Winning with non athletic qb

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That must be Dak's fault some how.

Maybe if your run game has a zero threat to the defense, it some how makes the defenses job easier to cover receivers and get after the QB.

Just a theory.
Not sure mikes scheme is going to work

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Unless you’re an elite passer like Rodgers, I agree. Young, fast, athleticism is the way to go. Yet we got someone that is neither.

Just a joke all around. Maybe if we can convert the NFL into a circus show, we’d be number 1.
#Lance

DFWJC

Reaction score
That's just not true:

Mahomes - can run but wants to throw first - really the only true dual threat QB in the NFL currently.
Stafford - a Statue
Brady - a Statue
Foles - a Statue
P. Manning - Statue
Wilson - was good at both at the time
Flacco - Statue
E. Manning - Statue

Those are the QB winners in the last 13 SB. Most are not very athletic and Brady and P. Manning are the only statues that I would consider elite level passers. Stafford - very good but inconsistent QB, Foles - great run as the QB but wasn't good prior or after that run, Flacco had an amazing playoff year but is a very meh QB- same for Eli.

Dak is more than Athletic enough to win games in the NFL, he can get out and move around and run on occassion. His athletic ability is not what is hurting this team,, his mental toughness on the other hand..
You don’t think Josh Allen is a duel threat QB?

Hes even more duel threat than Mahomes

Chasing6

Reaction score
Unless elite passer nearly impossible to win significant games in today’s nfl. Running by the qb is important. Can’t be slow and lumbering with mentality to not run. Only going to get worse as time goes on unfortunately for us.
Does is feel better losing with athletic wannabe QB's.

HMJYay

Reaction score
I've mentioned a couple times over the last few years to bring in Sam Darnold to compete. People laughed and said he couldn't replace Dak.
I’ve thought the same. Heck even guys like Gardner Minshew. Just some darn competition. Baker Mayfield, Malik Willis. There are multiple QBs who could yield close to the same result and cost 1/10th to 20% of what Dak costs. It’s mind boggling Jerry paid him what he did.

HMJYay

Reaction score
There has always been this fallacy that Dak is mobile. Dak is big and strong in a straight line. But, since his injury he hasn’t done that.

He doesn’t have good pocket presence. He gets happy feet and want to leave the pocket right away. Even slow guys with good pocket presence know when to take the step to the left or the right and buy themselves that extra second. Dak bails. He’s never had good pocket presence. Second, Dak is slow slow from a quickness point of view. He had no fast twitch. His feet are slow and his release his average to slow. Couple this with not reading well beyond his first read and you get a QB who when the defense isn’t getting multiple TO’s or he needs to do extra carry the team and he consistently shows he can’t get it done.

Surfguy

Reaction score
Mobile QBs are the way to go in the modern NFL. If it's not there, then take off eh. And, have the speed to call some QB running plays on the edges like we get burned on. The idea that you can stand back in the pocket and pick teams apart...that's becoming obsolete. And, you better have a dang good offensive line if you plan to do that...which the Cowboys clearly don't have. And, the receivers better get open...which seems to be a problem for anyone not named Cee Dee. Dak is like a dang pinball back there on most plays...trying to dodge moving bumpers. We see the results of that. Then, when all hope is lost, he tries to run and it's too late and he's too slow. I'm sick of watching that same scenario unfold time and time again. It's not fun to watch.

snadler

Reaction score
To Dak’s defense, he basically came back from some would describe as a career ending injury, which has slowed him down tremendously, what’s odd for me was last season he looked quicker and more mobile, i do remember at the beginning of camp he had a boot on his foot, wonder if he’s still not 100%, because if he is and is this slow that is definitely a problem moving forward, qb’s don’t need to rush for 50 yards but they at least need to be a threat if the pocket breaks down