Women's World Cup

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Something doesn't seem right with those revenue numbers.

As good as the women's team is they still drew over 10k less people a game in 2018. 24k to 14k
Yeah don't know...here is an interesting passage...

It is important to note that US Soccer packages both the MNT and WNT together when they sell broadcasting rights. This makes it difficult to attribute the revenue generated by those deals to one team over the other. However, the most valuable of the broadcasting rights, the rights to the World Cup, are sold by FIFA, the International Federation for soccer, and US Soccer does not generate revenue directly from those rights.

END

US doesn't generate revenue directly from the WC TV rights is a bit surprising - I would have thought all the teams participating would get something.

Just as an FYI - Mens
A Fifa-commissioned review of World Cup viewing says the final's television audience was 516.6 million. Fifa says more than 3.5 billion people viewed some of the 2018 World Cup, with 1.12 billion watching at least one minute of France beating Croatia 4-2 in the final.

Womens..
TF1, France’s rights broadcaster, said the game was the most watched program on French TV so far this year, attracting 10.7 million viewers, or just over half of the total viewing audience.

Meanwhile, France’s earlier round of 16 win over Brazil attracted the biggest single television audience for a Women’s World Cup match ever — with a total of 35.2 million people watching in Brazil.

The previous record for a single broadcast at the Women’s World Cup was the 2015 final between the U.S. and Japan, which was watched by 25.4 million people.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Something doesn't seem right with those revenue numbers.

As good as the women's team is they still drew over 10k less people a game in 2018. 24k to 14k

That's all about the popularity of the opponents. US men play Brazil. Colombia, and Mexico whereas the Women play far more games against clubs no one cares to see. Two or three times a year. The women play the same country twice, thus splitting the attendance. They also play far more games and have greater total attendance.

Let's not kid ourselves and think those bigger attendance #s for the men are about their team. It's about getting a chance to see Neymar or James or Lozano.

But yeah, pay the men more because Neymar is a big draw.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
That's all about the popularity of the opponents. US men play Brazil. Colombia, and Mexico whereas the Women play far more games against clubs no one cares to see. Two or three times a year. The women play the same country twice, thus splitting the attendance. They also play far more games and have greater total attendance.

Let's not kid ourselves and think those bigger attendance #s for the men are about their team. It's about getting a chance to see Neymar or James or Lozano.

But yeah, pay the men more because Neymar is a big draw.

They drew over 25k vs Peru so that argument doesn't quite hold water.

They both played a friendly vs Mexico the men drew over 40k, while the women drew 26k

The World Cup for the women in France vs France, #1 vs #2, drew 45k. No way can you argue that the women's game is as popular as the men's, even as bad as the men's team has been as of late.

That may change after this World Cup, but their pay wasn't negotiated based on that.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yeah don't know...here is an interesting passage...

It is important to note that US Soccer packages both the MNT and WNT together when they sell broadcasting rights. This makes it difficult to attribute the revenue generated by those deals to one team over the other. However, the most valuable of the broadcasting rights, the rights to the World Cup, are sold by FIFA, the International Federation for soccer, and US Soccer does not generate revenue directly from those rights.

END

US doesn't generate revenue directly from the WC TV rights is a bit surprising - I would have thought all the teams participating would get something.

Just as an FYI - Mens
A Fifa-commissioned review of World Cup viewing says the final's television audience was 516.6 million. Fifa says more than 3.5 billion people viewed some of the 2018 World Cup, with 1.12 billion watching at least one minute of France beating Croatia 4-2 in the final.

Womens..
TF1, France’s rights broadcaster, said the game was the most watched program on French TV so far this year, attracting 10.7 million viewers, or just over half of the total viewing audience.

Meanwhile, France’s earlier round of 16 win over Brazil attracted the biggest single television audience for a Women’s World Cup match ever — with a total of 35.2 million people watching in Brazil.

The previous record for a single broadcast at the Women’s World Cup was the 2015 final between the U.S. and Japan, which was watched by 25.4 million people.

How about this:
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soc...les-setting-records/f8zi6udmh4ee192swg8rd8g27

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

They both played a friendly vs Mexico the men drew over 40k, while the women drew 26k

The World Cup for the women in France vs France, #1 vs #2, drew 45k. No way can you argue that the women's game is as popular as the men's, even as bad as the men's team has been as of late.

