Twitter: Witten wants to play, but could it be with the Giants?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you dont think garrett is pulling for witten to come with him? rofl,, You dont know garrett at all
The only thing we know is that they have a relationship, but we have no idea if Witten would play for another team, especially to play a greatly diminished role as he likely would with Evan Engram on the Giants.

What you are talking about doesn't recognize that Garrett is in a different situation than we have seen him in, or that the Giants are in a different situation than what Witten cam back to with the Cowboys in 2019. While it's true he and Witten are close, he isn't inheriting Witten with the Giants the way he did with the Cowboys, and the Giants are in a situation where the returning players have little to no experience. Garrett is inheriting Engram, along with Kaden Smith who had a solid rookie season in a part time role, and Rhett Ellison who is a long time backup that can also catch passes.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
It is strange.

I have seen every TE to ever play for us.

He is light years the best.

And for so long.

OMG.

I appreciate how Jerrah will keep his favorite players another year or so and not just cut them. They get a little severance pay that way.

Players see this and know.
Ware says hi

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ok, if we’re going to cherry pick, can I select 8 games to support my stance that Zeke ain’t all that?

Going by the most recent games is not cherry picking. 8 games is a significant sample. Pick the last 8 of Zeke and go to town.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Emmitt might have been, but I feel like he was just another player who wasn't ready to call it quits. Tony Dorsett did the same thing, going to Denver for a season when he had little left in the tank.

I don't think Witten is the type to be eyeing career numbers. I think he legitimately wants to keep playing, and I can't really blame him for that. Even here, I think he would be liable to be a better No. 2/blocking tight end than other players we could put out there (unless Schultz has been held back by the previous staff). He's clearly not a No. 1 anymore except for a team that doesn't have a good, young starter ... and he shouldn't even just be given the No. 2 role.

Old vets have a place, but that place shouldn't be an automatic spot ahead of younger players. Not saying that Jarwin or Schultz deserved to be ahead of him — I don't think we have enough evidence to determine that — just that I don't think they were really given a shot at beating him out.

Of course, Witten still ended up eighth among tight ends in receptions this year, so maybe his starting spot was more deserved than fans feel. He only averaged 8.4 yards per reception so that's too low, but it's possible that him being that outlet for Dak and a better blocker than our other options is part of the reason our sacks allowed decreased dramatically last year.

Witten may just looking for a decent job for a Gold Jacket guy. He was a dud as an announcer, so he went back to the field. So it's play or coach. If McCarthy had let him coach TEs, he probably would have gone for that. Probably wants more than assistant TE coach. So playing looks better.

But he's probably had talks with Emmitt about his legacy and retirement. Emmitt was very goal oriented. The only personal goals left for Witten are padding his career stats.

cml750

Reaction score
He should have stayed retired the first time. Thanks for the great memories but we are ready to move on. If he goes to the Gnats so be it. He can help Garrett clap on the sidelines.

aria

Reaction score
Going by the most recent games is not cherry picking. 8 games is a significant sample. Pick the last 8 of Zeke and go to town.
So time line matters? You’re wasting my time. I’m sure you have an excuse for every game which is why I don’t even want to get into this but since you challenged.

1) NYG 53 yards
2) Green Bay 62 yards
3) New Orleans 35 yards
4) Minnesota 47 yards
5) Detroit 45 yards
6) Philadelphia 47 yards
7) Buffalo 71 yards
8) Chicago 81 yards

*Championships = ZERO = EWOK = Wasted money

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So time line matters? You’re wasting my time. I’m sure you have an excuse for every game which is why I don’t even want to get into this but since you challenged.

1) NYG 53 yards
2) Green Bay 62 yards
3) New Orleans 35 yards
4) Minnesota 47 yards
5) Detroit 45 yards
6) Philadelphia 47 yards
7) Buffalo 71 yards
8) Chicago 81 yards

*Championships = ZERO = EWOK = Wasted money

You see, *that's* called cherry picking. Do better.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Witten may just looking for a decent job for a Gold Jacket guy. He was a dud as an announcer, so he went back to the field. So it's play or coach. If McCarthy had let him coach TEs, he probably would have gone for that. Probably wants more than assistant TE coach. So playing looks better.

But he's probably had talks with Emmitt about his legacy and retirement. Emmitt was very goal oriented. The only personal goals left for Witten are padding his career stats.

That's very presumptive.

aria

Reaction score
You see, *that's* called cherry picking. Do better.
Apparently you haven’t read the entire conversation or your lack of understanding of the English language leaves a lot to be desired, which is it?

I’m going to help you out, this isn’t a trick question. C’mon buddy, you can do it!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
People underestimate just how good witten still is. Our TE's sucked the year he was broadcasting. We are about to see just how good jarwin can be without the HOF'r. Being the #1 guy is much harder than being a #2.

quickccc

Reaction score
Bless him, I have no problem with that, and he has every right to continue his quest to keep playing the game until he cannot set feet anymore on the field.
We saw it happen with past prime players such as Emmitt Smith when he was cut and went to finish out his playing career with Arizona Cardinals.
I like it far better when great ex-Cowboys players can finish their careers out as Cowboys, but if they want to try to continue elsewhere ..so be it.

and he doesn't worry me as a player in the least. he's a JAG now, he's not 4.4 speed Evan Ingram who can easily hit the deep middle seams. but between Ingrams's injury history, Witt could
actually see time under Garrett.

I doubt he would have had near as many reps under a proper coaching system besides Garrett. and i'm one that tends to believe the rumor that Garrett tried to talk Witten out of sudden retirement
even during the NFL season.
and it was a joke that he was only going to get the least of the reps vs Jarwin, as both Garrett and Witten were too built in and set in their ways for it to be any different.

But it was just yet another sign that showed how dysfunctional and poorly directed this team was.

Cmac

Reaction score
Witt like a Boxer in the ring, one too many times.