Winning with non athletic qb

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I get it. I think my goal would be to have him score with his legs as the number one priority.

Remove risk of interception.

If play breaks down...at that point, try and find an open player in the end zone.

The above scenario seems to apply more stress on a defense to me.
I get what you’re saying but he’s shown he can’t throw or read a defense. Not sure what threat that is to a defense.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Unless elite passer nearly impossible to win significant games in today’s nfl. Running by the qb is important. Can’t be slow and lumbering with mentality to not run. Only going to get worse as time goes on unfortunately for us.
Trance still sucks.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Unless you’re an elite passer like Rodgers, I agree. Young, fast, athleticism is the way to go. Yet we got someone that is neither.

Just a joke all around. Maybe if we can convert the NFL into a circus show, we’d be number 1.
Yes, our defense is not the problem. :muttley:

Swagger

Reaction score
Those guys all have a quicker release than Dak. They all have/had a better deep ball. Dak is poor in many areas right now. He's doesn't elude sacks much at all anymore, is slow on the release, can't hit a deep ball, isn't an effective runner, and is poor at improvised plays when things break down.
Apart from that he's fine :lmao:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Unless elite passer nearly impossible to win significant games in today’s nfl. Running by the qb is important. Can’t be slow and lumbering with mentality to not run. Only going to get worse as time goes on unfortunately for us.
Carr? Darnold? everyone's darling Herbert? Lions?

none are elite passers. they are not exactly athletic..

and btw, Jackson is 2-4 in playoffs. only one loss behind the beloved Dak.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying but he’s shown he can’t throw or read a defense. Not sure what threat that is to a defense.
still feel like asking someone who cant read a defense with extremely good legs to go out in shotgun, find a hole or path to the goal line with his legs...and if that isnt there...find a receiver in the end zone...

i feel the above situation, over time, would win out more than timed passing plays. you just have more options.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Don't have to be able to run but you do have to have the ability to move in the pocket and good pocket precense. Dak was off on most every throw he made yesterday moving in the pocket. His short throws were atrocious yesterday!

shabazz

Reaction score
That's just not true:

Mahomes - can run but wants to throw first - really the only true dual threat QB in the NFL currently.
Stafford - a Statue
Brady - a Statue
Foles - a Statue
P. Manning - Statue
Wilson - was good at both at the time
Flacco - Statue
E. Manning - Statue

Those are the QB winners in the last 13 SB. Most are not very athletic and Brady and P. Manning are the only statues that I would consider elite level passers. Stafford - very good but inconsistent QB, Foles - great run as the QB but wasn't good prior or after that run, Flacco had an amazing playoff year but is a very meh QB- same for Eli.

Dak is more than Athletic enough to win games in the NFL, he can get out and move around and run on occassion. His athletic ability is not what is hurting this team,, his mental toughness on the other hand..
Some of those statues took less money so that they could KEEP great offensive lineman in front of them......Mahomes and Brady are two examples of smart guys that recognized that. And the money they left on the table was recouped through the sucess they gained from it via endorsements.

shabazz

Reaction score
Don't have to be able to run but you do have to have the ability to move in the pocket and good pocket precense. Dak was off on most every throw he made yesterday moving in the pocket. His short throws were atrocious yesterday!
The dinking and dunking is officially back. It's the most boring form of offense to watch and it's not even being sucessful.....6 points going into the 4th quarter to a defense that is no longer as good as it was in the past

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I get it. I think my goal would be to have him score with his legs as the number one priority.

Remove risk of interception.

If play breaks down...at that point, try and find an open player in the end zone.

The above scenario seems to apply more stress on a defense to me.
There is a ridiculous amount of QB talent coming through college right now.

Paying a QB 60 million is just bizarre.

The Vikings are playing Sam Darnold right now and they may have actually upgraded QBs for cheaper.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Some of those statues took less money so that they could KEEP great offensive lineman in front of them......Mahomes and Brady are two examples of smart guys that recognized that. And the money they left on the table was recouped through the sucess they gained from it via endorsements.
Those are not two good examples.

