Witten is returning because he believes this team is super bowl caliber

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think we have about as much of a chance of reaching the Super Bowl as we have of getting ET to sign with us. ;)

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the reason he is coming back is that he sucked at being in the booth and will now try to get into coaching playing this one year is just him trying to get back so he can coach somewhere

Verdict

Reaction score
Speaks VOLUMES about how good this team is that witten would leave his cushiony new job for one more year to run the table.

This is a make it or break it year.

I believe that this team is very close to Super bowl level depending on who we keep and who we add via draft and free agency. I also believe that Witten ( mostly erroneously) believes that he is a key piece of that.

He left the booth because he knew he was failing at it badly.

lukin2006

Reaction score
This. We saw Dak hold the ball for an unprecedented number of sacks this year. Having a tight end who can be a consistent outlet if Prescott isn't comfortable with what he sees downfield is huge.

The other tight ends may be more dynamic than Witten in ability but they do not provide stability. This seems to be undervalued while fans gripe about the fact that Witten isn't a downfield target.

The Cowboys' front office already said tight end was going to be one of its top targets. Now, we're not forced to take one in the second round and can instead give these other ones a chance to show development and try to keep it from being necessary to use Witten more than it sounds like the team plans to. Their challenge is to be better than what Witten provides.

Now, there might have been some better options, but it's no guarantee Dallas was going to sign any of them and drafting one in the second round would have been hit or miss and would have cost us the opportunity to use that pick on another position of need.

After a week in which 2 DE's were suspended, I think Witten has solved a huge problem for at least 1 year. Next year we'll have our round 1 pick and maybe then we can target a TE...or Jarwin continues to get better. I'm happy Witten is back.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
jmo, but I think Witten is returning to Football to make a "graceful exit" from his broadcasting gig that he was going to be fired from. jmo, but I bet Witten gets hurt in training camp and never plays in another regular season game for the Dallas Cowboys. again jmo.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why draft another TE, especially in the 2nd round? This organization has wasted tons of 2nd round picks on TEs. Swaim, Jarwin and Schultz showed promise last season. Even Rico showed some slight improvement. They are young. Why stop that progress? Just to please an old retired TE? How does this move make the Offense faster, quicker and more explosive?
It doesn't make it more explosive, but it does give Dak a dependable receiver.

Mannix

Reaction score
I heard that Norm Granger may come back and play a little backup RB to spell Zeke.