CFZ With Quinn back, what is needed to complete the defense rebuild

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Did have 11 sacks this year and 7.5 the year prior.
He is more of a 3 tech. I would call Carolina and see if they would trade Brown for our 1st or the Colts to see if they would trade Buckner. I think one of those teams would bite. Have to be more aggressive in getting that hole filled. Hankins is placeholder (JAG) to me. It’s embarrassing that he was probably our best defensive tackle.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I dont care about what round it is. First round. Get the DT out of Baylor. Period. This team needs a guy like that. Plus I love the fact that he really turned it on when it mattered in the championship game.
If Gibbs/Hooker/one of the best remaining corners slides into the second. Take one of them there.
I agree, if he's there, has to be the pick. Corner is the 1st 3 rounds is a must as well. Hoping they address WR in fa or trade market.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He is more of a 3 tech. I would call Carolina and see if they would trade Brown for our 1st or the Colts to see if they would trade Buckner. I think one of those teams would bite. Have to be more aggressive in getting that hole filled. Hankins is placeholder (JAG) to me. It’s embarrassing that he was probably our best defensive tackle.
We need both spots, Hargrave with Osa would be a nice rotation. All for keeping Hankins as a bridge starter, but would like to add more help via the draft.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DT- easier to sign a vet than draft a decent one. I want 2 run stuffing guys who can bull rush/strong. no more finess guys who can rush the qb if they do a lot of stunts. Were not drafting high enough to get a guy who does both really well.
CB- we always need more talent here.
LB- they need a MLB bad maybe 2
DE- can't have enough pass rushers
SS- re-sign wilson or draft a replacement

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Either way, no matter who thinks what, there are once again more needs and holes than a draft can be expected to fix.

They need to realize that, and that their QB is being used incorrectly.

Nothing else matters if each of those two things don’t happen. Not one…both.
Haven't discussed the offense yet, but you are right, they cannot fill everything through the draft, have to use fa and the trade market to roster build.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Defense once again led the league in turnovers, which doesn't usually happen. They were very good against the pass, until Anthony Brown went down for the season. However, their run defense was extremely suspect and inconsistent. The addition of Hankins helped, but this is still a huge area of need. What are the final pieces to finish this defensive rebuild?

-Look at the Eagles, 49ers and inside our division, every team has a former 1st rd pick at the DT position, the Cowboys have none. DT remains the #1 need for this defense at both positions, the 1 and the 3. Hankins needs to be resigned, but depth behind him needs to be added, the Cowboys have been searching for that legit 3 it seems like 20 years since Glover started for them. Hill, Gallimore, Collins never materialize, jury is still out on Osa, who has flashed some in his first two seasons. I believe this defense needs to add a star inside for the defense to take that next, final step. Believe we are fine at DE, perhaps they bring back Fowler.

-In my opinion, Lve was a different player when Hankins protected him up front. We all know, he isn't good at taking on blocks and is more of a run and hit backer. He also holds his own in pass coverage and lines up the entire defense. With Quinn back, I expect Lve to be extended. Clark will now have a full offseason and should improve in his 2nd season. Barr most likely won't be back and we do have one of our prospects still in the pipeline in Devin Harper. Adding more depth via the draft would make sense.

-As for the secondary, Diggs has his moments of playing over aggressive, not physical enough in the run game, but was an improved player. Brown went down with a major, season ending injury, but was struggling before that. Quinn was forced to move our backup, slot corner bland to the outside cause our two former top 100 picks, could hold up in Joseph, Wright. Lewis just like Brown, had the same major, season ending injury. Muku stepped in at the slot late in the season and did a great job.

-Think the team is going to move on from both Brown/Lewis as they may never been the same players after that type of injury. In my opinion, will be hunting for another starting corner in the draft and perhaps maybe bring in another veteran bridge type player. Depth also has to be address if Joseph/Wright aren't the answer. #2 Priority.

-Safety looks like in pretty good shape outside of Wilson being a fa. Both Kearse/Hooker still have a year left on their contracts. They also have a few younger prospects, like Muku, Bell, Coyle. Many are wondering about Cox, believe Quinn see him in that Kearse role. Believe this is more of a 2024 need area. Biggest question is, will Wilson be back?

This defense isn't that far off at all. Fix the DT and CB positions and they could potentially be as good as anyone.
Run stuffing DT.
I would not mind seeing Hankins back.
What say you ?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think we should attempt to find a really good corner on the outside opposite of Diggs. We have some younger guys that can learn and fill. Bland at slot seems good.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We need both spots, Hargrave with Osa would be a nice rotation. All for keeping Hankins as a bridge starter, but would like to add more help via the draft.
Can’t afford both. The way the Joneses are with money, we probably can’t pay either. I need to get out of fantasy world. We gonna use every draft pick and dumpster dive in free agency. We just have to hope Gholston and Bohanna pop next season.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I was impressed how the defense performed in the Playoffs, and when it was clutch time who was on the field and where is noteworthy.

NT is a need, but re-signing Hankins would be enough for me provided Big Bo can improve as the backup.

LB - Micah was at MLB in the clutch, play him there next season. It's hard to run on Hank n Micah. LVE is ok to re-sign as long as he's WILB, I don't like him in the middle. However, guys like Harper, Cox n Clark provide speed beside #11.

CBs - Have lots of depth, but the draft has serious depth also. I'd draft a CB early in preparation for Diggs contract negotiations. I keep Jourdan Lewis for depth and move Mukuamu to CB.

Ss - So much depth, their fine here.

DEs - Just like the Ss, their fine.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Interior d line and linebacker improvement.
You beat me to it. The interior. DTs, ILBs, and S.

Get that from inconsistent to good and we can really protect an offense when it struggles to get the ground game going

conner01

Reaction score
Some of what people want is extremely hard to get in the top 10 let alone at 26
A stud DT who can impact the run and passing game is really tough to get
We need one but we need other positions too, and some of those are gonna have more talented option at 26

visionary

Reaction score
#1: 1T DT: sign Payne in FA. Tomlinson back up plan. Resign Hankins

#2: CB: cannot built a great physical defense with tissue paper (Diggs) and no way can we pay him 20+ million which he will hold out for next year. This draft is deep at CB. Sign a vet CB in FA. Trade Diggs for rd 1 pick and take a CB in rd 1. Would pick another in rds 2-4 depending on value.

#3: safety: Sign Wilson if possible but move on if he asks for too much . We have good players there.

#4: MLB: take a hitter with speed in rds 3-5

In my scenario this still leaves us with several early picks to take OG, speed WR, RB

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Need one of the young LBs out of Clark/Cox to really step it up.
Need to figure out CB rotation and get to 5 CB. Wright can be 5.
Need to resign Hankins or get another run stuffer. --hard to draft those guys that are ready day 1 outside the top 20.
Resign Donovan Wilson. Get Jayron Kearse healthy.

FA: NT like Hankins.
CB of some sort that can start given the misses in draft and injuries.
LB: LVE or another starter quality guy.
S: Keep Wilson

Draft best available player every pick

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
TWO corners, how so ? we have youth and talent there, so ONE, yes a first rounder or a solid Vet FA and let go of Lewis and brown,
Because Joseph isn't long for this team, Goodwin is nothing more than a special teams player and Wright hasn't made strides.......We need two corners