News: Witten says its his job to make it tough on the coaches to not play him

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
It ain't? How so?
Because the FO won't let it be an open competition. They'll play the player that's getting paid the most. That way they dont look stupid and the fanbase won't be calling for a player to be released. So Tyrone Crawford will be your starting 3tech no matter what, because of his contract. Hill and Collins will never be given a real chance.

It's stupid, I know. But that's the way this organization is ran.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s holding up valuable playing time for the younger guys. He needs to bow out after this year. I just don’t see him him as a huge factor at this point.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's sad that some can find fault with a player stating that his job is to play well enough to force the coaches to have him on the field. It's up to the other tight ends to step up and show they deserve to be on the field more than Witten. That's what building a team is about ... competition.

We should hope every player on this team has the same attitude Witten does.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He’s holding up valuable playing time for the younger guys. He needs to bow out after this year. I just don’t see him him as a huge factor at this point.
I totally agree with this. Wittens last season he was getting called more and more for holding and he was also too much of a security blanket for short safe throws on 3rd down. I view Witten as a temptation to Dak to check the ball down too early and settle for 5yds on 3rd and 7. I think Dak needs to get away from having such a high no risk completion percentage and push the ball a little bit further down the field. I would rather see Jarwin getting more playing time.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Overall, I think Witten should help but It'd be great if all our other TEs improved, also.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
There are more assumptions presented without evidence in this thread than there are actual posts.

Bring on training camp.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten knows his time in the booth is done, this will be like his internship for a future coaching job.

That's what I'm expecting and hoping for too. I heard a recent interview and he mentioned "mentoring" more than once, and I'm taking that to mean a gradual move toward coaching.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, but...we LIKE our guys.
Every team has things it could improve, but overall “our guys” aren’t all that bad. Otherwise we would t have won the division 2 of the last 3 years.

GMO415

Reaction score
Agreed, but if he is the guy that is giving us the best chance to win on Sundays and get to the Super Bowl. I don't really care if the young kids behind him aren't getting their developmental playing time. I think you would agree.
Most definitely