CFZ With Quinn back, what is needed to complete the defense rebuild

Cowboyny

Reaction score
27 is a good spot to get a top safety or trade. You can grab good DL LB,s in 2-4 consistently. Well some teams can. Whatever reason Dallas draft track record on the DL is not good.

I would add RB to a pick in the 2-4 rounds also.
It's also a prime area to land a starting corner.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If we can keep LVE and the safeties around…

- DT
- CB2

Honestly feel like the defense is already really good. A good DT and solid CB2 could get us close to elite.
They have to solve their run defense, get more inside pressure and add a outside corner who elite speed. Addressing the defensive side is doable, but think we are going to see an offensive heavy offseason.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Daron “House of” Payne, the draft is such a crap shoot especially picking at 26. I would take the best middle linebacker prospect at that pick. If we improve the front seven cornerback should be ok.
He is probably a pipe dream, but about about Hargrove from Philly?

Ken

Reaction score
Not gonna lie. When we lost Dak. I was hoping we would tank for Jalen Carter. Guy is going to be a force for years to come.

Or tank for one of the top QBs lol.
Jalen Carter is who the Eagles fan's(and a lot on here) thought Jordan Davis was lol.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Defense once again led the league in turnovers, which doesn't usually happen. They were very good against the pass, until Anthony Brown went down for the season. However, their run defense was extremely suspect and inconsistent. The addition of Hankins helped, but this is still a huge area of need. What are the final pieces to finish this defensive rebuild?

-Look at the Eagles, 49ers and inside our division, every team has a former 1st rd pick at the DT position, the Cowboys have none. DT remains the #1 need for this defense at both positions, the 1 and the 3. Hankins needs to be resigned, but depth behind him needs to be added, the Cowboys have been searching for that legit 3 it seems like 20 years since Glover started for them. Hill, Gallimore, Collins never materialize, jury is still out on Osa, who has flashed some in his first two seasons. I believe this defense needs to add a star inside for the defense to take that next, final step. Believe we are fine at DE, perhaps they bring back Fowler.

-In my opinion, Lve was a different player when Hankins protected him up front. We all know, he isn't good at taking on blocks and is more of a run and hit backer. He also holds his own in pass coverage and lines up the entire defense. With Quinn back, I expect Lve to be extended. Clark will now have a full offseason and should improve in his 2nd season. Barr most likely won't be back and we do have one of our prospects still in the pipeline in Devin Harper. Adding more depth via the draft would make sense.

-As for the secondary, Diggs has his moments of playing over aggressive, not physical enough in the run game, but was an improved player. Brown went down with a major, season ending injury, but was struggling before that. Quinn was forced to move our backup, slot corner bland to the outside cause our two former top 100 picks, could hold up in Joseph, Wright. Lewis just like Brown, had the same major, season ending injury. Muku stepped in at the slot late in the season and did a great job.

-Think the team is going to move on from both Brown/Lewis as they may never been the same players after that type of injury. In my opinion, will be hunting for another starting corner in the draft and perhaps maybe bring in another veteran bridge type player. Depth also has to be address if Joseph/Wright aren't the answer. #2 Priority.

-Safety looks like in pretty good shape outside of Wilson being a fa. Both Kearse/Hooker still have a year left on their contracts. They also have a few younger prospects, like Muku, Bell, Coyle. Many are wondering about Cox, believe Quinn see him in that Kearse role. Believe this is more of a 2024 need area. Biggest question is, will Wilson be back?

This defense isn't that far off at all. Fix the DT and CB positions and they could potentially be as good as anyone.
Our Defense for the past 2 seasons has been a Superbowl-caliber defense.
Shame Micah can't play QB.
If any of you have Ravens 2000 dreams forget about it as our Cap status voids this silly dream.
Remember folks the team that scores the most points WINS!!!!!!

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can never have enough beast DT’s, need another top tier corner, Can use another side line to sideline LB and another pass rusher would be a bonus.

RS12

Reaction score
Scouts don’t even need to leave Texas to find 1

He might be there at 26 but I will be shocked if they don't take offense skill at that spot. Unless someone with a first round grade falls a long way.

Aven8

Reaction score
Maybe an emphasis on D in the next draft was part of the "offer" to retain Quinn.
Yes, very optimistic thinking, but who knows?
With no offensive skill players??

fivetwos

Reaction score
They have to solve their run defense, get more inside pressure and add a outside corner who elite speed. Addressing the defensive side is doable, but think we are going to see an offensive heavy offseason.
Either way, no matter who thinks what, there are once again more needs and holes than a draft can be expected to fix.

They need to realize that, and that their QB is being used incorrectly.

Nothing else matters if each of those two things don’t happen. Not one…both.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Defense once again led the league in turnovers, which doesn't usually happen. They were very good against the pass, until Anthony Brown went down for the season. However, their run defense was extremely suspect and inconsistent. The addition of Hankins helped, but this is still a huge area of need. What are the final pieces to finish this defensive rebuild?

-Look at the Eagles, 49ers and inside our division, every team has a former 1st rd pick at the DT position, the Cowboys have none. DT remains the #1 need for this defense at both positions, the 1 and the 3. Hankins needs to be resigned, but depth behind him needs to be added, the Cowboys have been searching for that legit 3 it seems like 20 years since Glover started for them. Hill, Gallimore, Collins never materialize, jury is still out on Osa, who has flashed some in his first two seasons. I believe this defense needs to add a star inside for the defense to take that next, final step. Believe we are fine at DE, perhaps they bring back Fowler.

