Winslow Out for 2005 Season

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
5mics said:
It's your opinion BUT my opinion on your opinion? Totally asinine. To blame an entire program based on the action of one former player? Asinine.
The original poster was exactly right. Univ. of Miami specializes in finding punks--& then encourages them to stay that way. Remember the team walking out of their PC when they were playing against Penn State for the national championship? (When Vinny Testaverde, ironically, was the QB.) Arrogant, pompous, egotistical, braggarts, thug posers--& then so many of them end up being underachievers in the NFL. (Jeremy Shockey anyone? Sean Taylor already?) Why? The character issue. (How many Miami players did Dallas draft this year? Or the Pats? Cough.) Kellen is just another in a long line of them. I do hope the kid gets some humility & manages to make something of his life. Maybe this will help him grow as a human being.

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
The original poster was exactly right. Univ. of Miami specializes in finding punks--& then encourages them to stay that way. Remember the team walking out of their PC when they were playing against Penn State for the national championship? (When Vinny Testaverde, ironically, was the QB.) Arrogant, pompous, egotistical, braggarts, thug posers--& then so many of them end up being underachievers in the NFL. (Jeremy Shockey anyone? Sean Taylor already?) Why? The character issue. (How many Miami players did Dallas draft this year? Or the Pats? Cough.) Kellen is just another in a long line of them. I do hope the kid gets some humility & manages to make something of his life. Maybe this will help him grow as a human being.

If this is the end of his NFL career, I'm sure he has a very solid degree from UM to fall back on.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
And them showing up for the bowl game in cammo uni's

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Hey wasn't Jimmy Johnson the Hurricanes couch during this Cammo thing ?

I think he was, but I still luvs Jimmy

kmd24

Reaction score
trickblue said:
here is a quip from another board...

I spent a recent weekend in Cleveland and I have a very reliable source that is medically based and at one time was place in the ICU unit that treated winslow.

Here is the report he gave me:

A plateau fracture with multiple ligaments damaged (ACL, Patella, MCL, PCL).

Prognosis: Lets just say -- Mr. Winslow might never see an NFL field again.

I am no medical expert by any means... some of you here are... isn't a plateau fracture very serious business?

I'm not an orthopaedic surgeon, but I do know that a plateau fracture with ligament damage is a very serious injury. If this is true, he may have complications with the union and possible ligament instability down the road. His youth and athleticism are in his favor wrt to the healing process.

Some info and x-rays from Duke

dewey

Reaction score
I've never been a Winslow fan, but I remember being a 21 year old kid. You never think it'll happen to you, you have this misplaced belief that you are invincible. He got the bike, contract or no contract, because he didn't think "anything will happen". Dumb move, without a doubt. If this is ultimately career ending, it's kind of too bad, maybe he would have lived up to the hype or not, it would have been interesting to watch.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Browns lose Winslow for '05 season

Thursday, May 19, 2005 Tony Grossi

Plain Dealer Reporter
Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. will need reconstructive surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee as a result of his motorcycle accident and will miss the entire 2005 season, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The Browns and the Winslow family learned the extent of damage to the knee on Wednesday, but neither the team nor the family would comment.

The source said the result of a magnetic resonance imaging test on the knee performed on Tuesday showed "what everyone feared."

Only the ACL -- the major ligament of four in the knee -- was torn.

Players generally need 10 to 12 months to rehabilitate from major ACL surgery. Safety Sean Jones had ACL surgery in June and missed the entire 2004 season.

Winslow is expected to have an independent exam done on the knee for a second opinion. Surgery could be scheduled within a month.

After consultation with Kellen Winslow Sr., the Browns issued only the following statement: "The Winslow family has not authorized us to release any information on Kellen's condition."

Winslow injured his right knee when he flipped over the handlebars of his high-powered motorcycle in a secluded parking lot on May 1.

Winslow also suffered undisclosed internal injuries and swelling in his right shoulder in the spill, but the Browns identified the knee as the major area of concern.

Severe swelling in the knee prevented doctors from doing a thorough examination of the knee until 16 days after the accident.

Technically, the Browns do not have to disclose the extent of Winslow's injuries until he fails a physical administered by the club or is put on an injury list because they were not football-related.

The Browns may elect to recoup between $5.7 million and $10.7 million from Winslow for being in breach of his contract, which expressly prohibited him from participating in "hazardous activities," such as "motorcycling."

The Browns gave up their second-round draft pick in a trade with Detroit to select Winslow with the sixth overall pick of the 2004 draft. He agreed to a six-year contract for a maximum of $40 million after missing 12 days of training camp.

