Witten is returning because he believes this team is super bowl caliber

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The team is super bowl bound. Just not with him playing 99% of the snaps. And getting paid 5 million

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who cares why Witten is returning? The question is why we're taking him back.
Loyalty, he's always been special in Booger's eyes and if they felt he was going to lose his gig at ESPN and they could give him a soft landing, they would do it. Remember, it's not all about winning to Booger. He doesn't have to win and he wanted Witten back in the family and he'll go into coaching the TE's next season. He's returning home because he got homesick.

All you had to do was watch that really long retirement speech last year and hear how he spoke to the Jones family to know he is part of their family. He called Booger's wife "Mama Gene" and there were grandkids wiping tears away. That's the upside of a family run operation, some get adopted into the family and Witten's one of them.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Witt must have really hated Linehan's offense.
That or he really believes in Kellen Moore.

Or it's aliens... it could all just be aliens.

Ozone22

Reaction score
Could breaking Tony Gonzalez TE receiving record play apart in him returning?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
You don’t like?

You don’t approve?

Shame!

I think it's absolutely stupid to move backwards after going through great paints early last season and finally seeing progress moving forward.

I love Witten but he completely left the team in the lurch at the last minute, failed in the booth, and now wants to come back?

Go enjoy your well earned retirement, man.

GenoT

Reaction score
Speaks VOLUMES about how good this team is that witten would leave his cushiony new job for one more year to run the table.

This is a make it or break it year.
Witten’s returning because the writing’s on the wall, regarding his broadcasting career.

Meanwhile, am looking forward to watching Dak call those 4yd underneath-routes to JW on 3rd-and-9.
:thumbup:

Mannix

Reaction score
The Clapping Carrot is probably picking up 1/2 of his salary in hopes it keeps him from getting S canned.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
HERE COMES THE BLITZ!!

If he still had the Juice to carry a team on critical passing downs I might agree. I guess this means were not giving up on on the 11, 12, and 13 check down passing formations. If Im beasely, Austin, and gathers im cleaning out my locker.

Kellen moore has now bought into the 4 td a year 3 plays over 20 yard everydown te scheme too.

Just when youd hope things were different Jerry just reaches into your chest and yanks your heart out.

I think the heart is still there but the odds of winning a SUPERBOWL just dropped dramatically. Another year of watching these everydown scrub te core entertain us with their 4td a year averages.

Best of luck Beasely. The everydown 3 te spread offense is still alive and well in Jerrysworld and its gonna be ugly. Everybody knows what that means as a slot wr and a second rb. Your services will be scarce.

Id be happier if they woulda signed lee to another 5yr- 90 million dollar contract. At least he rotates.

Brax

Reaction score
Speaks VOLUMES about how good this team is that witten would leave his cushiony new job for one more year to run the table.

This is a make it or break it year.
The only thing it speaks is ESPN was about to dump him, he's not a very good annalist, couldn't get a suit that fits,He moves slower than your granny, He falls down as soon as he's touched, Jerry had pity on him so he's back. Great cowboy but come on man, we have enough problems with Dak and DL. Should be interesting to watch any way.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Whether this club is or not is anyone's guess. They believe they're on the doorstep every season, so that really doesn't move the needle.

Garrett and the club worked to convince him to come back at various points last season and I don't suspect they ever stopped pursuing that.
that is because garrett cant spot talent at TE in the draft, and he cant develop it.
Parcells developed witten and Romo.
Witten can still play, but he isnt all that good at his age, as a receiver he can still be good, blocking etc, not so much.
The TE that played last year did ok, that wasnt why they lost to the Rams though !!
If you think witten could have helped them beat the rams, I dont know what to say.
Dallas has other issues and weak areas, that have little to do with TE, except in blocking, and in that area it isnt the guy
it is the play design.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
"Witten is returning because he believes this team is super bowl caliber"

Did he actually say that or is this just someone's opinion?
Since losing badly to the Rams in the divisional round the Cowboys have let T Will go, brought Witten back, and lost Randy Gregory. Not sure how that combination of moves turned them into a "Super Bowl caliber" team.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
I think it's absolutely stupid to move backwards after going through great paints early last season and finally seeing progress moving forward.

I love Witten but he completely left the team in the lurch at the last minute, failed in the booth, and now wants to come back?

Go enjoy your well earned retirement, man.

It does make you wonder that at the end of the season, if he doesn't think the team is a Super Bowl caliber team, will he retire again.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

This. We saw Dak hold the ball for an unprecedented number of sacks this year. Having a tight end who can be a consistent outlet if Prescott isn't comfortable with what he sees downfield is huge.

The other tight ends may be more dynamic than Witten in ability but they do not provide stability. This seems to be undervalued while fans gripe about the fact that Witten isn't a downfield target.

The Cowboys' front office already said tight end was going to be one of its top targets. Now, we're not forced to take one in the second round and can instead give these other ones a chance to show development and try to keep it from being necessary to use Witten more than it sounds like the team plans to. Their challenge is to be better than what Witten provides.

Now, there might have been some better options, but it's no guarantee Dallas was going to sign any of them and drafting one in the second round would have been hit or miss and would have cost us the opportunity to use that pick on another position of need.

Pants

Reaction score
so we are NOW superbowl caliber, what was the difference in 2018?

answer: lamehan

Go Dallas!