Wings Over Dallas Plane Crash

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
I hope it was mechanical failure; otherwise that pilot basically murdered everyone in that B-17.

Because I agree with pretty much everyone who watched the footage that the pilot appeared to be simulating an attack on the B17 by a fighter.

and doing what he did was beyond stupid; it was criminal.

They do simulated attack runs at airshows a lot of times, but I've never seen one like that. All I have ever seen is like two biplanes chasing each other, or a P51 chasing a Messerschmidt firing blanks, none that required them crossing paths and both planes were at the same speed.

nobody

Reaction score
The King Cobra was known to have terrible visibility since WW2. What was it even doing in the air with so many planes at the same time with that known problem? With such awful visibility, it should have had a specific set flight plan that kept it nowhere near other aircraft. Given that the B17 was flying level, they were likely following their set route. The King Cobra was descending.

An article from a few hours ago has this bit:

Air shows must obtain special waivers from the FAA and all of the pilots have to demonstrate their skills in low flying and other maneuvers used in air shows, said John Cox, a former airline captain with more than 50 years’ experience. Cox is also founder of Safety Operating Systems, a company that helps smaller airlines and corporate flight services from around the world with safety planning.

Each air show is overseen by an air boss, Cox said.

“If there’s any adjustments that have to be made, it’s the air boss that makes those calls and the pilots comply with that,” he said. In addition, any pilot with a mechanical problem would announce it to the air boss, he said.

Air shows typically rely on extremely detailed plans, including contingencies for emergencies, Cox said. For example, any pilot who ran into trouble could break out of formation and go to a designated area free of other planes that is identified by a landmark of some kind.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/killed-vintage-aircraft-collide-dallas-air-show-93213596

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

terra

Reaction score
I thought so from the other videos. They must have been simulating an attack and the pilot misjudged or had mechanical issues. I'm sure it wasn't a kamikaze mission.
Just criminal stupidity/carelessness.
Looking at it from several different views I really doubt there was a mechanical problem.
Remember this guy was an airline pilot; spent almost all his time flying big planes.
I think he was showing off.

Sammy

Reaction score
Looking at it from several different views I really doubt there was a mechanical problem.
Remember this guy was an airline pilot; spent almost all his time flying big planes.

I live in Boise where Micron CEO Steve Appleton died doing stupid stunts several years ago. There were several pilots interviewed and the general consensus was there are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots.

rags747

Reaction score
Criminal, seriously?! Read the guys backround and then let us know.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would point out a lot of serial killers had impeccable backgrounds.
Remember that FBI agent that sold our agents out to the Russians? He was supposed to be virtually the perfect guy.
So your claim is rather stupid. Those all had shiny backgrounds

HE was either showing off or stupidly careless

Either one rates the criminal carelessness charge.

You don't like it; well talk to the ones HE KILLED.

Oh, thats right, they are DEAD. No second chance for them.
How many serial killers committed suicide as part of their first kill?

This looks to be a case of poor visibility from the cockpit. No need to crap on someone before any investigation is complete.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Criminal, seriously?! Read the guys backround and then let us know.

Obviously using the term "criminal" tends to automatically infer that there was some level of intent involved, but that isn't necessarily true. The term "criminal" can be broad and could technically be applied depending upon what the investigation uncovers. Possibly under the broad definition of "criminal neglect" by the pilots actions. I'm not saying that is the case or that conclusion will be reached. The investigation may just determine it was an unfortunate accident and likely pilot error, but not at the level of criminality.

From the views I have seen, it appears the smaller plane came in along the wrong path, the pilot tried to correct by accelerating to gain lift to avoid the collision, but it was too late.

I wonder how much flying time he had in this plane. I assume it was quite a bit. He was definitely an experienced pilot in general. The guys that fly these planes love what they are doing and try to get as much time doing it as they can. It is an amazing hobby and lifestyle. Certainly an unfortunate event.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Obviously using the term "criminal" tends to automatically infer that there was some level of intent involved, but that isn't necessarily true. The term "criminal" can be broad and could technically be applied depending upon what the investigation uncovers. Possibly under the broad definition of "criminal neglect" by the pilots actions. I'm not saying that is the case or that conclusion will be reached. The investigation may just determine it was an unfortunate accident and likely pilot error, but not at the level of criminality.

From the views I have seen, it appears the smaller plane came in along the wrong path, the pilot tried to correct by accelerating to gain lift to avoid the collision, but it was too late.

I wonder how much flying time he had in this plane. I assume it was quite a bit. He was definitely an experienced pilot in general. The guys that fly these planes love what they are doing and try to get as much time doing it as they can. It is an amazing hobby and lifestyle. Certainly an unfortunate event.
I'm not a pilot, but it seems to me, when he seemingly accelerated, he had enough time to just bank left instead. I honestly think he didn't see the bomber in time to react in any way, if he ever saw him at all.

And I really think he meant "criminal" in the worst sense of the word.

rags747

Reaction score

The tragedy that it is we can all rest assured that they all died doing exactly what they love. These guys are all volunteers, spend countless hours with these planes and piloting them. Godspeed to all of them.

terra

Reaction score
I'm not a pilot, but it seems to me, when he seemingly accelerated, he had enough time to just bank left instead. I honestly think he didn't see the bomber in time to react in any way, if he ever saw him at all.

I did mean it that way; disgusting how many here want to basically absolve him of blame. HOW MANY DID HE KILL?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I hope it was mechanical failure; otherwise that pilot basically murdered everyone in that B-17.

Because I agree with pretty much everyone who watched the footage that the pilot appeared to be simulating an attack on the B17 by a fighter.

and doing what he did was beyond stupid; it was criminal.
Lot's of assumptions here.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Rule of thumb; little planes are supposed to avoid big planes.

There is no excuse for what happened; unless something mechanical broke.
I talked to a pilot friend of mine this morning and he said to him it looked like the P 63 pilot was trying to show off.

And guess what? Flying a 777 and a single seat propeller plane is a little different
More assumptions.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

This model will air stall if you try to respond too quickly. He may have never saw the B. It looked like he was trying to catch up to the Mustang.

But it's being investigated. Could have been a flight control mistake. The B could have been out of position. But to assume it's criminal? I wouldn't go that far.

terra

Reaction score
This model will air stall if you try to respond too quickly. He may have never saw the B. It looked like he was trying to catch up to the Mustang.

But it's being investigated. Could have been a flight control mistake. The B could have been out of position. But to assume it's criminal? I wouldn't go that far.
As was mentioned visibility in the P-63 was lousy. Which SHOULD have meant no trying that kind of stunt. Frankly trying any kind of stunt that let the aircraft get that close together is to me criminal negligence. Its not the intent; its the result. Carelessness when it kills people IS CRIMINAL. Easy to find lots of court cases as regards criminal negligence.
Lot's of assumptions here.
or maybe by this time so many are afraid to appear judgemental.
Which is a pathetic joke as everyone judges everything every day.
I see nothing so far that in any way shape or form goes against what I said on the first day.