With McCarthy, Trey Lance could be great

leeblair

Reaction score
Lance showed he can be very good, and maybe even great.
He looked like a first round pick in last night's game.
And with Mike McCarthy he can develop In Mike's system and be disciplined and mature into the next great Cowboys quarterback. Tony Romo had the unfortunate experience of basically not having a head coach after Parcells left and he self destructed; Dak came in under the same incompetent administration of Jason Garrett and was taught no accountability. But Mike McCarthy is a real head coach.
Now the pieces could all be in place, should the Cowboys recognize that they finally have found the quarterback they need to take the next step.
Over the past sixteen years the Cowboys had a quarterback with no coach, then they had a coach with no quarterback.
Now they finally have a chance toʻ have both in place.
Let's hope they take advantage of it.

Last edited:

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
You know...maybe not great, but he's got some talent. The main thing is not to throw him to the wolves. Parcells said this when the Hutchinson/Carter/Henson debate was going on. He made an off-hand comment that "he had someone" - that someone was Romo - but you "just can't throw the QB to the wolves. I've seen a lot of great talent that you would call "busts" ruined prematurely because they were thrown to the wolves and had their confidence ruined." Kudos to Dak for being a rookie and not being shaken (fully), but most need time to develop...just like Romo. And while you can't just beat up on QBs like you used to, it does time to develop a young QB.

For example, SF seems to not have developed Lance the player so much as tried to get him to run their system. So his footwork and other aspects of QBing were not emphasized as much as in a West Coast/timing-based offense where your footwork determines accuracy, ball placement, velocity, etc...for most QBs. MM wants to see what happens if they ask Lance to develop the skillset he needs ...not just run a specific Shanahan system. I am skeptical at this stage, but either way, we just can't throw him to the wolves. He's had so little gametime and by SF asking him to win big games...they were throwing him to the wolves. Purdy had 50 games under his belt leaving college...Trey Lance I believe has yet to play 50 games EVER.

Nav22

Reaction score
Reminds me of Dak's early years..
Dak won Offensive Rookie of the Year, and won his first playoff game by year 3.

Trey Lance got beat out by Sam Darnold for a backup spot in year 3, so he got upset and forced the team that traded the farm to draft him #3 overall to deal him to a rival for a 4th-round pick.

The similarities are almost eerie!!!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would love nothing more than for Lance to be a hall of fame level QB.

But let’s be honest. He was mid last night.

An improvement from the prior game to be sure. But he was mid.
Yeah he seems like a good guy so easy to root for he just keeps his head down and work. So I respect him. But yeah to me this is what we should’ve saw last week.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Reminds me of Dak's early years..
Honestly, Dak’s first pre season in his rookie season, he was light years better than Lance has been so far.

All I’m saying is. I haven’t seen anything from Lance that impresses me yet.

He is a very good athlete. But his timing is poor, his accuracy is poor. He just isn’t anywhere near where he would need to be yet.

If I had to choose between Lance or use a first round pick on a QB. I’m using the pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And with Mike McCarthy he can develop In Mike's system and be disciplined and mature into the next great Cowboys quarterback. Tony Romo had the unfortunate experience of basically not having a head coach after Parcells left and he self destructed; Dak came in under the same incompetent administration of Jason Garrett and was taught no accountability. But Mike McCarthy is a real head coach.
Now the pieces could all be in place, should the Cowboys recognize that they finally have found the quarterback they need to take the next step.
Over the past sixteen years the Cowboys had a quarterback with no coach, then they had a coach with no quarterback.
:rolleyes:

stiletto

Reaction score
You know...maybe not great, but he's got some talent. The main thing is not to throw him to the wolves. Parcells said this when the Hutchinson/Carter/Henson debate was going on. He made an off-hand comment that "he had someone" - that someone was Romo - but you "just can't throw the QB to the wolves. I've seen a lot of great talent that you would call "busts" ruined prematurely because they were thrown to the wolves and had their confidence ruined." Kudos to Dak for being a rookie and not being shaken (fully), but most need time to develop...just like Romo. And while you can't just beat up on QBs like you used to, it does time to develop a young QB.

