With the 4th pick of the draft, Cowboys select....

IrishAnto

Reaction score
After seeing Paxton Lynch in their bowl game....anyone but him. But I'd love a trade down.

After seeing Romo in that Panthers game I cut him!!!

Don't judge on one game, look at the complete body of work.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
This.

I see us making a strong bid for RG3 or Manziel and using our #1 to be traded to the other team and we take their #1.

This keeps our draft in tact and we address other needs.

The thing about Dallas is that we are still not convinced about needing a QB immediately.

Only a backup.

That lessens the willingness to invest a big payroll for somebody to sit as second string.

Which is what has to happen if we draft a QB #1. It will be expensive and difficult to wait on him playing to justify his cap slot.

I see a trade and reworked contract to be more friendly for Dallas and still pay the player a good contract to wait for their opp.

And in the meantime plug somemore holes.

With the rookie salary cap, it's not nearly as expensive as it used to be.

Hell we've paid $5m this year for Miles Austin.

In addition a good veteran QB isn't going to play for peanuts.

And for the love of God no Manziel (unless Jerry moves the franchise to Las Vegas).

ilykdrama

Reaction score
After seeing Romo in that Panthers game I cut him!!!

Don't judge on one game, look at the complete body of work.

It's VERY different. No way I'd take Lynch at 4. WAYYYYYY too high for any of these QBs that are gonna sit for 2-3 seasons

IrishAnto

Reaction score
It's VERY different. No way I'd take Lynch at 4. WAYYYYYY too high for any of these QBs that are gonna sit for 2-3 seasons

It's not very different.

You base your evaluation of any player on their total body of work not just on one game whether it be the NFL or college.

In addition most if not all QBs worthy of being drafted for the foreseeable future will be coming from a non pro style offense so will need time to adjust.

If we're lucky our draft pick will get to sit for a couple of years instead of getting thrown to the wolves straight away.

ilykdrama

Reaction score
It's not very different.

You base your evaluation of any player on their total body of work not just on one game whether it be the NFL or college.

In addition most if not all QBs worthy of being drafted for the foreseeable future will be coming from a non pro style offense so will need time to adjust.

If we're lucky our draft pick will get to sit for a couple of years instead of getting thrown to the wolves straight away.

If I'm picking QB top 5. I want a franchise QB. Not a "good one"

ilykdrama

Reaction score
So when the next franchise QB coming out and are you going to have the worst record in the league when he does?

Don't have to have the worst record to find:

Romo: undrafted
Rodgers: #24
Brady: undrafted
Wilson: #75

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Don't have to have the worst record to find:

Romo: undrafted
Rodgers: #24
Brady: undrafted
Wilson: #75

If they guy is perceived to be a franchise QB then he won't last until the 24th pick.

Rodgers wasn't considered a franchise QB coming out and coincidently he didn't play well in his last bowl game just like Lynch.

Tell me the percentage of QBs picked in the 6th or later who actually make it and then tell me how likely it is you'll find the next Romo or Brady picking a QB that low?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Jerry hates drafting QBs in the 1st round...I think they will go all in for Manziel or RG3.

I see Dallas pursuing either of them.

I also see Kapernick if the 9ers draft a QB.

Using our draft to fill other positions than QB makes sense.

So does the possibility to trade down to pickup another high draft pick if we get the QB we want outside the draft.

There are a lot of options.