Wings Over Dallas Plane Crash

nobody

Reaction score
This is tragic. Let's just hope it happened so fast that none of the crews knew what hit them before it was over.

catiii

Reaction score
More views and close-ups. One of the most horrible things I've ever seen esp since I'm a pilot. Redbird (Executive now) does have an FAA Control Tower.
My Dad was in the West Texas Rattlesnake Squadron of the CAF.

Mannix

Reaction score
Wow, that's horrible. The smaller plane almost seemed like it was attacking the bomber. I guess it must be hard to see anything below it?

You aren't the first to say that....in fact, everyone I've spoken to that has seen multiple videos has said the same thing. Lets hope that was not the case.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Hate seeing this. Very sad. You really wonder what went wrong there?

It sucks to witness that in real life too. I witnessed the USAF Thunderbird crash at Mountain Home Air Force base in Idaho back in 2003. Fortunately, the pilot lived (he ejected just in time), but nobody in the crowd knew that for some time. After the crash, when you're still in the unknown, you just have this gut-wrenching feeling that you just witnessed somebody lose their life in a very violent way.

Unfortunately in this Texas case, looks like there are no survivors.

terra

Reaction score
I hope it was mechanical failure; otherwise that pilot basically murdered everyone in that B-17.

Because I agree with pretty much everyone who watched the footage that the pilot appeared to be simulating an attack on the B17 by a fighter.

and doing what he did was beyond stupid; it was criminal.

rags747

Reaction score
The B-17 was in his blind spot. You obviously cannot see through your floor board or wings. Just seems to be a lack of situational awareness. The King Cobra was a 777 pilot, more than 34k hours of flight time.

terra

Reaction score
The B-17 was in his blind spot. You obviously cannot see through your floor board or wings. Just seems to be a lack of situational awareness. The King Cobra was a 777 pilot, more than 34k hours of flight time.
Rule of thumb; little planes are supposed to avoid big planes.

There is no excuse for what happened; unless something mechanical broke.
I talked to a pilot friend of mine this morning and he said to him it looked like the P 63 pilot was trying to show off.

And guess what? Flying a 777 and a single seat propeller plane is a little different

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It seems like every year there’s a crash at an airshow.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wow, that's horrible. The smaller plane almost seemed like it was attacking the bomber. I guess it must be hard to see anything below it?

I was thinking the same thing. Don’t know how it didn’t see it.