World Cup: USA vs France thread

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3992110 said:
Anyone think Japan is a bad match up for the US?

All those short little girls running around keeping the ball the entire match kinda scares me.

This will be our fourth match against Japan this season and so far we are 3-0 with a composite scoreline of 6-1. Japan will be playing the same women we saw the in three previous matches, so there is no reason to think we should not beat them.

Japan has not beaten our women dating back to 1986. The best they had was a string of three draws in friendly competition between 2000 and 2004.

The U.S/ Women have also never lost in their final match at the WWC.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Cythim;3992141 said:
This will be our fourth match against Japan this season and so far we are 3-0 with a composite scoreline of 6-1. Japan will be playing the same women we saw the in three previous matches, so there is no reason to think we should not beat them.

Japan has not beaten our women dating back to 1986. The best they had was a string of three draws in friendly competition between 2000 and 2004.

The U.S/ Women have also never lost in their final match at the WWC.

And all that can be thrown out the window, you still have to play on Sunday.

The Japanese girls are all technically sound and well coached, they were HEAVY underdogs against Germany and look what happened.

I hope the US women aren't taking them lightly.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Wambach has a height advantage over most women... I imagine it will be an even bigger advantage against the Japanese. :)

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
peplaw06;3992195 said:
Wambach has a height advantage over most women... I imagine it will be an even bigger advantage against the Japanese. :)

Yup, and the Swedish girls came in as the tallest squad at an average of 5'8"

bigger than the Germans or US and the Japanese girls came in as one of the smallest at 5'4" IIRC.

I do think we'll win but it won't be easy.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
nyc-cowboy;3992192 said:
And all that can be thrown out the window, you still have to play on Sunday.

The Japanese girls are all technically sound and well coached, they were HEAVY underdogs against Germany and look what happened.

I hope the US women aren't taking them lightly.

Of course, any given Sunday and all of that. I don't think our women are prone to take games like this lightly. It is the World Cup Final and both teams want to win badly.

Though I wouldn't hate to see Japan win considering what happened to their country earlier this year.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Whoever was saying that the women play an ejoyable game was right.

I dont know what it is, maybe they are better stoppers, or mabe its b/c the defense is too slow and afraid to make a move but it was an enjoyable watch.

And France had a hot chick of their own

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Key to winning will be good crosses and corners to get Wambach chances at the goal with her header.

Japanese are very short - defense on crosses and corners is going to be tough against our squad. Plus our defense is pretty good and aggressive.

I think we win 3-1.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Cythim;3992234 said:
Of course, any given Sunday and all of that. I don't think our women are prone to take games like this lightly. It is the World Cup Final and both teams want to win badly.

Though I wouldn't hate to see Japan win considering what happened to their country earlier this year.

I agree, if we had to lose to anybody - them I wouldn't mind.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3991891 said:
Looks like it's Japan in the final. I'll foot the legal bill to have Hope Solo change her name to "Enola Gay" for a day.

:laugh2: