Witten played 98.4% of the snaps in 2017

Aven8

Reaction score
Dak played 98.59% and both Fred and Collins played 100%.

The guy is a warrior, HOF, ROH, etc etc but that number has to change folks if we are going to go anywhere next year folks. That's just ridiculous.

What do you think happens? That number has to come down to at least 70% at least. But does JG and Linny have the clout to do it? We are the slowest offense in football right now!

J_Allen

Reaction score
He is definitely not a threat at tight end anymore. I don't understand what kind of offense we were running last year but it obviously didn't work. You have to wonder if the coaches were told to play Witten regardless of his production.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The guy is a warrior, HOF, ROH, etc etc but that number has to change folks if we are going to go anywhere next year folks. That's just ridiculous.

What do you think happens? That number has to come down to at least 70% at least. But does JG and Linny have the clout to do it? We are the slowest offense in football right now!
Garrett won't change it, but I think Jerry has given Linehan more power to do things on offense which might include determining who plays when.

Witten would be more effective with less snaps AND somebody else might develop if Witten plays less snaps.

Verdict

Reaction score

He needs to be cut!!!! What else do you need to know????

AzorAhai

Reaction score
He’s going to continue to play as many snaps as he physically can until his body breaks down or he retires. I know it’s a hot topic to talk about getting speed at the position or a vertical threat, but it’s just idle chatter that won’t happen until Witten says so.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Witten is a pro's pro but there hasn't been one yet that could beat father time. He's nowhere near the player he used to be and should not be logging as many snaps. He's never been one to make people miss and rip off huge chunks of yardage, but his YAC is now measured in inches. Great guy, a positive presence, just no longer a good football player. A tip of the cap #82 but your time is running out.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
He’s going to continue to play as many snaps as he physically can until his body breaks down or he retires. I know it’s a hot topic to talk about getting speed at the position or a vertical threat, but it’s just idle chatter that won’t happen until Witten says so.
And therein lies the problem when the players are running the team. I don't care what your name is or what you've done for the team you don't put yourself before it....This is why we need a coach who has control over situations and personnel.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As great as Witten was, his presence hinders the offense at times which is growing larger season by season. He is no longer a legit threat and teams don't worry about him near as much. While he can still block, that has diminished as well.

A proactive team would have already started lessening his snaps while developing another TE but not this team. He will be in there as long as he wants and that is another problem in itself.

If the Cowboys offense did not rely on him so much, a slow and aging TE would not be much of a concern. We have average WR's as it is and a young, dynamic TE would do wonders to open things up.

Mediocre recievers and a lesser Witten is not a good combo to have an above average offense moving forward.

I love Jason for the man, leader and player he is but it is past time to draft that explosive new type of TE coming out this generation. Rico, Swaim, etc don't count either, get that stud and not a project.

rpntex

Reaction score

He’s the most “complete” TE on the roster. The best combination of receiving and blocking skills. In fact, he’s the only true TE (Hanna and Swain are more H-backs). When he’s not on the field, defenses are bound to believe we’re not running the ball. For Dallas to be successful the running game has to work. Until somebody else comes along, his blocking ability is needed on the field.

The problem here is that too many posters look at his role one-dimensionally...how he affects the passing game, without thought for how he impacts the running game. As I said, take him off the field and you might as well tell the defense that were passing. Just one more thing for people to point out when they pull the “predictable” line out.

I agree, that number needs to be reduced somewhat. However, you can’t lose sight of what he brings to the run game.

rpntex

Reaction score
As great as Witten was, his presence hinders the offense at times which is growing larger season by season. He is no longer a legit threat and teams don't worry about him near as much. While he can still block, that has diminished as well.

A proactive team would have already started lessening his snaps while developing another TE but not this team. He will be in there as long as he wants and that is another problem in itself.

If the Cowboys offense did not rely on him so much, a slow and aging TE would not be much of a concern. We have average WR's as it is and a young, dynamic TE would do wonders to open things up.

Mediocre recievers and a lesser Witten is not a good combo to have an above average offense moving forward.

I love Jason for the man, leader and player he is but it is past time to draft that explosive new type of TE coming out this generation. Rico, Swaim, etc don't count either, get that stud and not a project.

Hinders the offense? Take him off the field and watch what happens with the run game (which is what this offense is built around).

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hinders the offense? Take him off the field and watch what happens with the run game (which is what this offense is built around).

His blocking is not what it used to be. It is still adequate but not near as dominate. I am not saying put him to pasture here but Dallas needs to be prepared soon for his replacement whom is not on the current roster.

Father time catches up to everyone and Witten is no exception.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
His blocking is not what it used to be. It is still adequate but not near as dominate. I am not saying put him to pasture here but Dallas needs to be prepared soon for his replacement whom is not on the current roster.

His fastest 40 time was 4.65 he ran a 4.66 last season yep he is slowing down lost about 1 100th of a step

rpntex

Reaction score

With this I agree. He’s still the best blocking TE on the team, and the running game suffers without him until somebody better comes along.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His fastest 40 time was 4.65 he ran a 4.66 last season yep he is slowing down lost about 1 100th of a step

Quote me on where I said anything related to 40 times, it has no bearing since he has never been a burner. My whole stance is finding that new type TE who can block and get upfield and maybe learn a thing or two from Witten before he retires while seeing significant snaps.