Witten has screwed the Cowboys twice now

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be honest, I'd be fine if he duplicated the TD numbers. I doubt it, but he scored a good amount in 2017.

I'd be thrilled. The team could definitely use the added touchdowns. I just balance that out with fear that things will just go back to Witten on the field 90% of the time so people can be "comfortable" again, and that's what scares me. He's not that guy anymore.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I hope you're right about Jarwin but I don't see him getting a shot with Witten there.

Hey Foo, how are you? You know, I don't know for sure but I kinda suspect that we may be looking at this complete wrong. Witten has been so great for so long that fans look at him to be that same kind of player when he returns and context his value in those same terms. However, I remember when we drafted Witt. He was a very talented player with a lot of desire to get better but it was Dan Campbell who actually taught Witten to be the great TE he would eventually become. Campbell was a player then and I just wonder if that's what the Cowboys are trying to replicate here. I seriously doubt if the Cowboys are relying on Witt to be the same All Pro TE he was a few years ago but, I can see them wanting Witt around to teach one of our younger TEs, or maybe somebody we have an eye on in the draft, the way Campbell taught him.

I don't know, I just see that as more of a possibility then anything else.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Last year, he retired unexpectedly, leaving the Cowboys to go into the offseason with subpar TE talent. This year, he throws a monkey wrench in the plans again, at the last minute, and puts the franchise in an odd position.

He's going to leech snaps from any TE they may draft, and hinder the development of the guys already on the roster. He's definitely taken them out of the free agency mix for TEs.

Witten's "unexpected" retirement was being discussed internally before anyone here knew it and he hasn't forced them to resign him.

Otherwise, spot on. :clap:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Last year, he retired unexpectedly, leaving the Cowboys to go into the offseason with subpar TE talent. This year, he throws a monkey wrench in the plans again, at the last minute, and puts the franchise in an odd position.

He's going to leech snaps from any TE they may draft, and hinder the development of the guys already on the roster. He's definitely taken them out of the free agency mix for TEs.

Don't tell our ignorant fanbase this. They see him as something he isn't. He is a complete fraud. He's as selfish as it gets. He yelled as much as Dez did on the sidelines but of course the cameras didn't want to show that for several obvious reasons. I despise Witten now. He was so bad at broadcasting and was made out to be a national joke that he had to crawl back to the only team who would take him back. No other team wants a 37yr old TE who can't even move who hasn't played in over a year.

Screw Witten.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hope you're right about Jarwin but I don't see him getting a shot with Witten there.

As mentioned Dallas will still use 2 TE at times and I think it is up to Jarwin to push for playing time. I want the best player out there this is not a charity game. I don't say that as a knock on Jarwin, I expect him to work and improve himself as a player and to put pressure on the coaches to play him more based on what he is showing them. Coaches love Lee and why not great player with knowledge and passion but once LVE showed himself they did not find it hard to keep him sitting. Great play will get you playing time.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Witten retired because he was only going to be on the field for blocking for the majority of the time under Linehan's system.

Him coming back to the Cowboys could possibly mean these things:
1. Beasley is gone
2. Austin is either gone or going to play limited snaps again
3. Moore's system involves more passing and possibly having a TE in the slot so he won't do much blocking

LittleD

Reaction score
Obviously, Jerry, Stephen and Garrett wanted to be screwed if they resigned Witten that fast. What once was old is made new again.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Blame the Front Office, not Witten. They did not have to have him back, they chose to.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
After sleeping on it, I too don't like it. We moved on already. Why get back?

Call me crazy, but I prefer the TEs we have now plus whoever we draft

Prepare yourselves for more flags on holding and false starts

:cool:

Like the single false start in 17.
Or the 3 in 16.

So one every 8 games.

And holding.
Also only 4 over the past two seasons he played.

He averages each penalty twice a season. So horrible.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
You all make your own arguments look bad when you constantly refer to nonsensical numbers you pull from your *** when the hard data is readily available,
Can’t say it’s surprising the way people believe whatever they want to fit their narrative.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score

Agreed..

