Winning with non athletic qb

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Dak is athletic enough to run, he chooses not to. And there are times there are easy yards there for the taking. Not sure that is going to change.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A QB that’s done most of their damage with their legs has never won a championship. Lamar Jackson’s playoff record is no better than Dak’s.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I agree with you 99.9999%. You can't afford to buy better players if you're allocating that much $$ to the QB. The other .0001% of me says if Dak only made $1 million instead of $60 million a year, the Jones would find a way to screw up spending the other $59 million.
We could not win with our "GM" if you gave him an extra $100M to spend.

morat1959

Reaction score
Unless elite passer nearly impossible to win significant games in today’s nfl. Running by the qb is important. Can’t be slow and lumbering with mentality to not run. Only going to get worse as time goes on unfortunately for us.
Dak lacks ALOT more than running ability. His list of limitations are long and always have been.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I watched the condensed game replay of the 49ers and Rams game yesterday. Both of their quarterbacks looked fantastic had zip on the ball made all the throws. Neither of them are great runners but I would take either of them over this quarter billion dollar sloth

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m definitely not a Dak hater, but I’d rather have a QB that is quicker and can get away from the rush

Romo was slow but way more evasive

It’s an issue IMO - especially because his pocket aware was isn’t the best
Lol

morat1959

Reaction score
Those guys all have a quicker release than Dak. They all have/had a better deep ball. Dak is poor in many areas right now. He's doesn't elude sacks much at all anymore, is slow on the release, can't hit a deep ball, isn't an effective runner, and is poor at improvised plays when things break down.
You left out slow as mud going through his progressions and horrible pocket presence. He also holds the ball too long because he doesn’t trust his accuracy. He’s never been able to throw a receiver open.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I watched the condensed game replay of the 49ers and Rams game yesterday. Both of their quarterbacks looked fantastic had zip on the ball made all the throws. Neither of them are great runners but I would take either of them over this quarter billion dollar sloth
Did you watch their defenses give 6.5 yards a carry?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak is fine, he just needs more help and they could afford to give him that help if they didn't give him max deals every 4 years. If the coaches can't scheme players open then the players must find a way and with cooks and turpin not being big targets it makes things really difficult even for good but not elite QB's. Imagine having paid Carr, sam darnold, Kirk cousins, or andy Dalton then using thatr extra 80-100 million in savings to add a starting calibre DT and RB like henry, plus more! Then these boys might contend in the playoffs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak is fine, he just needs more help and they could afford to give him that help if they didn't give him max deals every 4 years. If the coaches can't scheme players open then the players must find a way and with cooks and turpin not being big targets it makes things really difficult even for good but not elite QB's. Imagine having paid Carr, sam darnold, Kirk cousins, or andy Dalton then using thatr extra 80-100 million in savings to add a starting calibre DT and RB like henry, plus more! Then these boys might contend in the playoffs.
When your receivers don't get separation that is a problem. When you can't run the ball that is a problem. When you can't stop the run and keep giving up TD's to start the every game and every first drive after the half that is a problem.

But let's keep talking about Dak.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
When your receivers don't get separation that is a problem
I'm sorry but I think this is overblown. Most of the completions are wide open by NFL standards and when you go back & watch replays of incompletions there are often guys open.

Do our receivers fail the QB or the QB fail the receivers more often? Think it's more the latter.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I think this is overblown. Most of the completions are wide open by NFL standards and when you go back & watch replays of incompletions there are often guys open.

Do our receivers fail the QB or the QB fail the receivers more often? Think it's more the latter.
Just like a QB fails the RB's right.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I have often said a QB needs to be able to beat you from the pocket to go deep in the playoffs. But yesterday was another example of how a running QB can break the back of defenses. THE MVP toyed with us. He could have gone for 200 himself had he chose to. The OP is correct, lacking elite passing skills it is quite helpful to have elite legs. It'll get you just as many regular season wins so you can hang around that rim.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Unless you’re an elite passer like Rodgers, I agree. Young, fast, athleticism is the way to go. Yet we got someone that is neither.

Just a joke all around. Maybe if we can convert the NFL into a circus show, we’d be number 1.
Rodgers is extremely crafty in the pocket and can get out of it in a hurry.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I have often said a QB needs to be able to beat you from the pocket to go deep in the playoffs. But yesterday was another example of how a running QB can break the back of defenses. THE MVP toyed with us. He could have gone for 200 himself had he chose to. The OP is correct, lacking elite passing skills it is quite helpful to have elite legs. It'll get you just as many regular season wins so you can hang around that rim.
The Ravens do hang around the rim.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Unless elite passer nearly impossible to win significant games in today’s nfl. Running by the qb is important. Can’t be slow and lumbering with mentality to not run. Only going to get worse as time goes on unfortunately for us.
:lmao::lmao::lmao: