of his 219 carries while trailing. A hefty 42.9% .. Some teams are just more committed to the run than others.

But to your final point.. I don't believe for one second Zeke was allowed to play on one leg because of HIS salary. He was allowed to do so because of Dak's salary. Tony Pollard out there while the line was struggling as much as it did put the 40 million dollar a year QB at greater risk. Of COURSE they should have sat Zeke.. but fear got the better of them. They watch the tape of Pollard letting guys come at Dak with a full head of steam and panicked. IMHO that decision was short sighted. Sitting Zeke until he was 100% would have been better for this team come playoff time even if they lost another game or two with him out. But that hay's out of the barn. Nothing we can do about it now.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
How exactly am I "banking" on anything? It's an irrefutable fact that earlier in his career those carries would have almost ALL gone to him and he would have run up some impressive numbers with them. It's also irrefutable fact that he got to 1000 yards last season on one left for the last 11 games and with the line in shambles AND while not really seeing the ball a lot in the blowout wins OR losses. Cause you know, we didn't run the ball a whole lot when we were behind either. So even if he was in the game in the 4th quarter of those games.. he wasn't getting the ball if the Cowboys were trailing. In fact he had a total of TWO carries in the final 4 minutes of games when trailing. For what it's worth Pollard had a whole ONE.. In all Zeke had 73 of his 237 (29.5%) carries while trailing. Pollard had 40 of his 130. (30.7%) .. So basically when training this team wasn't handing the ball off to anybody. For a little perspective on that Derrick Henry had 94 of his 219 carries while trailing. A hefty 42.9% .. Some teams are just more committed to the run than others.

But to your final point.. I don't believe for one second Zeke was allowed to play on one leg because of HIS salary. He was allowed to do so because of Dak's salary. Tony Pollard out there while the line was struggling as much as it did put the 40 million dollar a year QB at greater risk. Of COURSE they should have sat Zeke.. but fear got the better of them. They watch the tape of Pollard letting guys come at Dak with a full head of steam and panicked. IMHO that decision was short sighted. Sitting Zeke until he was 100% would have been better for this team come playoff time even if they lost another game or two with him out. But that hay's out of the barn. Nothing we can do about it now.
Lol. 1,000 yards. :facepalm:
That's like 60 yards a game.
So they kept Elliott in just because he's a solid pass blocker? Even though he's injured.....
Ok, I would have just put in an extra lineman if things were that bad.
And it's Dak's contracts fault.

Boy, these are at least new excuses.

If there's one thing that should concern fans it's the run game. The scheme, the play calling, the roster and the coaching.
And I see nothing has improved much in FA or the draft.
We have HOPE that Elliott will go back in time 6 years. Or that Pollard will be a lead RB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Barely got there last season. Missed the year before. Looks pretty shot at 26 to me. Big Mac and Moore prefer to sling it. I say he is done as a 1000 rusher in Dallas. Thoughts?
Yes he did it on one leg and splitting more carries then he ever has..so yes he will.

hes not shot

got injured powered through both back and knee injuries, the knee was serious and he still as a team guy stepped up and played..before injury 5.1 YPC says Hes not shot..

that said most likely his last season here anyway can we stop[ the terrible troll posts..

Next

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fine...

4 quarter carries

Pollard - 1
Clement - 4

4th quarter carries.

Pollard - 7

4th quarter carries

Clement - 6

4th quarter carries

Pollard - 5

4th quarter carries

Pollard - 1
Clement - 4

:hammer::popcorn:

blueblood70

Reaction score

:thumbup::popcorn:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
People getting worked up over milestones clearly don't get it. I personally don't care if Zeke gets a thousand yards ever again. As long as this offense continues to be as pass heavy as it is and the Cowboys continue to take away his helmet and pads when they get a big lead his numbers simply aren't going to be the same. He had 5 or 6 games last season where he barely played in the 4th quarter and then another 5 or 6 games where he didn't get the ball because we were playing catchup. He's not being used the same so it's not reasonable to expect his numbers to look the same. Apparently that bothers some people.. I personally have no problem with it as long as we win more than we lose. But I do think they need to keep him healthy for the playoffs and if that means sitting him when he gets dinged up, especially on one of his wheels then I'm all for it.

LittleD

Reaction score
Cowboys franchise and Zeke's career are on a crash dive to the cellar.

Otis313

Reaction score
1,000 yards would be impressive if the season was 10 games and not 17.
60 yards a game is bush league.
Another expert spewing their vast knowledge.
Do you watch football?
Last years o-line was absolutely garbage and I don’t care if you had Barry sanders back there it wouldn’t have mattered.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Another expert spewing their vast knowledge.
Do you watch football?
Last years o-line was absolutely garbage and I don’t care if you had Barry sanders back there it wouldn’t have mattered.
I've stated ad nauseum that the entire offense went stale right before midseason. Does that not mean I can discuss the shortcomings of our 1st round, 4th overall pick extended to 90+ million "franchise" RB?

Is it Ok that I jaw with other fans about the exact topic of this thread?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Of course he will. He did last season. Not sure why this is questioned. He's been a Cowboy for 6 seasons & his 1,000 yard record is 4-2.
Elliott still proceeded over 1,000 yards being injured & Dak had no concussions. But yet some are complaining about the 12-5 record (Zuerlein was responsible for 3 of those losses). Wonder how much they'd be crying had both players been OUT!