Without Dak this roster doesn't have a chance

HanD

Reaction score
Mahomes is the exception though. Unfortunately there’s not enough of him to spread around the league .

We aren’t the only team which struggles with our Franchise QB and greater team success.

How is Jaguars feeling right now with Trevor after paying him 55. How about Miami with Tua. The list goes on.
So the real question would be would you rather pay your not mahommes qb 60m or would you rather spend half that on someone like baker mayfield or sam darnold geno smith or even Derek carr who imo aren't as good but close enough to dak. Not saying Jerry would spend it anyway in that scenario but I rather allocate more around a decent QB than break the bank for a QB that isn't mahommes and can't carry a team by himself.

I hope I'm wrong on dak and the philosophy

RonWashington

Reaction score
So the real question would be would you rather pay your not mahommes qb 60m or would you rather spend half that on someone like baker mayfield or sam darnold geno smith or even Derek carr who imo aren't as good but close enough to dak. Not saying Jerry would spend it anyway in that scenario but I rather allocate more around a decent QB than break the bank for a QB that isn't mahommes and can't carry a team by himself.

Whoever goes through the turnstiles at the buffet line in Frisco is never “ enough talent “ at some point you have to start looking at common denominators to the talent pipeline where it’s being spent and how the team performs .

Every year Mahomes is throwing to someone different someone else is running the ball and pieces are added and subtracted from the OL ,

RonWashington

Reaction score
I just knew watching the Chiefs Chargers yesterday the Chiefs down 10-0 early would find a way to “just win baby” . Xavier Worthy is the latest deep threat bomb coming to the Kansas City skyline .

And running game goodness since Pacheco went down I can safely say Czonka Kiick and Morris aren’t running the rock . Rico Dowdle would thrive as a Chief .

starfan1

Reaction score
My point being whatever WR RB and OL the Chiefs throw out on the field Reid Mahomes and the Chiefs organization continue to plow on they don’t complain “ not enough talent “ .
Not undervaluing the Mahomes and Reid effect but the chiefs are much more than just that

They have been one of the better defenses the last few years

They also have one of the better lines in football

And the league is also very good at making sure the stripes protect their #1 marketing guy.

The line gets away with holding calls more than any line in football

I think losing Rice for the season will be impactful

Swagger

Reaction score
I just knew watching the Chiefs Chargers yesterday the Chiefs down 10-0 early would find a way to “just win baby” . Xavier Worthy is the latest deep threat bomb coming to the Kansas City skyline .

And running game goodness since Pacheco went down I can safely say Czonka Kiick and Morris aren’t running the rock . Rico Dowdle would thrive as a Chief .
Herbert must have one of the worst o lines in football. It seems every time he looks up with the ball there's an opposing player in his face. Slowly turning into the David Carr in recent years. He made a fantastic play yesterday when he was running for his life (again) yet extended the play and made a great throw down the sidelines but it was dropped. Any chance they had went at that moment.

Swagger

Reaction score

This is the whole crux of why people like myself are not Dak Prescott fans. If he was being paid a similar amount to those guys mentioned above or a little more then most people wouldn't have too much of an issue. Solid QB and there being a boatload more cap space to build a stronger supporting cast around him.

Yet he's now being paid more than Mahomes, Allen and Burrow.

Once this contract has finished he will have been paid on average $50 million a year over 8 years. I doubt any other QB will have been paid more over that same period.

It's truly astonishing given his actual level.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My feelings about Dak's play is the same as it was with TRomo......the very same task you employ Dak to do.....win a championship, but I understand......he can't make mistakes, as he will be criticized rightfully. I just don't understand when TRomo maded mistakes....."He doesn't have help" cry commenced or worse....."TRomo is HOF".....rather simple. C'mon Man! I'm pulling for, hoping for, and rooting for Dak just as I did for TRomo. Some of you aren't, and it's rather obvious. We've been through this before......QB paid well, but no championship.

Now if Dak was playing tennis, golf, wrestling or some other individual sport.....I'd place all the blame and heave all the critiques soley on him. Not about to dismiss WR slipping on a route, WR pouting, poor play calling, OL missing a block, or a defense requiring shootouts.
There’s no reasoning with Dak detractors. They either actually believe winning a championship will elevate his talent level which is more somewhere in between the haters and the homers or it’s simply a talking point for their stance.

There is a long list of non Elite QB’s with a ring. Why, because they were on great teams. And there’s another list of Elite QB’s without a ring. And many more in between.

These fans either aren’t able to evaluate talent and their production and contribution without winning rings or simply use as a talking point.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is the whole crux of why people like myself are not Dak Prescott fans. If he was being paid a similar amount to those guys mentioned above or a little more then most people wouldn't have too much of an issue. Solid QB and there being a boatload more cap space to build a stronger supporting cast around him.

Yet he's now being paid more than Mahomes, Allen and Burrow.

Once this contract has finished he will have been paid on average $50 million a year over 8 years. I doubt any other QB will have been paid more over that same period.

It's truly astonishing given his actual level.
True but that will change in the next 4 years. It’s all about when you signed. Does Trevor and Love deserve more than Mahomes and Allen or even same as Burrows which signed last year.

For example when Prescott received his last contract it was near the top. Now before this current deal he was 14th highest paid.

Unfortunately NFL QB’s contracts aren’t necessarily a pecking order but rather more about the timing of their last contract. I assure you with Cap increasing about 10% each season Mahomes, Allen and Burrows contracts will surpass any of these this offseason. That’s just the nature of business on QB’s..

