Willing to part with B. Jones. Hear me out

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
He is the best DB we have had since Newman was here. If I’m not mistaken Bill drafted Newman so this organization has not done very good drafting DBs. No way I let BJ walk. Lawrence, Dak, BJ and Cooper I think can fit under the cap. If they have to let EE go a DB is harder to find than a RB. RBs are so easy to replace I don’t know if I’d ever give one a big deal.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Byron's coverage looked like carr's at the end of the year. Turnovers get you paid
Exaggeration

Regardless you're not comparing Byron's coverage to Carr's, which was the point. But yes, their health, lack of personal TOs, and spotless track record are similiar.

That's what they said about pro-bowls lol, he's going to get paid.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He is the best DB we have had since Newman was here. If I’m not mistaken Bill drafted Newman so this organization has not done very good drafting DBs. No way I let BJ walk. Lawrence, Dak, BJ and Cooper I think can fit under the cap. If they have to let EE go a DB is harder to find than a RB. RBs are so easy to replace I don’t know if I’d ever give one a big deal.
Just because he is the best DB we've been able to draft doesn't mean we should overpay.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Exaggeration

Regardless you're not comparing Byron's coverage to Carr's, which was the point. But yes, their health, lack of personal TOs, and spotless track record are similiar.

That's what they said about pro-bowls lol, he's going to get paid.
I would let him walk and sign a more impactful player like the pats did with malcolm butler

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I would let him walk and sign a more impactful player like the pats did with malcolm butler

There's not a single more impactful CB in free agency than Byron.

That didnt happen lol. They got Gilmore two years ago while Butler was still on the team in 2017. Gilmore was hot garbage that season, so the move went unnoticed.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Most of the fans on this site are never in agreement to pay a post rookie contract player.

The thinking is you can go out and get another just like him for the rookie scale. And while there are a numb er of players on this team that qualify for that assessment because they are not all that and a bag of chips. There are a few who might need to be retained.

After looking at the Rams game, I would surely question resigning any DB for big bucks. But then I also understand that no pass rush no pass defense. So I have to question the competency of the defensive line in the Rams game which offered zero help for the DB's.

But then again the defensive game plan had a hand in this.

What I really enjoy are the posts by people who suggest let Zeke walk. There are books on football that some of the ones who tout this idea should buy. Some come in yellow covers. Pro football for Dummies.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
One of the biggest topics in Cowboyland is who do we resign from our great drafts of 2015-2018. Here's the list for this season of FA.....
Player Pos. Type Cap Hit 2018
Players tagged or tendered

DeMarcus Lawrence DE UFA 17.1
David Irving DT UFA 2.9
2015 draft class
Damien Wilson OLB UFA 0.7
Geoff Swaim TE UFA 0.6
Veterans on expiring contracts
Cole Beasley WR UFA 3.4
L.P. Ladouceur LS UFA 1.1
Datone Jones DE UFA 0.8
Rod Smith RB UFA 0.7
One-year "Rentals"
Tavon Austin WR UFA 3.0
Cameron Fleming T UFA 2.5
Jamize Olawale FB UFA 2.0
Marcus Martin G UFA 0.9
Caraun Reid DE UFA 0.8
Darian Thompson FS UFA 0.7
Restricted Free Agents (ERFA)
Justin March-Lillard ILB RFA 0.6
Daniel Ross DT ERFA 0.5