For example, SF seems to not have developed Lance the player so much as tried to get him to run their system. So his footwork and other aspects of QBing were not emphasized as much as in a West Coast/timing-based offense where your footwork determines accuracy, ball placement, velocity, etc...for most QBs. MM wants to see what happens if they ask Lance to develop the skillset he needs ...not just run a specific Shanahan system. I am skeptical at this stage, but either way, we just can't throw him to the wolves. He's had so little gametime and by SF asking him to win big games...they were throwing him to the wolves. Purdy had 50 games under his belt leaving college...Trey Lance I believe has yet to play 50 games EVER.
I just wanted to see some improvement this game to even bother with trying to develop him. The best thing Lance has going for him is he is 24. It's good for all of us if Lance can develop into a good QB. He's not there yet and his accuracy gives me Quincy nightmares but I am willing to give him some time. The contract thing might keep them from keeping him in that role. Not sure.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
This is HC Kyle Shanahan, what the heck are you smoking.............LOL!

fivetwos

Reaction score

Agree, and many QBs who could have benefited from sitting for a year or two just don’t get the time to do that due to money/cap.

It creates the QB supply problem that results in a worse overall product and the league really needs to take a long look at some sort of fix, but Roger is too busy trying to grab money from foreign countries so he can keep his job.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
It would be nice to see how far Lance can progress. What's the plan though? He's not under contract after this season.

It's mind boggling to imagine re-signing Dak, yet the recent comments in the press seem to indicate it will be done. Any chance of signing Lance plummets.

Lance needs coaching and reps. If Dallas re-signs Dak, I doubt it will only be for a couple of seasons. Lance would have no future here, yet stability is what he needs.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak won Offensive Rookie of the Year, and won his first playoff game by year 3.

Trey Lance got beat out by Sam Darnold for a backup spot in year 3, so he got upset and forced the team that traded the farm to draft him #3 overall to deal him to a rival for a 4th-round pick.

The similarities are almost eerie!!!
Hey, Einstein Dak played with an HOF offline, a Rookie Zeke, Dez, and Witten, whos Lance playing with?
Man, you STANS are a unique breed.............jeez.
The Kid just might be the real deal only more playing time esp with the # 1 team will tell us the tale on him
Dak we know is a FAILURE a stat bandito who couldn't beat a team with a pulse if his life depended on it!!!

johneric8

Reaction score
I'm gonna nut roll here for a second.. The Cowboys have uncanny luck for finding guys like Romo, Dak, ETC... We've been very hard on Trey and for good reason but we've also been dismissive as well considering his injuries with the 9ers and the amount of prep time that he got.. He honestly did look like a 1st round pick last night and a rookie who showed flashes of greatness.. It's not that he did incredible things last night but he did show some very good instincts and quick to make decisions... I said this in another thread but I think people forget that Trey has a much stronger arm than Dak and still developing... Just maybe, he is a diamond in the rough, we can only dream.. Right now though I still say I would roll with Trey over Rush.. Sure Rush is steady, but Lance will cause more fear because of his skill set if he can keep putting it together..

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Honestly, Dak’s first pre season in his rookie season, he was light years better than Lance has been so far.

All I’m saying is. I haven’t seen anything from Lance that impresses me yet.

He is a very good athlete. But his timing is poor, his accuracy is poor. He just isn’t anywhere near where he would need to be yet.

If I had to choose between Lance or use a first round pick on a QB. I’m using the pick.
You guys are inflating Dak's impact. He was very inaccurate his first few seasons, he could not get in sync with Dez, or any of the other receivers for that matter, who all seemed to thrive with Romo under center. The success of that team was built on the offensive line, and the running game. He seldom threw picks because he seldom threw past 10 yrds.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Dak was never this. He commanded the field and was confident. He played like a veteran. Lance is the opposite.

Commanded the field when, after he handed it off? Dak was exactly "this". Dak was extremely inaccurate his first few years, but it didn't matter because the running game was the offense's strength. He was never ask to make plays down field. So please stop with the Dak was better narrative, he was just as raw, and just as inconsistent as Lance.