RonWashington

Reaction score
Herbert must have one of the worst o lines in football. It seems every time he looks up with the ball there's an opposing player in his face. Slowly turning into the David Carr in recent years. He made a fantastic play yesterday when he was running for his life (again) yet extended the play and made a great throw down the sidelines but it was dropped. Any chance they had went at that moment.

And the Chargers have drafted OL lately first round .

RonWashington

Reaction score
If “ talent “ is the reason the Cowboys can’t compete well you know who’s counting the “ jocks and socks “ in the lockeroom among other things allegedly then that’s the source .

But if “ talent “ is the issue why pay Dak more then any other player in the NFL. Why not spread the $ in a cap league to acquire more “ talent “ .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Won't bother asking you to explain. You've gone off on quite a few baffling tangents, like the Olympics which is an individual sport. Everyone wins gold by their own effort.

Winning a state, national, or Super Bowl is the goal and a team effort.

Stats are just something that occurs along the way. And those only last until someone comes along to take the title. Bob Hayes was the fastest man alive when I was a kid. That title now belongs to Usain Bolt.

As fun as it is to go back and forth on a topic, it gets old when the topic changes and you find yourself trying to nail Jello to a tree.
First of all Olympics is not all individual events. And sorry if you didn’t grasp the overall analogy which is the person or team which wins gold isn’t the only one or ones who have had success.

Remember the champion has to beat some excellent talent . And in order to reach that level have to beat some talent as well. I’ll continue to dispel that the winner is the only great talent . They are just the best.

Good point about Bullet and Bolt. All you can be is the fastest or greatest of your era

And I agree winning the championship or title is the ultimate goal. My argument is it isn’t the only measurement of great talent . It just measures who is the greatest.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The play in the engine was the second to last play of the game. It was the one preceding the int. It surely cost the game.

I thought you were referring to the more infamous Crayton drop earlier in the game .

And I was unable to view video.

slick325

Reaction score
Last night after Josh Allen made an incredible play while rolling right and finding a WR deep down field before stepping out of bounds, Chris Collingsworth said his most profound on the mic statement..."Sometimes your QB has to make a play."

With the way the Jones family handled the talent acquisition this offseason Collinsworth's statement applies to Dak Prescott in nearly every game throughout the 2024 season. He has to be the best player on the team and field in every game for this version of the Cowboys to be successful. That's a ton of pressure but it comes with having the richest contract in League history. Dak has to elevate this hapless bunch even without a running game, only two true receiving threats (CeeDee and Ferguson), injuries, poor depth, and Mike Zimmer as your DC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My point being whatever WR RB and OL the Chiefs throw out on the field Reid Mahomes and the Chiefs organization continue to plow on they don’t complain “ not enough talent “ .
No doubt . We all wish we had Mahomes and their defense doesn’t hurt.

Unfortunately there’s aren’t more Mahomes to spread around the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"of his caliber" creates a wrong message.
This makes it sound like he is a good player.
Define good. Is he in same neighborhood as Tua, Love , Lawrence , Cousins , Goff and who else am I missing in the 50-60 million over paid range ?

A QB who leads league in TD’s, runner up in MVP regardless if he chokes in playoffs is still considered good enough to be a Franchise QB( which doesn’t mean Elite).

Of course his lack of success in playoffs prevents him from being considered great. I get what Dak is and he isn’t . It doesn’t mean he’s crap. He just isn’t as good as we’d like .

I’m all for having an Elite QB. Like prob 25+ other teams . Unfortunately most teams have to build around something less. And pay then more than they should.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We are a bottom tier team.
We haven’t been. And I’d argue we are more in the middle. Probably a .500 team this year.

We shall see. If these key injuries continue it could certainly turn that direction. But as long as Prescott stays healthy I’d expect to hover around .500.

This appears to be kind of a retooling season after losing so much talent in FA we didn’t really address properly for whatever reason.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If “ talent “ is the reason the Cowboys can’t compete well you know who’s counting the “ jocks and socks “ in the lockeroom among other things allegedly then that’s the source .

But if “ talent “ is the issue why pay Dak more then any other player in the NFL. Why not spread the $ in a cap league to acquire more “ talent “ .
Good question.

First of all we must remember that these market price contracts for QB’s don’t represent a pecking order but rather when they sign. For example before this current deal Dak was 14th highest paid QB which most would probably agree is more in line with his ability.

In 2-3 years his current deal will probably me more in line as well. Unfortunately that’s just how Franchise QB’s work in NFL. It obviously makes it tougher on teams whose QB’s aren’t enough to carry lesser rosters .

Even in last few years when Daks Cap hit was 17,19 and 26 mil respectively our FO didn’t do a better job of surrounding with enough talent leaving key weaknesses on both sides of the ball.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Herbert has to get out of the pocket more.

I understand he’s a prolific pocket QB but he has to become more mobile rolling out to thwart pressure at least attempting to extend the play.

And Harbaugh has to kick the FG to take 13-10 lead. Bolts lost momentum after that.

That was a horrible call on that 4th down as well staying in the pocket. He has to roll out or just run the ball. Romo called it correctly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Last night after Josh Allen made an incredible play while rolling right and finding a WR deep down field before stepping out of bounds, Chris Collingsworth said his most profound on the mic statement..."Sometimes your QB has to make a play."

With the way the Jones family handled the talent acquisition this offseason Collinsworth's statement applies to Dak Prescott in nearly every game throughout the 2024 season. He has to be the best player on the team and field in every game for this version of the Cowboys to be successful. That's a ton of pressure but it comes with having the richest contract in League history. Dak has to elevate this hapless bunch even without a running game, only two true receiving threats (CeeDee and Ferguson), injuries, poor depth, and Mike Zimmer as your DC.
Yep and maybe he is elevating a bottom tier team to mediocre or .500. Which was more of my overall point here.