When Mahomes signed his contract it was the largest in American Sports History.

Brady - how many NFL QB's have a wife that makes more money then him?

KB1122

Reaction score
He's never been a speedster, but he used to be fast enough to be an effective runner. That part of his game is gone.

FanofJerry

Reaction score

The Vikings are playing Sam Darnold right now and they may have actually upgraded QBs for cheaper.
I dont get the money argument.

Unless your thinking is that these guys get paid so much now-a-days they should take less to field a better team.

Looks like around 20% of cap for a QB has been a thing in the NFL for almost 20 years. Granted...that has inched up to around 23.5% for the good ones and mediocre guys get 20% now.

But...that is business. Fielding a team with a terrible QB kills the money making side of your Organizations goals...while also kills the morale of the team and hurts the locker room. Football is violent and guys dont want to risk serious injury playing for crappy teams. Thus...Orgs will pay for mediocre QB play.

So...these teams ARE FORCED to pay 90% of the cap to players. They are the ones generating the money...not their fault they generate so much that the cap is now 255M. Should they cap the cap at 150M and give the rest to charity? Owners arent giving to charities. Why would you risk losing a mediocre QB to a rookie contract because you dont want to pay him market prices...so that you can pay another player, or maybe two, that arent needle movers. A mediocre QB is more of a needle mover(on the businesses side of things, making money) than diversifying higher pay amongst the team which doesnt needle move.

The Owners/GM's are in a tough sport here. They want to win...but money is a big factor too.

I think I am kind of over the 'rookie contract' debate. Its super obvious that the REAL GM's arent interested because the talent coming into the league isnt good enough to predict quality production...and that releasing a mediocre QB for a rookie could set the team back 3 or 4 years from their money goals.

I guess you could argue to go with a rookie QB and if he stinks, switch to a proven mediocre vet before losing the team and viewers. I just dont think there are that many mediocre vets that you can trust year in and year out. Which is why QB's are paid.

Hadenough

Reaction score
That's just not true:

Mahomes - can run but wants to throw first - really the only true dual threat QB in the NFL currently.
Stafford - a Statue
Brady - a Statue
Foles - a Statue
P. Manning - Statue
Wilson - was good at both at the time
Flacco - Statue
E. Manning - Statue

Those are the QB winners in the last 13 SB. Most are not very athletic and Brady and P. Manning are the only statues that I would consider elite level passers. Stafford - very good but inconsistent QB, Foles - great run as the QB but wasn't good prior or after that run, Flacco had an amazing playoff year but is a very meh QB- same for Eli.

Dak is more than Athletic enough to win games in the NFL, he can get out and move around and run on occassion. His athletic ability is not what is hurting this team,, his mental toughness on the other hand..
Most of those statue guys you mentioned have far more physical talent ability in throwing the football than Dak.

Hadenough

Reaction score

I've mentioned a couple times over the last few years to bring in Sam Darnold to compete. People laughed and said he couldn't replace Dak.

Bagman

Reaction score
You can win with Dak.

You can’t pay Dak and build a championship roster.

That’s always been the problem.
I agree with you 99.9999%. You can't afford to buy better players if you're allocating that much $$ to the QB. The other .0001% of me says if Dak only made $1 million instead of $60 million a year, the Jones would find a way to screw up spending the other $59 million.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
still feel like asking someone who cant read a defense with extremely good legs to go out in shotgun, find a hole or path to the goal line with his legs...and if that isnt there...find a receiver in the end zone...

i feel the above situation, over time, would win out more than timed passing plays. you just have more options.
Find a hole where? There aren’t any lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree with you 99.9999%. You can't afford to buy better players if you're allocating that much $$ to the QB. The other .0001% of me says if Dak only made $1 million instead of $60 million a year, the Jones would find a way to screw up spending the other $59 million.
The solution isn’t to buy better players. The solution is to stop spending 2nd rounders on tight ends.