Willy McGinest Thread

Galian Beast

Reaction score
That honestly makes me sad. I was so looking forward to see the double sided pass rush of McGinest and Ware

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The likelihood that he gets released with the cba done, and the salary cap increased, I see him restructuring his deal to stay in New England.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
The likelihood that he gets released with the cba done, and the salary cap increased, I see him restructuring his deal to stay in New England.

who cares...he's been in the league since 1994

he wasnt going to make or break us, or anyone else

David

Galian Beast

Reaction score
21 sacks in the last 3 years.

4.5 sacks in last years playoffs (in one game actually)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another old and expensive stop gap guy. We are moving away from those IMHO.

ljs44

Reaction score
Just reported on Mike and Mike from a Boston Globe report

Jay

Reaction score
Yup, I just heard that as well.

He was officially released apparently right after the CBA agreement.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
That honestly makes me sad. I was so looking forward to see the double sided pass rush of McGinest and Ware

Your prayers may have been answered.. just heard it on mike and mike

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/03/09/patriots_cut_ties_with_mcginest/

Patriots cut ties with McGinest
Team gains room under new cap
By Ron Borges and Jerome Solomon, Globe Staff | March 9, 2006

GRAPEVINE, Texas -- Only minutes after the NFL's owners voted 30-2 to extend the collective bargaining agreement six years, the Patriots ended their 12-year agreement with all-time postseason sack leader Willie McGinest, according to one NFL personnel director last night.

Article Tools
Printer friendly
Single page
E-mail to a friend
Patriots RSS feed
Available RSS feeds
Most e-mailed
Reprints/permissions
More:
Sports section |
Latest sports news |
Globe front page |
Boston.com
Sign up for: Globe Headlines e-mail | Breaking News Alerts McGinest's name popped up on the wire of vested veterans who had been released in cost-cutting moves almost immediately after the CBA extension was announced around 8:35 p.m.

Although the Patriots were not struggling to get under the new cap figure of $102 million, McGinest carried a prohibitive salary cap figure of more than $7 million for next season, a number he told the Globe a week ago he felt would surely result in him becoming a free agent unless the team chose to rework his deal.

Although the Patriots reportedly remain hopeful of signing McGinest, league sources said last night that the Cleveland Browns, San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys, and several other teams intend to explore signing McGinest, who last year became the all-time postseason sack leader (16), passing Hall of Famer Reggie White (12) and Bruce Smith (14 1/2).

McGinest, 34, started all 18 games last season and ranks third on the team's all-time sacks list (78), just 1 1/2 behind Julius Adams. Andre Tippett tops the chart with 100 sacks.

McGinest was second on the team with six sacks during the regular season (trailing Rosevelt Colvin's seven) and set an NFL playoff record with 4 1/2 sacks in the Patriots' 28-3 wild-card win over Jacksonville Jan. 7.

Although McGinest told the Globe in an exclusive interview last week that he would like nothing better than to finish his career with the Patriots, he was also excited about the possibility of exploring the free agent market for the first time. It is the same situation veteran wide receiver Troy Brown found himself in a year ago, when he was offered more money to play for New Orleans than he received to return to New England.

After much soul searching, Brown said he listened to the pleadings of his family and returned to New England. Now McGinest may find himself facing a similar pull -- the battle between a financial decision and a heartfelt one.

With the free agency period expected to begin at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, the money under the cap will play a role in what the Patriots do with their two most important free agents -- kicker Adam Vinatieri and wideout David Givens. Negotiations have been slow with both players, as the Patriots have been reluctant to make any long-term deals because of the labor uncertainty.

Expect them to take on Vinatieri first. While kickers don't carry nearly as much value as position players -- Tom Brady received more in a roster bonus this month ($12 million) than Vinatieri has made in his entire 10-year career -- Vinatieri is considered to be among the most valuable of the available free agents

Pabst

Reaction score
Hmm...

Aging, former Parcells player, who is good in the locker room...

Yea, so what number is he going to take when JJ signs him?

Anguillidae

Reaction score
Let's sign McGinest to a one/two year deal and draft Bobby Carpenter. Then McGinest can mentor Ware and Carpenter.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind him either.

I think the LOLB position should work out next year. I think the big question is whether or not they go after Lavar. If they do, then there's a good chance they'll probably focus on other positions in the draft given Lavar is only 27 years old. OTOH, if they go after McGinest, they'd be smart to draft an OLB early to replace McGinest in the future.

Rich.........

MrPhil

Reaction score
If we keep signing all these older players, Jerry will be able to save a lot of $$ on team meals using the senoir citizen discount!

In all seriousness, I have a real problem bringing in older players (30+) with expensive contracts that they likely won't see the end of. I believe in winning now but, not at the expense of the future.

So, I am ok with bringing in Willie if it for a reasonable, cap friendly deal.

MrPhil

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I wouldn't mind him either.

I think the LOLB position should work out next year. I think the big question is whether or not they go after Lavar. If they do, then there's a good chance they'll probably focus on other positions in the draft given Lavar is only 27 years old. OTOH, if they go after McGinest, they'd be smart to draft an OLB early to replace McGinest in the future.

Rich.........

I agree. I think McGinest would be a great mentor, I just hope we don't overpay for him.

ljs44

Reaction score
MrPhil said:
If we keep signing all these older players, Jerry will be able to save a lot of $$ on team meals using the senoir citizen discount!

In all seriousness, I have a real problem bringing in older players (30+) with expensive contracts that they likely won't see the end of. I believe in winning now but, not at the expense of the future.

So, I am ok with bringing in Willie if it for a reasonable, cap friendly deal.

I would assume it would be something like what Glenn signed for last year, only a little larger. But i agree, bring him in if the price is right.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Anguillidae said:
Let's sign McGinest to a one/two year deal and draft Bobby Carpenter. Then McGinest can mentor Ware and Carpenter.
I like that scenario a lot!

McGinest - Carpenter - James - Ware