Working Out...Time Of Day/Motivation

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think it really matters.

I’ve switched from some generic grocery store whey, to GNC brand, to ON, now on Dymatize… It’s all the same. I mean there are differences, but nothing substantial except taste. Unless you’re competing seriously, any of them work fine.

It doesn't really matter.

Some proteins may have a better amino acid profile but it won't make a huge difference.

I always look for a protein that is priced well and has the best flavor and calories to grams of protein ratio. I used Muscle pharm for years because of this.

Recently though I've stopped using protein powders and spend my extra 50 dollars on food like Greek Yogurt, chicken, egg beaters.

Protein powders are convenient but if you can just warm up some food wouldn't you rather have that?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter.

Some proteins may have a better amino acid profile but it won't make a huge difference.

I always look for a protein that is priced well and has the best flavor and calories to grams of protein ratio. I used Muscle pharm for years because of this.

Recently though I've stopped using protein powders and spend my extra 50 dollars on food like Greek Yogurt, chicken, egg beaters.

Protein powders are convenient but if you can just warm up some food wouldn't you rather have that?

Yeah, protein supplements are just a convenience thing. The word “supplement” should be taken literally-- only used to finish the job your actual food couldn’t do that day, and help you reach your goals.

But of course, if you have real food that you’re able to knock down, then you should do that.

That said, when I bulk, I eat about 3600 calories in pretty clean food. It’s a beating for me. One added benefit of being able to drink about 10% of that caloric intake is that the protein shakes make me hungrier somehow. I’d have a much tougher time hitting that goal without whey/casein.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I drink water all day long at work along with 1 cup of coffee in the morning.

Typically I eat a banana every morning, along with either oatmeal, yogurt or a bagel.

Lunch isn't as good. Whole wheat turkey or ham sandwich, potato chips, and normally some kind of junky snack.

Dinner varies, but it has been bad lately with the kids playing sports. I have very little free time at night, until about 8 or 830 pm. At that point, cooking isn't happening. With sports ending in another 2 weeks, the wife and I plan on eating better at night.

We do use ground turkey over ground beef. But we do eat too many processed foods at times, such as hamburger helper, mac n cheese, and instant mashed potatoes.

Dinner is the toughest to control. I live with my girlfriend and she’s quick to turn down pretty much everything that fits into my diet, because 1.) it will never compare to a burger and fries and 2.) there aren’t as many options readily available, so the selections get old.

I’m assuming you experience this 10 fold with children and the responsibilities that come along with them.

So my best recommendation would be minding your calories. If you have a smart phone, I would recommend downloading My Fitness Pal* and logging what you eat to keep track of macronutrients (proteins, carbs, fats) and calories. If you can’t eat the healthiest of foods every night, portion control is your friend and My Fitness Pal is a nice sidekick to keep you in check.

*my fitness pal is also accessible via tablet or personal computer; the mobile app is just more convenient to have on you throughout the day.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
You'll never be able to maintain a "diet" such as this. And you don't have to. Instead of a diet, work on building your meals based on protein (chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc.) with lots of veggies and fruits and low carb foods like brown rice which you currently eat. Once you figure out some good recipes, you can eat this for the rest of your life with a healthy heart, high energy and stamina. And it all tastes good.

I've been using that diet template for over 3 months now and lost 15 lbs of body fat, but lately I hit a stall and need to make minor adjustments here and there.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I've been using that diet template for over 3 months now and lost 15 lbs of body fat, but lately I hit a stall and need to make minor adjustments here and there.

You'll never be able to do it for a life time.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Here's my transformation photo. I'd be willing to help anyone achieve their goals as well. Just hit me up. I still have a lot to go too.

http://i813.***BLOCKED***/albums/zz59/cowboys2497/unnamed_zps654a7921.jpg

bark

Reaction score
Here's my transformation photo. I'd be willing to help anyone achieve their goals as well. Just hit me up. I still have a lot to go too.

Awesome job cowboy. Whatever your doing seems to be working . Congratulations man

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
I cook chicken in the crock pot, in bulk. Flavor it however you want right in the pot, sometimes I toss in carrots with it and just let it cook for like 6 hours or so. I'm talking 5+ pounds of chicken at a time. I shred it all and just put it in a big container. Can make sandwhiches, salads, I put it in rice, whatever I feel like throughout the week.

A lot of brown rice. Sometimes I do ground beef in the crock pot as well 'cause I like to get some fattier red meat once or twice a week. I make some red beans/rice with ground beef. Lotta fiber in beans!

Peanut Butter, Oatmeal, chicken, rice. These are like my staples right now.
I go through carrots and broccoli like no tomorrow. Been doing a lot of sweet potatoes as well.

Currently doing a macro diet (no gimmick really)

180g protein
100g fat
30g fiber

I try to get about 180g of Carbs, but it's not super important, so long as I'm getting the above 3.

This puts me at about 2300 calories. And my diet is 2500. So I kind of fill the last 200 cals with extra of whatever I want. Sometimes I go higher on one or the other depending on how many carbs I eat.

I'm down nearly 30 pounds so far.

Szczepanik

Reaction score

Awesome transformation!!! Congrats!!

Szczepanik

Reaction score
A supplement's purpose is first and foremost... to SUPPLEMENT your food.

Food is el numero uno. Protein powder is great post workout and when you are struggling to meet your protein intake per day. However your food sources will be the role carrier of how you gain or lose weight.

Some brands have alot of fillers in it, which can be harder to distinguish. I personally use Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey. It is super easy to mix up, tastes great and has no fillers.

One of these days I will show my progress picture. http://instagram.com/szczepanik00

I have 2 pictures on there, one is from my cut from 220. I went from 165 lbs up to 220 as a heavy bulk, back down to that current weight ~195.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
A supplement's purpose is first and foremost... to SUPPLEMENT your food.

Food is el numero uno. Protein powder is great post workout and when you are struggling to meet your protein intake per day. However your food sources will be the role carrier of how you gain or lose weight.

Some brands have alot of fillers in it, which can be harder to distinguish. I personally use Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey. It is super easy to mix up, tastes great and has no fillers.

One of these days I will show my progress picture. http://instagram.com/szczepanik00

I have 2 pictures on there, one is from my cut from 220. I went from 165 lbs up to 220 as a heavy bulk, back down to that current weight ~195.

Wow.. Aesthetics.

But as he said, supplements are just that. You don't need to take protein powder if you're getting enough protein from food.

I would recommend a good multi vitamin and fish oil though.