Winslow's rookie season ended after two weeks when he suffered a fractured right fibula and torn ankle ligaments in his second game. He had two surgeries to repair the damage. The lost time cost Winslow more than $10 million when he failed to reach playing incentives that had to be met in his first season.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1116495321202420.xml&coll=2

Duane

Reaction score
I know he's young and cocky but I don't get wishing an end to his career. Hopefully he'll gain some maturity from this whole ordeal and become a better person.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I am not usually one to make excuses for people but you guys are harder on this guy than you are on guys who use drugs, steroids or have legal problems. You harass the kid for wanting to ride a motorcycle, give me a break - I understand that it was in his contract that he could not do that, but if he knew about that clause, which I am sure he did, it is his right to make a personal decision if he wants to take a risk and ride a motorcycle.

He is not a criminal for doing so and it does not make him a bad person for doing so, just makes him immature - which all of us were at age 21.

I hope he recovers fully and has a good NFL career and maybe learns a few lessons in the process, but you guys are just a little overboard!!

Tricky-22

Git R Done
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
I am not usually one to make excuses for people but you guys are harder on this guy than you are on guys who use drugs, steroids or have legal problems. You harass the kid for wanting to ride a motorcycle, give me a break - I understand that it was in his contract that he could not do that, but if he knew about that clause, which I am sure he did, it is his right to make a personal decision if he wants to take a risk and ride a motorcycle.

He is not a criminal for doing so and it does not make him a bad person for doing so, just makes him immature - which all of us were at age 21.

I hope he recovers fully and has a good NFL career and maybe learns a few lessons in the process, but you guys are just a little overboard!!

No, that doesn't make him a bad person. But the soldja, "I'm the chosen one", comments and a few other incidents at U of M have to raise questions.
Plus, he has the same agents that all of the other thugs in the NFL have.(Postons)

That said, I hope that he can turn his life around and not become another TO or Moss.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Tricky-22 said:
No, that doesn't make him a bad person. But the soldja, "I'm the chosen one", comments and a few other incidents at U of M have to raise questions.
Plus, he has the same agents that all of the other thugs in the NFL have.(Postons)

That said, I hope that he can turn his life around and not become another TO or Moss.

Thats what happens to these kids when they are treated like royalty ever since they put on a football or BB uniform. Everyone treats them like a king so eventually they think they are one!

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Man I had 3 motorcycle accidents in college and only have a 4 inch scar on my fore arm as proof. His accident sounds gruesome! :( What the hell happened? Over the handle bars - his knee probably clipped the ferring or handle bars pretty hard - then smashed into some trees and dirt?

Very unlucky. Cleveland gets no breaks. Ohio in general gets no breaks.

lkelly

Reaction score
I wonder if the news had indicated that Winslow was paralyzed or even dead - would everyone be laughing and making jokes about it?

Or what if he'd gotten on a horse and ended up like Christopher Reeve? Would that have been much different?

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
Winslow needs to grow up and be responsible. He has let not only his teammates down, but the Browns organization, the fans in Cleveland, and those who follow his career. It makes you wonder about teams such as the 'Boys and others who pass on certain players in the draft. I can definitely see a team owner and his worries that his organization might draft a head case. Think about the Chargers: Ryan Leaf and possibly now Merriman. Scary.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Duane said:
I know he's young and cocky but I don't get wishing an end to his career. Hopefully he'll gain some maturity from this whole ordeal and become a better person.

Well put Duane... classy statement. As much as we love the Cowboys on this forum, it's still nice to see some respect for the players who play the sport period, even though we don't believe some are worthy of that respect. By the time they are retired or no longer in the league, their bodies are usually trashed. We don't always know how the players feel or respond to situations, because we have never been cast in that kind of light. Once their career begins, that light changes that person's life in a way most of us can't even begin to imagine. Showing respect is just cool. I guess that's what makes Cowboy fans second to none.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
DanTanna said:
Man I had 3 motorcycle accidents in college and only have a 4 inch scar on my fore arm as proof. His accident sounds gruesome! :( What the hell happened? Over the handle bars - his knee probably clipped the ferring or handle bars pretty hard - then smashed into some trees and dirt?

The report I read was he hit a curb going 35 mph and flipped over the handlebars and hit a small tree.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
DanTanna said:

I have heard that his wreck threw him about 35 feet too. That's gotta hurt.
:banghead:

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
it is his right to make a personal decision if he wants to take a risk and ride a motorcycle.

Like my daddy always used to say, "What's the use of being stupid if you can't show it now and then?"