That may change after this World Cup, but their pay wasn't negotiated based on that.
The US Womens Soccer team is much more popular than the men’s. The highest jersey sales anywhere right now is their jersey. Old farts just can’t handle the truth and are pissed because of the stance the women are making.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

1. Their pay wasn't negotiated

2. Fewer games will drive larger attendance at each game

3. Arguing against equal pay is a pretty bad look. Generating excuses for it supports inequity.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Also. Substantial Peruvian populations in Hartford, New York, and New Jersey. That's who are filling the stands. Again, not about the men's team drawing

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The US Womens Soccer team is much more popular than the men’s. The highest jersey sales anywhere right now is their jersey. Old farts just can’t handle the truth and are pissed because of the stance the women are making.

So in middle of the women's World Cup their jerseys are selling better.

If that isn't proof, I don't know what is.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
1. Their pay wasn't negotiated

2. Fewer games will drive larger attendance at each game

3. Arguing against equal pay is a pretty bad look. Generating excuses for it supports inequity.

There is no such thing as equal pay in sports, entertainment etc.

You are paid based on the revenue your sport generates and how popular you are.

Using your logic, Brooke Henderson should be paid the same as Tiger Woods.

Also. Substantial Peruvian populations in Hartford, New York, and New Jersey. That's who are filling the stands. Again, not about the men's team drawing

So why did the men draw 14k more then women did in their friendly matches vs Mexico in 2018?

Like I said they may end up being far more popular, but that is a new thing.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So in middle of the women's World Cup their jerseys are selling better.

If that isn't proof, I don't know what is.
Here’s an example of some ignorant *** inserting foot in mouth. I guess you didn’t read the link I posted earlier or do any research. I know it takes a bit of effort. Here’s an excerpt:
“The USA Women’s Home jersey is now the No. 1 soccer jersey, men’s or women’s, ever sold on Nike.com in one season,” said Mark Parker, Nike’s president and CEO, during the company’s earnings call on Thursday.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Here’s an example of some ignorant *** inserting foot in mouth. I guess you didn’t read the link I posted earlier or do any research. I know it takes a bit of effort. Here’s an excerpt:
“The USA Women’s Home jersey is now the No. 1 soccer jersey, men’s or women’s, ever sold on Nike.com in one season,” said Mark Parker, Nike’s president and CEO, during the company’s earnings call on Thursday.

Since there is no F'in link in your comment to me you must be the ignorant one.

I don't read every person's post and all articles linked in them.

And you can't seem to read that I already conceded that they may be popular right now, but their salaries were not based on that. Unless the soccer federation could predict the future or know the USMNT would miss the World Cup etc..

AbeBeta

Reaction score
There is no such thing as equal pay in sports, entertainment etc.

You are paid based on the revenue your sport generates and how popular you are.

Using your logic, Brooke Henderson should be paid the same as Tiger Woods.

So why did the men draw 14k more then women did in their friendly matches vs Mexico in 2018?

Like I said they may end up being far more popular, but that is a new thing.

That's ridiculous when you are paid to represent your country. You could say this about professional sports play. But saying it about playing for your national team is absurd.

Same job requirements. Same work (actually more for the women). Far better results. Less pay.

On the national team.

What a horrific look for the nation.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
That's ridiculous when you are paid to represent your country. You could say this about professional sports play. But saying it about playing for your national team is absurd.

Same job requirements. Same work (actually more for the women). Far better results. Less pay.

On the national team.

What a horrific look for the nation.

Most people expected the US to qualify for the World Cup, hence the pay discrepancies.

Has absolutely nothing to do with gender.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Since there is no F'in link in your comment to me you must be the ignorant one.

I don't read every person's post and all articles linked in them.

And you can't seem to read that I already conceded that they may be popular right now, but their salaries were not based on that. Unless the soccer federation could predict the future or know the USMNT would miss the World Cup etc..
You’re hell bent on sticking your foot in mouth so let me highlight it for you:

To help your comprehension of the English language, the key word is EVER!

Sorry, but I have no patience for ignorance.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
You’re hell bent on sticking your foot in mouth so let me highlight it for you:

To help your comprehension of the English language, the key word is EVER!

Sorry, but I have no patience for ignorance.

Good then do us all a favor and ****

Their sales this season have nothing to do with salaries that what determined a year plus ago. But it is obvious you can't get that piece of the puzzle through your thick skull so I will stop the conservation here as well.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Good then do us all a favor and ****

Their sales this season have nothing to do with salaries that what determined a year plus ago. But it is obvious you can't get that piece of the puzzle through your thick skull so I will stop the conservation here as well.
You’re as clueless as the piece of gum on my shoe.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Most people expected the US to qualify for the World Cup, hence the pay discrepancies.

Has absolutely nothing to do with gender.

Wow. Straight up denial there.

Women get way less because the men suck. Boys get more if they do good. Women get a quarter of the boys if they do the same.

Your argument is pitiful. If it was reversed would you expect the men to earn less?