Willy McGinest Thread

MrMom

Reaction score
DBoys said:
At his age he will want to go to a team that can win now. Cleveland is a long way away from the playoffs.

Edge Dallas
He's won his titles, I think he may be looking to cash in.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Another old and expensive stop gap guy. We are moving away from those IMHO.

Stop gap??? Are you crazy? This guy plays like a guy half his age with twice the experience! Take a look at his numbers over his career. He's usually good for at least 4 or 5 sacks + per year, every year. He would be a good pick-up for a one year deal...maybe two, but probably not. His workouts have been featured on ESPN several times over the years and younger players have a hard time staying with him. I would love to see him in Dallas for a season or two...once you see him, I think you'll agree.

DBoys

Reaction score
MrMom said:
He's won his titles, I think he may be looking to cash in.

Players want to win and will sacrifice money to do so. Look at the bargains the Cowboys have received from older Parcells guys looking to win.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DBoys said:
At his age he will want to go to a team that can win now. Cleveland is a long way away from the playoffs.

Edge Dallas
I'd say edge Pats. They were actually IN the playoffs last year.

At his age, if the money's about the same, he'll be back there. Remember Troy Brown was cut and took less money to go back to the Pats for a 1-yr deal.

DBoys

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
I'd say edge Pats. They were actually IN the playoffs last year.

At his age, if the money's about the same, he'll be back there. Remember Troy Brown was cut and took less money to go back to the Pats for a 1-yr deal.

True but the Pats play in one of the worst divisions in football. In my opinion their playoff appearance was more a product of that then anything else. It makes sense for him to resign with the Pats considering the history. But I feel Dallas has more upside at this point and time.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
MrMom said:
Don't forget the Romeo factor. Plus they have a lot of money to spend.

The Browns are still a team in rebuilding mode. Even with the Romeo factor, I don't think he really wants to go to a team that's still rebuilding. Then again, in some sense Dallas is still rebuilding as well.

Rich...........

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I think it's goofy that you guys want to bring in both McGinest and somebody like Carpenter...that's just not how it's done. Rather, bring in McGinest to a good 2-3 year deal (nothing crazy) and then maybe draft his backup in the later rounds if somebody slips...if not, then you draft a guy next year. The time of being a backup for years to learn a position is well past but you guys are still stuck on it. Only at QB do teams still do it the old way.

You're not bringing McGinest in to mentor one or two players but to be a guy who can point out his rings to the whole defense and say "This is what we have to do to win" and have credibility. Not to mention he can still make plays.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I would be very happy if we brought in McGinnest, we're relatively, a very young team, we have alot of younger guys starting on D, we need an influx of veteran leadership, esp. now that Dat is gone, and McGinnest can still play

and i agree that OLB should still be a top priority in the draft regardless if we bring him in...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt said:
:crossed: Keep your fingers crossed. This would be a great pickup. Sure its a short term fix but with a first round LB this year we'll have a very young LB core.

yep, remember one our biggest problem last year, per Parcells, was depth at OLB? only 1 addition isn't going to fix that, sign McGinnest and draft an OLB in the 1st round would be the way to go...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
I think it's goofy that you guys want to bring in both McGinest and somebody like Carpenter...that's just not how it's done. Rather, bring in McGinest to a good 2-3 year deal (nothing crazy) and then maybe draft his backup in the later rounds if somebody slips...if not, then you draft a guy next year. The time of being a backup for years to learn a position is well past but you guys are still stuck on it. Only at QB do teams still do it the old way.

You're not bringing McGinest in to mentor one or two players but to be a guy who can point out his rings to the whole defense and say "This is what we have to do to win" and have credibility. Not to mention he can still make plays.
I strongly disagree with this. When a guy is 35 you need to find his replacement ASAP. For one thing theres a huge risk of injury. Whether he's had a good history or not, Father Time comes a knocking eventually. Its better to be prepared with depth. Also, having a LB core with an average of 2 years experience is another major concern.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
McGinnest has a lot of pride - if he can get a similar deal elsewhere he will leave. That said, he has a defined role in NE. I'd offer him a vet reasonable offer only. He brings hands on leadership and ability to teach Ware, Spears, Canty and our new OLB in ways Ellis can't.

And a McGinnest signing is at Ellis' job.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
how so? McGinnest, OLB, Ellis, DE...
Splitting hairs on 3-4 roles. Ellis is a 4-3 DE that struggles moreso as a pure 3-4 DE. He is basically now a 4-3 3rd down Nickel pass rusher. Ellis can't play OLB. McGinnest is a DE/OLB hybrid and bigger than Ware. He can play DE in nickel pass rush roles and would be at odds with Ellis at that spot.

Canty/Spears allready have the 3-4 DE starting roles filled. A mCginnest signing really - jmo would mean the end of Ellis' days a Cowboy.

And I'm not sure we see Willie here anyway.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
A mCginnest signing really - jmo would mean the end of Ellis' days a Cowboy.

:jerk:

Ellis is going nowhere, not with his cap charge being so reasonable, and the cap being so large

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Splitting hairs on 3-4 roles. Ellis is a 4-3 DE that struggles moreso as a pure 3-4 DE. He is basically now a 4-3 3rd down Nickel pass rusher. Ellis can't play OLB. McGinnest is a DE/OLB hybrid and bigger than Ware. He can play DE in nickel pass rush roles and would be at odds with Ellis at that spot.

Canty/Spears allready have the 3-4 DE starting roles filled. A mCginnest signing really - jmo would mean the end of Ellis' days a Cowboy.

And I'm not sure we see Willie here anyway.
First of all, Bill "Freaking" Parcells himself totally disagrees with this assessment. In 2006 Ellis is looking to have an expanded role. Why? According to the Big Tuna, our run stopping ability was better with Ellis. On top of this look at his sack numbers.

Canty will have a significant role, but let's not call our Coach a liar just because Ellis isn't a perfect fit within your agenda.

McGinnist would most likely be used primarily at SOLB, though he and Ware might switch sides on some looks. IF he was signed. Big if.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
First of all, Bill "Freaking" Parcells himself totally disagrees with this assessment. In 2006 Ellis is looking to have an expanded role. Why? According to the Big Tuna, our run stopping ability was better with Ellis. On top of this look at his sack numbers.

Canty will have a significant role, but let's not call our Coach a liar just because Ellis isn't a perfect fit within your agenda.

McGinnist would most likely be used primarily at SOLB, though he and Ware might switch sides on some looks. IF he was signed. Big if.

We'll see - he said all the same things about Ellis before the season. The future of this defense is Canty, Spears and Ware.

Parcells will plug in players as best fit our needs. That can change. Ellis at best may have a stop gap season here. I stand by the statement that a McGinnest signing probably is the end of Ellis in Big D. Just like Coak, Glover this defense is moving to the future. McGinnest JMO is a better stopgap leader, mentor in the 3-4 today.

Big if though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
We'll see - he said all the same things about Ellis before the season. The future of this defense is Canty, Spears and Ware.

Parcells will plug in players as best fit our needs. That can change. Ellis at best may have a stop gap season here. I stand by the statement that a McGinnest signing probably is the end of Ellis in Big D. Just like Coak, Glover this defense is moving to the future. McGinnest JMO is a better stopgap leader, mentor in the 3-4 today.

Big if though.
Future doesn't mean immediately though does it?

Therein lies the key difference.

FWIW, losing Glover was/is foolish.

McGinnist as a mentor is possible. But to Ware, not Canty or Spears most likely. That is Ellis' role.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile said:
FWIW, losing Glover was/is foolish.
Foolish? It was a simple cost-benefit analysis. It doesn't seem like the decision was even close to me.