-In my opinion, Lve was a different player when Hankins protected him up front. We all know, he isn't good at taking on blocks and is more of a run and hit backer. He also holds his own in pass coverage and lines up the entire defense. With Quinn back, I expect Lve to be extended. Clark will now have a full offseason and should improve in his 2nd season. Barr most likely won't be back and we do have one of our prospects still in the pipeline in Devin Harper. Adding more depth via the draft would make sense.

-As for the secondary, Diggs has his moments of playing over aggressive, not physical enough in the run game, but was an improved player. Brown went down with a major, season ending injury, but was struggling before that. Quinn was forced to move our backup, slot corner bland to the outside cause our two former top 100 picks, could hold up in Joseph, Wright. Lewis just like Brown, had the same major, season ending injury. Muku stepped in at the slot late in the season and did a great job.

-Think the team is going to move on from both Brown/Lewis as they may never been the same players after that type of injury. In my opinion, will be hunting for another starting corner in the draft and perhaps maybe bring in another veteran bridge type player. Depth also has to be address if Joseph/Wright aren't the answer. #2 Priority.

-Safety looks like in pretty good shape outside of Wilson being a fa. Both Kearse/Hooker still have a year left on their contracts. They also have a few younger prospects, like Muku, Bell, Coyle. Many are wondering about Cox, believe Quinn see him in that Kearse role. Believe this is more of a 2024 need area. Biggest question is, will Wilson be back?

This defense isn't that far off at all. Fix the DT and CB positions and they could potentially be as good as anyone.
I dont care about what round it is. First round. Get the DT out of Baylor. Period. This team needs a guy like that. Plus I love the fact that he really turned it on when it mattered in the championship game.
If Gibbs/Hooker/one of the best remaining corners slides into the second. Take one of them there.

Creeper

Reaction score
Every team in the NFCE has TWO former first round picks at DT. Washington has Payne and Allen. The Eagles have Cox and Jordan Davis. The Giants have Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence. The Eagles and Giants have the most DT selections in the first two rounds of the draft since 2000. They have 6, along with the Patriots and Lions. The Cowboys have not used a 1st round pick on a DT since 1991 when they drafted Russell Maryland. Yeah, I know about Marcus Spears but he was a DE who moved inside on certain downs. I am talking about a legit DT to play inside on early downs.

The Cowboys clearly need help at DT in the off season. They cut Hill and Watkins and Hankins are free agents. They are down to Gallimore, Bohanna, Odighizuwa, and I guess Golston. But Gallimore, Bohanna and Golston have been inactive for games in 2022 which means they are nothing special. Gallimore was awful, and a huge disappointment this year. Regardless, they need to so something to fortify the position. Watkins was a positive surprise this year. He is still a jag but he plays hard and is not as bad as Gallimore. I'd see if Hankins wants to play another year. And I might see what it would take to sign Dalvin Tomlinson who is a free agent as well. I don't think they can solve the problem in the draft, not where they are drafting and I am not sure this is a good year for DTs. If they are going to sign any free agents I think it has to be at DT.

I think they have to sign LVE. But they should not re-sign Barr. Is LVE Fred Warner? No. But no one in the NFL is. Warner is a legend in my book. But LVE is good enough. I know some pundits are saying we should draft Jack Campbell from Iowa. He looks like another LVE who hits harder to me. But I think Dallas will have to move up in te 2nd round to get him so I think LVE is the safe bet. The problem is money. How much will he want and how much will other teams offer him?

I think they should draft a CB, probably in the 1st round if one comes to them. I keep hoping Kelvin Joseph matures and starts to take football more seriously, but I am also hoping I win Powerball. I wouldn't take that risk. If a top CB is there at 26, I would go ahead and take him. I don't know what kind of physical condition Brown will be in but we can't take the chance with his injury. Given he is injured there will be no rush to make him an offer.

Donovan Wilson is one of the few bangers the Cowboys have on defense. He is excellent in run support, so-so in pass defense. I like Mukuamu from what I have seen of him. I also like Tyler Coyle, who is a speedy guy. Hooker has been really steady. But none of those guys are bangers. Wilson brings physicality to the defense. I want to re-sign him but I am going to bet he will me more expensive than the Cowboys will be willing to pay. If he leaves we need to find another physical player on defense.

And don't look now but Dante Fowlers is a FA so they may need help at DE too. They have Lawrence, Armstrong and Sam Williams. I suppose they can use Golston, but I would want more competition at DE.

The offensive is complicated, I think. I would love to sign McGovern but I think he will get more than the Cowboys are willing to pay. Connor Williams got $7 million per year from Miami last year. I think McGovern will get at least that much if not more. Williams had the penalty issue before becoming a free agent. McGovern does not have the baggage. He is not top tier but he is right under that. Austin Corbett got $8.75 million from the Panthers. McGovern is going to get something like that I think. If they can sign McGovern then they have flexibility with Tyron, and insurance if Steele is not ready.

They also need help at WR and RB. RB has to be solved in the draft. But do they sign Pollard? How much will he cost. Aaron Jones is getting $12 million/yr. Is Pollard Aaron Jones? I think he is a notch under him but I can see Pollard getting an offer for $10 million from someone. That's too expensive for Dallas.

The Cowboys have Tolbert and Fehoko at WR still. I don't know if Fehoko is going to be any good ever. He does not get separation and Dallas already has WRs like that. I have no idea what the problem is with Tolbert. Another big 3rd round disappointment. But they need a #2, or another #1.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I would favor a Samoan at that position.
Wow that was my thought as well. the old trashcan full of dirt who is tremendously strong would do the job very well; anchor against the run; protect the LBs; and push up the middle on pass plays.