Witten has screwed the Cowboys twice now

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rico is on the final year of his contract at 570 thousand is worth bringing back to camp. Rico has had ample time to learn and develop but when we kick off for real I'm not as interested in playing developmental football I want win games. Witten did not take 3 or 4 years to become a TE he showed it day 1 that he was capable and by year 2 was playing at a pro bowl level. I'm one who tend to believe you show the coaches through out the week that you can get the job done and then make the plays that come your way in the game and you will get your chance. If you can't earn it then you have no business being out there to begin with.

I agree, the time is now for this team. Rico has had time to develop and I don't see enough of it to constitute a roster spot. Now, that could change this pre-season but I doubt it. His contract is very reasonable, that's true, but he's still not worth it. The roster spot is going to end up being more important then the value of the contract IMO. He needs to move on and find another team if possible, IMO. If a TE falls to us, we need to draft one and start developing our future. Witt is a short term lease so maybe we ride with 4 TEs this year but either way you look at it, we can't afford to waste resources on players that don't develop. JMO.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
Does OP know Garrett was asking Witten to come back during the season?

He isn't screwing them this time

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had those preseason games that weren’t bad. I know it’s against lower talent players. But looked like he showed enough to get a better chance than what he did. They must have really seen something they didn’t like.
Beginning with lining up. Hell, they pulled him off the field before the play because he didn't know where in the hell he was supposed to be. I just don't get the Rico love.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Witten still has something left in the tank...but NOT as a #1 TE on a team expecting to win a championship. He didn't have to retire last year but his role should have decreased to a #2 TE so that they could begin trying to plan for his replacement. The only problem is that they could never get him off the field, whether by Witten's or the coaching staff's stubbornness.

If Witten is coming back in a limited role like they are saying then I'm okay with it. But if he's still the team's primary TE then that's not good.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I do think his decision was affected by that and there sure aren't any wet eyes about Linehan's departure and quite a few are on the Kellen wagon.

However, I think what really drove it was the opening of the job and his buddy's instant success and the tradition of ex Cowboys in the booth. However, I think if he'd felt they had a shot at the title, he would have passed on that. But, while he's had a bright career, his teams have not and he's been through a bunch of BS, including being Dez Bryant's babysitter. Think Booger didn't ask him to be Bryant's guardian?

Then again, we might all be off base and he hates Garrett as much as this forum and he's coming back to make some timely drops to make sure he gets fired? Just kidding, he and Garrett are tight and he would try to come back to help save his job.
He saw how close this team was last year. He saw the gap at TE and with that position being filled last year then it could have helped win more games. But it wouldnt have stopped the rams running on us. But if we had better drives and extended drives that resulted in points it would have been closer. I do think he knows things we don’t. He knows the players and coaches. It’s not like he needs the money. Could have just taken a coaching job if he wanted to still be apart of the team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He had those preseason games that weren’t bad. I know it’s against lower talent players. But looked like he showed enough to get a better chance than what he did. They must have really seen something they didn’t like.

All I can say is coaches are there through out the week and your right he looked good vs 2nd and 3rd string players but other than height what is he bringing? Do you know for a fact he is running the rout as he need to? is he hitting his spots when he has to be there? or is he not running it correctly which is why Dak is not going to him? I'm not saying any of this as fact because I don't know it to be fact, but coaches do and Dak does. With Witten Dak knew where he would be and Witten was there to make the grab. I don't think it is by accident that Dak sack total went from 32 to 56 in one year, I think much of it had to do with not having that safety net that Dak could trust

Kaiser

Reaction score
CBZ November 2018: Dalton Schultz is a total waste of a 4th round pick, that bum hasn't even seen the field!!!

CBZ February 2019: Our Hall of Fame TE is blocking Dalton Schultz from getting reps, fire the Front Office!!!

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Last year, he retired unexpectedly, leaving the Cowboys to go into the offseason with subpar TE talent. This year, he throws a monkey wrench in the plans again, at the last minute, and puts the franchise in an odd position.

He's going to leech snaps from any TE they may draft, and hinder the development of the guys already on the roster. He's definitely taken them out of the free agency mix for TEs.
I understand your outrage. However you answered the reason why Witten can come back and make a contribution..."sub par TE talent". No one the Cowboys played at TE last year stepped up and took the job.

The return of Witten allows the Cowboys to still go after his eventual replacement in the draft or free agency. But, you know have a Hall of Fame security blanket for a young QB in his 4th year in the league.

Now, if GM jocks and socks does not sign a TE like Eifert or draft a TE like Irv Smith who both are more talented than anyone on the Cowboys roster prior to Witten's return, then your argument has merit because Witten signed a 1 year deal and is 37 years old.

Witten's expiration due date has been for 5 years now. So it is not Witten's fault he can come back to the team and be the best option at TE.

Witten is not the GM of the Dallas Cowboys. If you do not have his replacement by now, then you need Witten's return plus someone else at TE. Go ask the GM why a 37 year old TE is your best option at TE. Remember this is the same GM that went into the 2018 without a no.1 WR, no.1 TE, and a Head Coach that has made no one forget Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson or even Bill Parcells but is only behind Landry in tenure.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Beginning with lining up. Hell, they pulled him off the field before the play because he didn't know where in the hell he was supposed to be. I just don't get the Rico love.
The few plays he was in and lined up on the right side of the ball you could tell he has hands and is hard to bring down. I see the allure. It was all in preseason though.

I think the team took a hard approach to him because they wanted him to pan out. You are getting paid 500k a year to learn assignments amd how to block. I believe I could have learned it after 3 years.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree, the time is now for this team. Rico has had time to develop and I don't see enough of it to constitute a roster spot. Now, that could change this pre-season but I doubt it. His contract is very reasonable, that's true, but he's still not worth it. The roster spot is going to end up being more important then the value of the contract IMO. He needs to move on and find another team if possible, IMO. If a TE falls to us, we need to draft one and start developing our future. Witt is a short term lease so maybe we ride with 4 TEs this year but either way you look at it, we can't afford to waste resources on players that don't develop. JMO.

During the season your right that spot is the difference of keeping an extra DL or OL player but in a 90 man roster he is worth bringing to camp. If I had to take a guess today the odds are slim that Rico will make it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Last year, he retired unexpectedly, leaving the Cowboys to go into the offseason with subpar TE talent. This year, he throws a monkey wrench in the plans again, at the last minute, and puts the franchise in an odd position.

He's going to leech snaps from any TE they may draft, and hinder the development of the guys already on the roster. He's definitely taken them out of the free agency mix for TEs.
Obviously, the Cowboys don't see it that way...which is all that matters.

Kaiser

Reaction score
With Witten Dak knew where he would be and Witten was there to make the grab. I don't think it is by accident that Dak sack total went from 32 to 56 in one year, I think much of it had to do with not having that safety net that Dak could trust

That was part of it, for sure. Amari Cooper made most fans forget it, but in the first half of the season our receivers got zero seperation and we got absolutely nothing from the TE position. Even slowing down and taking fewer reps, Witten is still one of the best at creating seperation on broken plays. The safety valve aspect you are talking about is huge.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, his numbers were at career lows in 2017, does anyone really expect them to improve two years later?
No. Realistically, it's just a really bad reason/excuse not to give the TE position serious consideration in the draft. This is indeed the second time in 2 years Witten has screwed us.

Last edited:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
People are seriously whining about a first ballot HOFer and one of the best players in franchise history coming back on a dirt cheap 1-yr deal?

HanD

Reaction score
All I can say is coaches are there through out the week and your right he looked good vs 2nd and 3rd string players but other than height what is he bringing? Do you know for a fact he is running the rout as he need to? is he hitting his spots when he has to be there? or is he not running it correctly which is why Dak is not going to him? I'm not saying any of this as fact because I don't know it to be fact, but coaches do and Dak does. With Witten Dak knew where he would be and Witten was there to make the grab. I don't think it is by accident that Dak sack total went from 32 to 56 in one year, I think much of it had to do with not having that safety net that Dak could trust

dak's safety net became zeke and his 77 catches. his sack total imo had more to do with the downgrade from looney to fredbeard (although looney played admirably well), martin injured at times and williams struggling some and the rotating door at LG.

Little Jr

Reaction score

The cowboys didn't have to take him back so if you have a issue with him coming back, that's in the FO.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
I agree, his numbers were at career lows in 2017, does anyone really expect them to improve two years later?
The addition of Coop will no doubt give him better numbers if he actually starts and plays all year. He also didn't have Zeke for 6 games to take away some of his routes.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The sacks alone are why I am glad Witten is back. Now I know the injuries to our O-Line played a big part in it also. But we have a pretty solid blocker in Witten. I bet Elliot is glad he is back also.

As far as Rico goes I heard the staff or JJ say that his blocking was much improved. Followed up by AS LONG AS HE KNOWS WHO HE IS SUPPOSED TO BLOCK. Can’t hold his hand. All I was saying is that he has talent with height and hands. Big boy with football. You could see the corners hating trying to tackle him.