Flamma

Reaction score

Look, dude, no one does anyone any favors in this league. This is a results orientated league. If Witten doesn't have it anymore and can't compete he won't be playing. We are yet to know if he wins the starting job. But I have a feeling Blake Jarwin or Dalton Shultz probably won't beat him out. But I do think Blake shows some flashes. But don't worry about his return. The Cowboys are not downgrading the position even if they humor him for one season.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
He can't accept what they don't offer.

They've drafted plenty of TE's with him on the roster before so there's no reason why they wouldn't do it now. If they cut him before the season, the penalty is...?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Look, dude, no one does anyone any favors in this league. This is a results orientated league. If Witten doesn't have it anymore and can't compete he won't be playing. We are yet to know if he wins the starting job. But I have a feeling Blake Jarwin or Dalton Shultz probably won't beat him out. But I do think Blake shows some flashes. But don't worry about his return. The Cowboys are not downgrading the position even if they humor him for one season.

Lmao! You honestly believe this? With this franchise? Witten decides how much he wants to play. He is a pet of Jerry. He sucked in 2017 yet was on the field every single play. He dictates everything. Garrett and Moore have no say. He will directly over their head to Jerry if he feels he is not getting the snaps he wants. He's a selfish player to the fullest. He's not here to help this team. He's here to feed his ego because he sucked so bad at calling games.

Even if every other TE is light years ahead of Witten, won't matter. This is a PR move and nothing more. Jerry knows this. Witten is back to being on the field as often as he wants. Fans will forget about how mediocre we are as long as good ol Witten on the field. Such a field good story!!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm sure that if the Cowboys felt they were being "screwed," they wouldn't have welcomed him back to sign a contract.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Lmao! You honestly believe this? With this franchise? Witten decides how much he wants to play. He is a pet of Jerry. He sucked in 2017 yet was on the field every single play. He dictates everything. Garrett and Moore have no say. He will directly over their head to Jerry if he feels he is not getting the snaps he wants. He's a selfish player to the fullest. He's not here to help this team. He's here to feed his ego because he sucked so bad at calling games.

Even if every other TE is light years ahead of Witten, won't matter. This is a PR move and nothing more. Jerry knows this. Witten is back to being on the field as often as he wants. Fans will forget about how mediocre we are as long as good ol Witten on the field. Such a field good story!!

LOL I see you found yourself some good seeds. You got yourself a good Afghani strain, smoked it, and then posted here. I'm envious.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They should’ve had a plan for post Witten last year and they should have one now that he’s back. Don’t blame him.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
CBZ November 2018: Dalton Schultz is a total waste of a 4th round pick, that bum hasn't even seen the field!!!

CBZ February 2019: Our Hall of Fame TE is blocking Dalton Schultz from getting reps, fire the Front Office!!!
In the CBZ, everyone is wrong and everyone is right. It's all in the timing.

TheViper7

Reaction score
Ya know, whats it all for if we can't root for some of our all time favorite players to win football games for us and possibly a championship. I know some of you would strip down the entire football team from 1-53 and replace them with an entire roster of All-Pros if you knew it would guarantee you a super bowl at the end of the year. Not me, I like rooting for players I know and like and respect to win that ring for the Cowboys. That's part of the fun for me. If that entire team of All Pros that came and went for that one year won the super bowl it wouldn't really do much for me. Because i didn't go on that journey with them for all those years chasing that ring. I'm sorry, but other than Sean Lee and MAYBE a couple others like DLaw and the OLineman, I don't exactly have that connection with or sentimentality that those are MY Cowboys! I want to see THEM win. So if Witten wants to come back and keep chasing that ring I'm all for it. Because i enjoying watching and rooting for him. This is just my opinion. I know others won't agree. I know others would take that one year of All pros if they knew they could call their Cowboys super bowl champions again. Having Witten on the team again makes this journey fun again for me.