With Quinn gone, who are our options?

LysleE

Reaction score
In the grand old spirit of run it back and buy into us mentality I'm guessing Joe Whitt or Al Harris to be promoted from within.

Only if both went with Quinn to Washington would I be curious as to whom would be the new guy.
I think I read something here that Al Harris said he would go wherever DQ went…could be wrong.
But in true Jerry fashion I am sure the new DC will be an uninspired pick from within…missing a chance to breathe new life into the defense.

slick325

Reaction score
Is that official or just a guess ?
Don't think it is official. But, makes a ton of sense that Quinn would take people with him. He has to have his shortlist together before the interview process.

quickccc

Reaction score
They can block al Harris because it’ll be a lateral move
How is that a lateral move ? He's the DB coach here.
Al Harris is not the DC here, he'd be getting a promotion to a higher coaching role if he's a new DC.

Dunno if Harris contract has another year, but if his contract is expired, shouldn't he be free to go where he wants to ?

tm1119

Reaction score
Any up and coming DC isn’t going to want to align themselves with a lame duck HC that could easily be fired after the season. It’s either going to be an out of work retread or a promotion from within…at this point I’d just go from within. Whether it’s Witt or possibly Al Harris

Carson

Reaction score
How is that a lateral move ? He's the DB coach here.
Al Harris is not the DC here, he'd be getting a promotion to a higher coaching role if he's a new DC.

Dunno if Harris contract has another year, but if his contract is expired, shouldn't he be free to go where he wants to ?
Because the rumor is Whitt is going to be DC

quickccc

Reaction score
Because the rumor is Whitt is going to be DC
rumors...... guesses,... maybe's ....whispers ..speculations ...Mike Fishers ...etc.

Al Harris leaving as new DC ?

Joe Witt Jr leaving as new DC ?

where is the " Official " news ?

kevm3

Reaction score
lol this is why you need an actual FO. We should have BEEN interviewing for DCs and possibly should have hired one while Quinn was twiddling his thumbs waiting for the HC job. In the event Quinn got taken, we would have already had a candidate ready to go, but we are reactionary, we wait until Quinn gets taken and NOW we are searching for a DC.

This is what happens when you don't have football people whose actual job is to do these kind of things. We have this casual, leisurely, take what is there approach and we get constantly spanked by real front offices, not this weird owner/gm hybrid.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I’m not opposed to Rivera .. not a bad DC and I think his head coach days are done.
Please for all that is good, no. Rivera is just another old, retread loser so many NFL teams love hiring. While he wasn't the DC in Washington, it was his defense. And they weren't that good. We need someone fresh.

Promote Al Harris. The players respect him. Does he have DC experience? Nope, but everyone has to start somewhere to gain the experience.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
I think an outsider is not a bad ploy though we need to not fall into Philly's trap and get someone horrible. That said, Al Harris could be a good idea as well.

kevm3

Reaction score
HC and DC are different matters. Wade sucked as HC, but he won a championship as a DC. Not sure what Rivera would bring to the table as DC here, but could he be an option? Sure.