Witten has screwed the Cowboys twice now

CWR

Reaction score
Ridiculous. This team potentially has a small window to win it all with our current group of players and Witten just solidified one less position we need to worry about this off season. With all the contracts coming up, the few areas we need to address on defense and starting off with a 2nd round pick, who exactly do you think we should have got in FA or the draft?

Its crazy how much hate he's getting here. IF he's used properly he will be a great addition.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked him until last year. The way he handled his departure wasn't ok.
And now, coming out of retirement leaves a bad taste:
  • is it because of the money ?
  • does he really wants to play ?
  • will he be giving it all even if we wont have a winning season ?
then, he just takes a spot away from our other TEs. We have Swaim and 2 more who need all the reps they can get. Maybe even a 4th draftpick.

I dont like that signing at all.
Swaim is a free agent

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
the boys are not screwed. This is what they have been doing for several years now. Sign a FA cheap/ short term and draft a guy if needed, only they already drafted a mid round guy in schultz.

And it's a much better free agent signing than usual.

cowboyec

Reaction score
1st time we finally score a TD in the red-zone...all this CRAPOLA goes away.
show some damn respect to the best dang TE to wear the star.
:starspin:'MERICA'S TE:starspin:

ArtClink

Reaction score
Last year, he retired unexpectedly, leaving the Cowboys to go into the offseason with subpar TE talent. This year, he throws a monkey wrench in the plans again, at the last minute, and puts the franchise in an odd position.

He's going to leech snaps from any TE they may draft, and hinder the development of the guys already on the roster. He's definitely taken them out of the free agency mix for TEs.

Its nobodys fault except the Jones boys for wasting a roster spot on a well past his prime TE.

I love Witten but he was washed up 2 seasons ago.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Last year, he retired unexpectedly, leaving the Cowboys to go into the offseason with subpar TE talent. This year, he throws a monkey wrench in the plans again, at the last minute, and puts the franchise in an odd position.

He's going to leech snaps from any TE they may draft, and hinder the development of the guys already on the roster. He's definitely taken them out of the free agency mix for TEs.
:clap:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
1st time we finally score a TD in the red-zone...all this CRAPOLA goes away.
show some damn respect to the best dang TE to wear the star.
:starspin:'MERICA'S TE:starspin:
Wow blokes. Who turned back the clock to 2013!!!!!!!

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
How did the 3 main TEs do for the season without witten?

85 receptions
5 TDS

In 2017 when he was there.

They combined for

69 catches
663 yards
6 TDS.

So these young guys who witten hinders so clearly in all your minds, averaged considerably less yards per catch, and scored One fewer TD. They also gained only 2 more yards on 16 more catches.
Yeah, so they should revert back in time. Not develop or find younger talent. Hinge bets on a 15yr vet who is coming back for a 16th year. A year away from football. He will be taking away catches from the TE's that need the reps. Maybe that works in Madden.

Witten isn't the missing piece. Will he help? Sure, but, at what price?

Jeffkills

Reaction score
I think it's a blessing to be able to watch Witten again this year.

He'll be our best TE by far, and I can't wait to see him on the field again.

If you're hating on Witten, you probably need to rethink your entire life...

GMO415

Reaction score
Jerry should have told him..."thanks but no thanks"

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I don't think he's screwed the Cowboys at all. When you have an app to get open in the end zone. You start him. This isn't about speed Kurt this is about intelligence

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't think he's screwed the Cowboys at all. This is about being able to get open in the end zone intelligence. This has nothing to do with speed. This is about touchdowns Red Zone scoring

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Witten is an upgrade in regard to experience and knowledge of the position. Those that don't like it just need to read between the lines. Witten isn't going to "hinder growth" but instead help in their development. I have a feeling this one year contract was to get Witten acclimated into a coaching position.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So these young guys who witten hinders so clearly in all your minds, averaged considerably less yards per catch

lol

Today I learned 7.8 is CONSIDERABLY LESS than 9.6.

It's well known that Witten is a literal progress stopper at the TE position. He wants no part in grooming or teaching his competition at the position, they've even talked about it on the podcasts.

If Witten could have kept the booth deal under wraps for just one more night, we've probably got Dallas Goedart on this roster and aren't talking TE at all.

Daillest88

Reaction score
A year off probydid his body some good, hopefully we use him more in the mid passing game instead of these 3 yard routes

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jason Witten is a third-down making machine. The pressure he'll take off of Ezekiel Elliott is priceless

blueblood70

Reaction score
W t f ever..move on

Its insane here how much guys like Dez, Lee, and Witten just gets kicked under the rug and fans forget what they mean or meant to this teams..very disrespectful..

he wont come in here and hog snaps , theres a plan , hes affordable and his leadership and ability to help the other TEs will be beneficial..

the team will get it figured out

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Whatever bro.
Witten's back at a low figure and is probably a role player at this point. Has great hands and is a route running safety net for Dak.
I got no beef with this deal, unlike his old deal.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jerry likes famous name players, and witten is one, and the jones boys are to blame for witten being signed again.
It isnt wittens fault.
I imagine he is still in shape, he was always in shape and ready to go , thats why he didnt miss games.
He can still be a good receiving TE. And he is cheaper now, I think he was 8 mil a year before.
The jones boys like witten, so he can play here till he is 50 or so.