From this list DLaw is the most important that you sign at almost any price. Khalil Mack who is the highest paid DE will average between 17-22mil over the length of his contract. I say front load DLaw Contract and when it hits year 3-5 it will be easier to get from under. Irving is willing to come back for a hometown discount. Treat him like Rolondo McClain and sign him yearly until he shows otherwise or you find someone to replace him. The rest will depend on our salary cap. Looking at the big picture Dak, Cooper, Jones Smith, and Zeke which is the CORE of this team is coming up the next 2-3 seasons. There's 2 ways I see this working out. Next season the NFL will add a Transition tag. The difference between the 2 is one only the team can negotiate with the franchise player that was tagged, while with the Transition tag any team can out bid the team that place the tag. I would consider this an option for Byron Jones. He is approaching his 5th year option this season. I would also consider trading him for either a first round pick to get back into the first round for a CB Stud in this years draft. We have the right front office staff in place to replace Jones. We also have the right coach in place who probably won't be around after this season in Kris Richards to coach up any CB be ready. I also believe Jourdan Lewis can fill the role. He's not Richards prototype of CB because oh his height. But he has a better nose for the ball than Jones, and we need to find out if he is keeper as he approaches the end of his rookie contract.....#Thoughts
Sorry but the post went in circles and create another hole. First nobody is going to give you a 1st for Jones. 2nd bring Irving back? Idk if ur really serious. The guy got the first significant amount of money in his life and he checked out with every check he cashed.

Jones isn’t a top CB. He is a decent press corner who you don’t want playing in zone. Or against any type of speed. He really got exposed to speed at the end of the yr.

Lawrence will get paid but he’s not demanding a lot. He won’t be 22mil a yr.

Dak Elliot and Cooper will all be extended now rather then later because basically it’s cheaper. Elliot’s cap hit this yr will probably be 6-8mil as he already has a deal in place this yr. they will probably move over his base as a sb or guarantee any base salary he has and add on the prorated sb for the new deal to go along with the sb salary he’s already been paid but is too prorated.

Dak too already has a deal in place but will be added new money. And I think everything will be guranteed this yr as they did with Romo 3 times during his career.

Cooper I think is where Dallas saves money. As deal is already guranteed so they can take that deal and turn his 13mil into a signing bonus and add guranteed money in base salaries. His cap hit this yr won’t be the 13mil+ that he has as of right now with the 5th yr option.

Think too Dallas should go and restructure Crawford. He is a important piece to the dL and they can lower that caphit and add more security in yrs for him.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
There's not a single more impactful CB in free agency than Byron.

That didnt happen lol. They got Gilmore two years ago while Butler was still on the team in 2017. Gilmore was hot garbage that season, so the move went unnoticed.
No they knew gilmore was better. Gave him a long term deal and told butler we aren't paying you. Lucky for byron that 2020 free agent class of corners is so trash we will have to sign him. His football instincts are trash and survives off athleticism. Hence why he is good in coverage but can't get any int's

75boyz

Reaction score
Well, can this team really afford to pay big dollars to Zeke, Cooper, Lawrence, Jones and the QB to add with three big contracts they already have along the offensive line?

Hopefully just Zeke Cooper and Lawrence.

75boyz

Reaction score
Lewis can start and be an upgrade over Byron. Lewis is a ball hawk type. Byron doesn't have good hands.

Totally agree bro. Richard took his "over 6 foot and 200 lbs template idea a little far in reducing Lewis's snaps I thought as well. Lewis is far better than Brown too if you ask me. Brown has better hands than Jones but not as assignment sound. Lewis, as you said "seems to always be around the ball."

That shoestring INT of Brees was a thing of beauty.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Totally agree bro. Richard took his "over 6 foot and 200 lbs template idea a little far in reducing Lewis's snaps I thought as well. Lewis is far better than Brown too if you ask me. Brown has better hands than Jones but not as assignment sound. Lewis, as you said "seems to always be around the ball."

That shoestring INT of Brees was a thing of beauty.
sure was and it was not easy.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Never seen an organization's fans so willing to get rid of their own homegrown talent.

If the Zone got it's way we'd let Lawrence and Jones walk.

People think if it works in Madden, it can work in the real world.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Oh yes, please.

I really want this organization desperate for cornerbacks.

It has really really worked out so well in the past.

75boyz

Reaction score
Oh yes, please.

I really want this organization desperate for cornerbacks.

It has really really worked out so well in the past.

You mean you thought Mo never lived up to his 6th overall pick status or Carr didn't earn every penny of his 50 million dollar contract? Surely your're not referring to the Hall of Famer Jenkins or vehicular manslaughter guy in ( wasn't it ?)...Goodrich?

With this cast of all timers its clear that you have unattainable standards and are not to be taken seriously...I mean geez, really. What more could you want?