Winning with non athletic qb

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
That's just not true:

Mahomes - can run but wants to throw first - really the only true dual threat QB in the NFL currently.
Stafford - a Statue
Brady - a Statue
Foles - a Statue
P. Manning - Statue
Wilson - was good at both at the time
Flacco - Statue
E. Manning - Statue

Those are the QB winners in the last 13 SB. Most are not very athletic and Brady and P. Manning are the only statues that I would consider elite level passers. Stafford - very good but inconsistent QB, Foles - great run as the QB but wasn't good prior or after that run, Flacco had an amazing playoff year but is a very meh QB- same for Eli.

Dak is more than Athletic enough to win games in the NFL, he can get out and move around and run on occassion. His athletic ability is not what is hurting this team,, his mental toughness on the other hand..

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Unless elite passer nearly impossible to win significant games in today’s nfl. Running by the qb is important. Can’t be slow and lumbering with mentality to not run. Only going to get worse as time goes on unfortunately for us.
fair although it does seem some do like Herbert, lesser extent Burrow. It does seem that it is almost more important for a QB to be a 3rd RB who can throw a few passes, than a QB who can run a few times.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's just not true:

Mahomes - can run but wants to throw first - really the only true dual threat QB in the NFL currently.
Stafford - a Statue
Brady - a Statue
Foles - a Statue
P. Manning - Statue
Flacco - Statue
E. Manning - Statue

Those are the QB winners in the last 13 SB. Most are not very athletic and Brady and P. Manning are the only statues that I would consider elite level passers. Stafford - very good but inconsistent QB, Foles - great run as the QB but wasn't good prior or after that run, Flacco had an amazing playoff year but is a very meh QB- same for Eli.

Dak is more than Athletic enough to win games in the NFL, he can get out and move around and run on occassion. His athletic ability is not what is hurting this team,, his mental toughness on the other hand..
I’m definitely not a Dak hater, but I’d rather have a QB that is quicker and can get away from the rush

Romo was slow but way more evasive

It’s an issue IMO - especially because his pocket aware was isn’t the best

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I’m definitely not a Dak hater, but I’d rather have a QB that is quicker and can get away from the rush

I am not one to defend Dak, at all. I just didn't agree with the statement that it takes a running QB to win games. I don't think his ability to run or being slow etc is what's hurting the team. His lack of mental toughness and being inconsistent though are way more hurtful to the team than his legs. But he is who we have for the foreseable future so...

Jipper

Reaction score

Remember that spin out move against JJ watt for the td….that was amazing

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Im not aware of the 3rd string QB rule that was newly implemented...

But if he is allowed to play...

Why would Dak be the 2 point conversion QB? Seems like Lance is who I would put in to put pressure on the defense to stop a guy with serious legs.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
That's just not true:

Stafford - a Statue
Brady - a Statue
Foles - a Statue
P. Manning - Statue
Flacco - Statue
E. Manning - Statue

Those guys all have a quicker release than Dak. They all have/had a better deep ball. Dak is poor in many areas right now. He's doesn't elude sacks much at all anymore, is slow on the release, can't hit a deep ball, isn't an effective runner, and is poor at improvised plays when things break down.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's just not true:

Stafford - a Statue
Brady - a Statue
Foles - a Statue
P. Manning - Statue
Flacco - Statue
E. Manning - Statue

Yeah this is a stupid take if you can’t throw from
The pocket you are cooked.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Those guys all have a quicker release than Dak. They all have/had a better deep ball. Dak is poor in many areas right now. He's doesn't elude sacks much at all anymore, is slow on the release, can't hit a deep ball, isn't an effective runner, and is poor at improvised plays when things break down.
That’s one of his best characteristics is when things break down all his biggest plays come from him leaving the pocket and throwing form the run. Not sure what you guys are watching.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't think Dak isn't mobile enough to win games doesn't know what they're talking about.
Just clueless and have no idea what they are watching. As immobile as Flacco, Eli and Foles were…they want me to believe that mobility is what’s wrong because everyone is Lamar who btw doesn’t win either.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Unless you’re an elite passer like Rodgers, I agree. Young, fast, athleticism is the way to go. Yet we got someone that is neither.

Just a joke all around. Maybe if we can convert the NFL into a circus show, we’d be number 1.
You can win with Dak.

You can’t pay Dak and build a championship roster.

That’s always been the problem.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can win with Dak.

You can’t pay Dak and build a championship roster.

That’s always been the problem.
That’s everyone’s dilemma right now though. Only guys winning rings are Mahomes and Brady lol. Cowboys issues stem from the trenches and you can’t fix the trenches and being toughness with a pocket book.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Because Lance can’t throw.
I get it. I think my goal would be to have him score with his legs as the number one priority.

Remove risk of interception.

If play breaks down...at that point, try and find an open player in the end zone.

The above scenario seems to apply more stress on a defense to me.