Win the trenches and you can win in any era

visionary

Reaction score
I assume you mean the GB front 7...but LOL NO

First one was no pressure, his arm is just shot.
Second one had no pressure, arm is just shot.
Third one was an unblocked DB on a blitz.

The GB front 7 didn't do anything.

LOL no
I meant TB front 7, as I said., as an explanation of why GB was not able to score more points off the 3 turnovers

Motorola

Reaction score
Yep, this has always been the case and is still the case even in this pass happy league. If you put pressure on the QB and protect you’re own QB you’re going to win a lot of games.
One more point that pertains to both line groups: Limit penalties
OLine- false starts, holding
DLine- encroachment, roughing the passer

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
The era's Quarterback for the Ages switches to an NFL footnote franchise, leads them to the Super Bowl immediately, and the conclusion we should draw from that is about the importance of the trenches?

Exactly. Some fans are simply incapable of ever learning anything.

The four final teams featured 4 of the top 5 ranked quarterbacks (DVOA), and teams loaded with receivers. Bucs are 28th in rushing, Bills are 20th.

The Chiefs most productive rusher Sunday was a wide receiver beating the edge.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
those three INTs were horrible. Worst than Neil O’Donnell bad.

After each one I thought crap this is where Rogers pulls it out and scores a TD. Credit TB defense for being on point.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
What I saw today was two teams that were able to contain a ground game, play extra men in coverage and frustrate two future, hall of fame QB's. The difference was Tampa Bay was able to generate consistent pressure with their front four, where Green Bay could not. It's that simple, win the trenches, win the game!

Certainly it doesn't help when you have a bonehead HC not going for it down 8 late in the game inside the 10 nor a CB who has no understanding of time getting beat beat at the end of the half.

I don't want to hear people complain when the team doesn't make the exciting, wow pick at 10 this year and takes another offensive lineman or defensive lineman in rd 1 and a two down run DT in rd two. Someone said recently, can you name the starting secondary for the Washington Football Team? Not many can and they are one of the best defenses in the entire league due to their front 4.
We have put plenty of resources in the offensive line over the years. 3 first round picks, priority free agent and two top 3 round picks at guard. It’s time we let the line sink or swim. You move Collins or Martin to left tackle if Smith is injured. We have good depth on the line. The offensive line without Smith and Collins is still better then our secondary, defensive line and linebackers as units. Defensive line is our number 1 issue but there is no highly rated defensive tackle in the draft. I would trade down into the teens draft a pass rusher/linebacker then try to trade up back into the first round to grab a defensive tackle. We need to move on from Jaylon get the 7 million in June 1 savings. Sign Dak long term then sign a big fat defensive tackle. That would improve our front 7 greatly.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well brady threw 3 straight interceptions. Rogers offense failed to convert any of them into points.
none of them were in tampa territory, they were like punts. one took away a possible fg att but thats it,.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What I saw today was two teams that were able to contain a ground game, play extra men in coverage and frustrate two future, hall of fame QB's. The difference was Tampa Bay was able to generate consistent pressure with their front four, where Green Bay could not. It's that simple, win the trenches, win the game!

Certainly it doesn't help when you have a bonehead HC not going for it down 8 late in the game inside the 10 nor a CB who has no understanding of time getting beat beat at the end of the half.

I don't want to hear people complain when the team doesn't make the exciting, wow pick at 10 this year and takes another offensive lineman or defensive lineman in rd 1 and a two down run DT in rd two. Someone said recently, can you name the starting secondary for the Washington Football Team? Not many can and they are one of the best defenses in the entire league due to their front 4.
good point , and both our lines suck now and may not get any better anytime soon.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Well brady threw 3 straight interceptions. Rogers offense failed to convert any of them into points.
Why? Because Tampa Bay’s front 4 was dominant.
Brady is outstanding, but he has an excellent team around him, especially both lines.

T-RO

Reaction score
Levels of importance on an NFL football team:

1. QB. Blatantly obvious.
2. Trenches. Also blatantly obvious.
3. Everything else.

Nope.

1. QB in aggressive in creative bold scheme
2. Playmakers, esp. at WR
3. Defenders to stop opposing QB and playmakers
4. Everything else

Tampa Bay has best wide receiver group in NFC. Chiefs have best 1-2 playmaker duo of decade.

Andy Reid is pass, centric...willing to go for fourth down.
Arians is most down-field risk taker in sport

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
The era's Quarterback for the Ages switches to an NFL footnote franchise, leads them to the Super Bowl immediately, and the conclusion we should draw from that is about the importance of the trenches?
Did you watch the game? Tampa Bay’s front 4 was dominant. Brady had a running game and excellent pass protection most of the game. Brady’s O line and especially his D line played excellent. Brady drove the bus.

T-RO

Reaction score
Great defense will slow down, if not shut down, a great QB 90% of the time.

What are you talking about? The four team's offenses averaged 30 points yesterday. You think anyone is going to shut down the Chiefs offense?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Nope.

1. QB in aggressive in creative bold scheme
2. Playmakers, esp. at WR
3. Defenders to stop opposing QB and playmakers
4. Everything else

Tampa Bay has best wide receiver group in NFC. Chiefs have best 1-2 playmaker duo of decade.

Andy Reid is pass, centric...willing to go for fourth down.
Arians is most down-field risk taker in sport
Nothing else matters if you are not strong in the trenches. Did you play football?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
What are you talking about? The four team's offenses averaged 30 points yesterday. You think anyone is going to shut down the Chiefs offense?
I’m talking about the history of the NFL!
Just a few examples: Twice the Giants with a great defensive game plan beat Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. The Giants D shut down Brady’s best offense ever( Randy Moss! ). Seattle‘s D beat the hell out of Payton Manning’s highest scoring offense of all time.

Yes. I think Tampa Bay, a very good D, not a great D, has a chance to, slow down, KC’s high powered offense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We have put plenty of resources in the offensive line over the years. 3 first round picks, priority free agent and two top 3 round picks at guard. It’s time we let the line sink or swim. You move Collins or Martin to left tackle if Smith is injured. We have good depth on the line. The offensive line without Smith and Collins is still better then our secondary, defensive line and linebackers as units. Defensive line is our number 1 issue but there is no highly rated defensive tackle in the draft. I would trade down into the teens draft a pass rusher/linebacker then try to trade up back into the first round to grab a defensive tackle. We need to move on from Jaylon get the 7 million in June 1 savings. Sign Dak long term then sign a big fat defensive tackle. That would improve our front 7 greatly.

What happens if both your Tackles aren't healthy? We haven't heard much about either player during the off-season. There were whispers that Collins might have bone on bone with his hip, we know that Tyron is getting worse each season. Martin missed 6 games last season. The line is clearly aging and getting worse. We have no chance for success if our line falls apart again. Against the better teams last year, they got destroyed in the trenches, couldn't run nor pass. I have no problem trading back and still get a player and address the need on day 2., but it has to be addressed.

As for the defensive, Jaylon isn't getting released this off-season. They have no replacement on the current roster, going to the 4-3 front, in which another starter is needed and have Lve who has major durability concerns. Add in both Lee/Thomas probably won't return. Expect to see a starting caliber veteran fa signed and another linebacker prospect drafted. Going to a more simplistic defense, they are going to try to see if Jaylon can rebound, if not, he will get released the next off-season where there is less dead money involved.

I fully expect in the draft a NT, LB, CB, FS being added.