Without Dak this roster doesn't have a chance

garyo1954

Reaction score
First of all Olympics is not all individual events. And sorry if you didn’t grasp the overall analogy which is the person or team which wins gold isn’t the only one or ones who have had success.

Remember the champion has to beat some excellent talent . And in order to reach that level have to beat some talent as well. I’ll continue to dispel that the winner is the only great talent . They are just the best.

Good point about Bullet and Bolt. All you can be is the fastest or greatest of your era

And I agree winning the championship or title is the ultimate goal. My argument is it isn’t the only measurement of great talent . It just measures who is the greatest.
I'm glad you pointed to the team aspect of the Olympics. I skipped over it. No excuse. The whole Olympic experience is an oddity in sports. Here we could take a tangent on size of contingent each nation sends. Interesting but nothing to gain by arguing desert nations are not suited for training swimmers while nations with a coastline are likely to excel in water sports. Ethiopia having a rowing team would be the same joke as the year Jamaica sent a bobsled team.

But I doubt you'd get an argument on you're measurement of talent. No one questions that anyone participating in sports at the pro level is immensely talented.

But fans follow teams to see them win championships. Many people tuned into the WNBA to see Caitlin Clark. Some will remain; some will go back to their normal lives. We could take a tangent here on real fans and casual fans but I won't.

Players play to win championships. Fans follow teams hoping to see the team win a championship.

Tom Brady never came into the NFL thinking he would play into his 40s, throw for 89,000 yards and win 7 Super Bowls.
Now we can take a tangent on how important is talent versus being prepared.

But I won't. I hate long replies and this one is excruciating to write much less read

garyo1954

Reaction score
The more I read and try to digest you're point it appears to settle on the concept of the participation trophy.

No I'm not for that. Winners should be rewarded. They put in the work, the effort, and dedicated themselves to being the best.

Plenty of others have the talent, but not the determination, the drive, or the willingness to become a winner.

Rewarding talent only allows the lazy to be more so.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I’m not a Dakster but without a running game or ability to stop the run this roster has no chance of a comeback against better teams without a QB as good as Dak.

That doesn’t mean he’s worth 60 mil , etc but he’s enough to give us a shot in some of these games we are overmatched.

We don’t have a RB, only 1 WR, a couple rookies on OL. Very bleak without an above average QB. I’d argue the weaknesses this roster has without a QB similar to Daks ability we are definitely a bottom tier team.

And we could become that regardless with these core weaknesses. But without Dak we absolutely have no shot on even sniffing 8 or 9 wins and a possible WC.
This team could do just as well with Darnold or Mayfield. Two guys I recommended to bring in and compete with Dak a couple years ago. This stupid idea that Dak can't be replaced is just a myth.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This team could do just as well with Darnold or Mayfield. Two guys I recommended to bring in and compete with Dak a couple years ago. This stupid idea that Dak can't be replaced is just a myth.
I agree. Darnold isn’t proven yet over a season while looking good so far but Baker is looking like he’s finally found his groove in Tampa.

Both though are basically greater talents being drafted in 1st round. Will they have more success . We shall see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm glad you pointed to the team aspect of the Olympics. I skipped over it. No excuse. The whole Olympic experience is an oddity in sports. Here we could take a tangent on size of contingent each nation sends. Interesting but nothing to gain by arguing desert nations are not suited for training swimmers while nations with a coastline are likely to excel in water sports. Ethiopia having a rowing team would be the same joke as the year Jamaica sent a bobsled team.

But I doubt you'd get an argument on you're measurement of talent. No one questions that anyone participating in sports at the pro level is immensely talented.

But fans follow teams to see them win championships. Many people tuned into the WNBA to see Caitlin Clark. Some will remain; some will go back to their normal lives. We could take a tangent here on real fans and casual fans but I won't.

Players play to win championships. Fans follow teams hoping to see the team win a championship.

Tom Brady never came into the NFL thinking he would play into his 40s, throw for 89,000 yards and win 7 Super Bowls.
Now we can take a tangent on how important is talent versus being prepared.

But I won't. I hate long replies and this one is excruciating to write much less read
Some fans may only follow their team to win championships but I’d argue most follow their local or regional team for just that reason much like we’d follow our Alma Mater.

Winning championships just make it more fun. Same for players. The spirit of competition is always in play,

I played golf competitively and never had a higher finish than runner up. But I thoroughly enjoyed the competition and being able to play well enough to be in the hunt.

Maybe some of these fans this era place this all or nothing on winning championships. If they do then I’d argue they aren’t true purist of the game.